“nice new hotel in Hexham”
Review of The County Hotel

The County Hotel
Ranked #6 of 62 Hexham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My wife and I had a couple of nights here over the Christmas period. It was a good experience: quality new decor, excellent service, good bar, super cooked breakfast. We had one of the larger rooms overlooking the street, and my tip for light sleepers would be - get back to the hotel after the last drinkers have been ejected from the bar!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Just had a weekend break at the county hotel , firstly the hotel is really well done out, and we had the deluxe room rm2 (if your a light sleeper this room is not for you, I slept like a baby) lovely comfortable bed, but on the main road , breakfast was included & was a choice of cooked food cereal & toast, piping hot well cooked & well presented , a girl called niki seemed to be front of house all weekend, & nothing is a bother for her she will attend your every need, the afternoon tea is delicious & at £7.50 worth every penny, we didn't order from the resturants menu, but did have a bar meal, it was beautifully cooked, I had no issues with any staff they were all lovely, polite, & friendly , over all I would recommend the county,

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Booked in at the restaurant for a meal at the end of Dec 2013. After reading all the press reports leading up to the reopening our expectations were high. We love food, regularly eat at good restaurants in Hexham and were delighted that there was now a place resembling Corbridge's Angel, or so we thought.

On entering, the interior looks great and you can see where the reported 700 grand has been put in. It looks like a stage set, however due to the incredibly powerful lighting you actually feel on stage!

On approaching the bar, it immediately struck me that they didn't serve local beers. Shame.

Once in the restaurant I was pleased to see a good selection of wine that were reasonably priced. We went for a Rioja that was very nice, perfect temperature and the waitress offered water alongside it.

My wife and I realised after ordering our meals that we had been reading from slightly different menus and that the ones from the night before had been left out. Looking across all the tables had the same issue. On informing the waitress she was unclear which was which but didn't seem too concerned.

I went for a Serloin steak at 16.95 and my wife went for a fillet steak at 24.95. We were expecting something pretty special for that price. Well........considering that we both ordered ours rare we were hugely disappointed with our dry steaks with meagre accompaniments. The 'fat' chips were just chips and dry at that. The icing on the cake was when my wife found a piece of paper (about the size of a post it note) in her meal, the kind that goes under a piece of meat in ready meals packaging.

Dessert was fine but again not really worth the price paid for them.

By this time we felt as if we should leave as the waitress started spraying and wiping the tables down with disinfectant spray. We kind of got the impression that at just after 9pm they wanted us to move on.

The one redeeming feature ( our Rioja ) was taken to the bar on our request after our meal which we gladly emptied. On asking if we could get some more, suggesting another two glasses, I was politely refused. Not because we had drunk too much, no, they didn't serve that wine by the glass!? I asked for two waters, suffered the ultra LED spot lights for another 15 minutes and left.

I awoke the next morning with a feeling that I had just spent a whole load of money on a substandard meal. We won't be going back to The County in a hurry.

I attempted to leave feedback on their website 'contact us' area and I received no reply.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank T T
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We booked a table for Christmas lunch - what a mistake - my wife had soup which was very poor, I had pate which you could nearly pour out of the ramakin, main course we chose salmon which was'nt bad but oh dear me the vegetables were very poor, parsnips which I love were beyond belief, the pudding was the only saving grace for the whole meal. Does this Hotel have a Chef or was it his day off? the serving staff were nt bad but the wine waiter was very abrupt in asking " do you want any drinks" needs to go school and learn how to deal with people. The Head Waiter was dressed in a black jumper - on Christmas Day?. On leaving the restaurant passed the bar to go for coffee - low and behold the staff were eating their lunch in full view of the public. I spent over £130 and would have expected better standard and value for money.
A vast amount of money was spent to revamp the whole building, it's just a pity that the investment does not shown in the quality of food and front of house management which was so poor
I hope the Management read this and learn, I have travelled all over the world and this experience deserves no more than a poor rating.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lambert058
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Popped in for lunch with a friend whilst out shopping. Lovely table and everything very clean and tidy. Food was excellent had burger and just love the chunky chips, creme brûlée to finish which was divine. Food was there within 5/10 minutes of ordering and could not fault the service. Very relaxed atmosphere and made to feel very welcome. Would definitely recommend and will be eating there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

I visited The County with a friend recently. I was massively disappointed, the food wasn't good at all and the oversized manager was incredibly rude, throwing his weight around...quite literally. I have never heard anyone speak to their staff in such a way. That man needs to learn some manners. If he wants this place to be a success he needs to change his attitude. This business has been relaunched, supposedly more upmarket, I found nothing about this place upmarket. I certainly won't be back!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rosyd89
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

It was my second visit for lunch. We were 3 adults and two toddlers. We had a nice table with plenty of room for highchairs and to store the buggies. Food was lovely and good value (£5-6 per meal) for bacon and brie sandwich, steak sandwich, cheese burger - all served with very tasty chunky homemade chips. My husband was in a rush as on lunch break so we ordered his food first which we were assured would be served within 10 mins and it was. The pub looks really stylish. Will defo return.

• Stayed: December 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hexham
Best Western Beaumont Hotel
#1 of 1 in Matfen
Slaley Hall
Slaley Hall
#1 of 1 in Slaley

Been to The County Hotel? Share your experiences!