The County Hotel
US$142
US$144
US$105
Priceline
Close House Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
TripAdvisor
All reviewseggs florentinerecent refurbishmentpublic car parksunday lunchlunchtime menupleasant surroundingspopular with the localsvisiting hexhamcooked breakfasthanging basketspaninigood nights sleeplovely hotelbeautiful roomfull englishdeluxe roomfish and chips
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

I visited The County with a friend recently. I was massively disappointed, the food wasn't good at all and the oversized manager was incredibly rude, throwing his weight around...quite literally. I have never heard anyone speak to their staff in such a way. That man needs to learn some manners. If he wants this place to be a success he needs to change his attitude. This business has been relaunched, supposedly more upmarket, I found nothing about this place upmarket. I certainly won't be back!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rosyd89
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

It was my second visit for lunch. We were 3 adults and two toddlers. We had a nice table with plenty of room for highchairs and to store the buggies. Food was lovely and good value (£5-6 per meal) for bacon and brie sandwich, steak sandwich, cheese burger - all served with very tasty chunky homemade chips. My husband was in a rush as on lunch break so we ordered his food first which we were assured would be served within 10 mins and it was. The pub looks really stylish. Will defo return.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Before the refurbishment I used to be a regular, the old county was quirky, the food was lovely & the personal feel service was exceptional. They had traditional & local beers. Now the decor is nice & modern, it has lost its quirkiness but it is nicely done. The food is distinctly average, the sandwiches are sparsely filled, the burgers are processed & are cheaply made, the kids menu was good. The waitresses we had were nice and attentive, the waiters needed some customer service training. There's a lot of room for improvement, but there should be room for some teething problems, it might improve with time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Foodismyhobbie
County H, Manager at The County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Hi there,

Sorry you had these issues on your visit, I just wanted to let you know that we are currently working on further staff training in regards to food service.

In regards to the menu, we will be rolling out an improved bar menu as of Wednesday next week, which will now be incorporating more 'home comfort' style food, such as Steak & Ale pie, Mince & Dumplings, Fish Pie etc.

I do hope you return so we can' show you that we are working on the teething issues.

Thanks for your feedback,

Scott

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We just called into the County this evening after having a couple of drinks in the Tap and Spile to listen to the live music. My partner went to the loo whilst I went to the bar to order the not the cheapest drinks in Hexham!
I was the only one at the bar with the manager sitting discussing facebook or something with a friend.
By the time my partner returned from the loo, I had still not been served, nor had the manager seen fit to acknowledge my presence, let alone tear himself away from facebook, or whatever, to attend to my needs.
What a shame the customer service is not living up to the investment that has been put into the hotel.
Perhaps a visit to the Angel at Corbridge is in order to see how customer service shoud be carried out.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your visit. I assure you that its never our intention to ignore customers, and I'm sure that was just an oversight on the managers part. We do hope you can give us another chance as we are working hard to make The County the kind of place that Hexham deserves.

Thanks for your feedback,

Scott

Reviewed 27 November 2013

The newly refurbished County is very smart - classy neutral toned decor, which makes for a very pleasant atmosphere in which to eat and dine.
The food is very good and well presented.
They have numbers on the tables now, which they didn't have when they first opened which helps
with the ordering system, I think they should up the ante just a little more though and provide ordering at the table service.
It is aiming at an up market clientelle and having to order meals at the bar just detracts a little from the overall experience.
Have eaten there a number of times since it opened and will be going again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family