“Cosy and comfortable without being posh.”
Review of The Sun Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Sun Inn
Ranked #54 of 62 Hexham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We arrived at about 3pm and were shown to our room right away. Our room although being smallish was spotlessly clean, kettle with plenty of tea, coffee milk etc. The mattresses had covers - no hairs anywhere. We were hoping for a double bed but it was no problem as the two singles locked together. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was spotless with plenty of fresh towels. We had full English breakfast and Lorraine despite being busy had time to chat with us. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tourist9to5

Reviewed 6 October 2013

we stayed at the sun inn last night 5th oct 2013 and all I can say is that we had a fantastic time
we were shown to our rooms straight away and we were well impressed nice furnishings nice soft bed and a spotless on suite room 4 brian and Lorraine are excellent hosts they couldn't do enough for us we were to late for food but it was no bother we just ate out
we had a great night out in hexham then back to the sun in for a good nights sleep
the full English breakfast was to die for we had the choice of 8 cereals, fresh coffee , tea and real fresh orange,the breakfast consisted of bacon ,sausage mushrooms tomatoes and hash browns and toast it set us up for the day
we would recommend the sun in to anyone

Room Tip: we had 3 rooms between us room 2 and room 4 were on suite room 2 was not but there is a bathroom dir...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We arrived on Sunday afternoon and went into the pub. Asked the guy behind the bar about our room and we were taken straight to it. The room was large with a large en suite and was light and airy. We went out to Hexham to have a meal as we were meeting some friends there and returned to the pub early evening. We stayed in the bar til late and were made very welcome.
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Check in and out was easy.
The bed was comfy with crisp clean white linen. For an overnight stay - who could ask for more??
I will stay there again when I venture back 'up North' to visit family and friends.

Room Tip: Room 4 was great!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I spent one night at the Sun Inn to break the drive home after a month in Scotland. The only parking is on the Main Street of this small village outside the Inn. Normally I would not have worried, but my hatchback car's backseat was down and the rear was full of luggage and household stuff which I did not want to unload and carry upstairs. As my belongings were in full view of passers-by, I was concerned about the safety of the car's contents overnight. The barman who checked me in, offered reassurance and kindly offered to lend me a spare sheet to cover my belongings. All was well in the morning.
The Inn does not serve food in the evenings any more. It is mainly a pub - with sports TVs - and with the few rooms above, they only do B&B now, leaving the other 2 pubs in the village to offer food. I ate at the Miners Arms, 50 metres up the street, which was busy with a party barbeque, but I was grateful to the landlord there for fitting me in; the food was typical pub fare.
My room was No. 3 which a fair size twin room with a good sized en-suite. All the usual necessities were there. It was clean, but the decor is in need of refreshing, especially new carpet. The bed was comfortable with crisp clean linens and I would have slept well except for pair of rowdy revelers returning at 2 am. However I can't complain as it was Saturday night of a bank holiday weekend and they sounded like they had been partying.
The breakfast was OK - nothing special, well cooked, but not much choice and only white toast. I met the landlady who was pleasant and chatty.
All in all, I was grateful to find a room at the Sun Inn at short notice on a busy bank holiday weekend, I have no complaints, but I won't rush to return or recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank wonwontutu
Reviewed 12 September 2012

arrived at 5.30pm on saturday afternoon,staff were not aware of our booking. landlady was out. we enquired about food and were told service would be about 6.30pm when landlady returned therefor we decided to go elseware to eat, returned at 7.30pm to check into our room ordered a drink at the bar and asked for our room keys just as well we had eaten elseware as there was no sign of food when we asked a customer she said they only served food during the week and sunday lunches.waited in the bar area and repeatedly requested room keys.....we eventually were given the keys when the bar closed at 1.00am sunday morning. it gets worse.. out of date milk in room for hot drinks breakfast disgusting, anemic microwaved bacon,sour sausage then asked to leave by 10.00am

Room Tip: dont go there
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Betty588
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Arrived at 17:45 having travelled from Bridlington after a day's work, I walked into the bar which was the only door open. The guy behind the bar came over with a set of room keys and said "follow me" I said do you know who I am" He replied I was the only woman booked in.
I followed him through the lounge and into a corridor after passing about 10 men watching the England match, as we went through the corridor at the bottom of the stairs he pointed out that one of the keys fitted the door to the street and asked me to use that door to prevent coming in through the bar, at this stage he offered to carry one of my bags.
When we got to the room he opened the door and I asked him where I could eat? He said "try miners up the road they should still be serving" The room on first impression looked bright and there was a big bathroom.
As I had travelled so far I decided to go straight out to eat and unpack later. After I had eaten at the miners up the road which I would thoroughly recommend for any one wanting to eat in the area, on my return to the Sun Inn I tried both beds to see which was the best and it was then I saw the fluff around the wheels on the bed away from the window. It was thick and so fluffy you could see it had only been hoovered up to the edge, It was awful I ran my hand over it and you could gather it up as it was that thick.
There was a smell of sweaty bodies in the room and the carpet has so many stains on it you would not walk bare footed on it.
Breakfast was served in the lounge area and there appeared to be only one more guest a male and I was put next to him on a single table next to his table, we were so close we might have been sitting on the same table. There was many tables in the lounge set up for meals so why the close contact with a stranger I ask myself?
The breakfast was very well presented and the land lady friendly, But I couldn't wait to check out, that consisted of just handing my key back. I never signed any register and I do worry about Health & Safety or fire safety as no one had any details or asked for them.
I rang my company and said "next time I have to work in Hexham area please do not book me in at this place"
I felt very vulnerable as a woman on my own.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Susan N
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Our family day out ended with a glorious meal at The Sun Inn at Acomb. The home made food, which was not only delicious, but plentiful. We later sat in the beer garden, and being such a wonderful warm day, was just what was needed after such a fabulous meal.
The proprietor and i assume his wife were so pleasant.
We shall definitely be returning to The Sun Inn again.

The Smith Family

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hexham
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ridsdale
Station Inn
Station Inn
#37 of 62 in Hexham

Been to The Sun Inn? Share your experiences!