“Boatside Inn”

Ranked #11 of 65 Hexham B&B and Inns
Kalaru
“Boatside Inn”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel was referred to us by the local Tourist Information Centre. There was absolutely nothing we could complain about, the accommodation was excellent, the food delicious, the breakfast was judged the best of all of our seven weeks of travelling in the UK. The owners were helpful with local knowledge and advice. We would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

12 of my family went for my birthday tea. We waited over an hour for our food. When it all arrived, my order was short of my chips and my peppercorn sauce to go with my fillet steak medallions. I waited another ten minutes for the chips and then again for the sauce. By the time they'd arrived I'd half eaten the rest. When the peppercorn sauce was brought the woman didn't even say sorry, she just plonked it on the table and walked off. Although this happened the food was really scrumptious, I just wish it could have all arrived together.
Four of my family ordered the fish and chips. Which every one if them was filled with bones. Two of the four were for children, who were put off by all of the bones, in case they choked. The two adults left roughly half of their meal.
Other than these problems with the food, and the rude staff, I had a lovely birthday tea out! I think that might have had more to do with the company I was with.
Not somewhere I would return to if in the area again.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Wilkokm
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed at the Boatside for 5 nights at the end of May. We used it as a base for visiting Hadrian's Wall and other local places and events of interest. The owners Paul and Carol were extremely helpful, giving excellent advice on how to get the best from our holiday. A special mention for Daniel, Carol's son, who was extra helpful and acted as a guide on our walk to Hexham. We stayed in the bedrooms in the annexe and they were first rate. The food was very good and the breakfast set you up for the day. We would happily stay here again. If you go at the same time you can enjoy the scarecrow trail. Worth seeing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
northumberland
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have eaten at the boatside before and food and service has usually been up to scratch. This time it wasn't, waited over an hour for our food to arrive, I understand it was bank holiday, but no one came over and apologised or told us how long it was going to take. When I asked where our food was , we got a sorry we are very busy , with an attitude. I think one hour 20min is a long time to wait for food. It spoilt js enjoying our meal as we had to rush it so we could get to the train station on time. The fish was lovely but the chips were not the big chunky homemade ones you usually get, but skinny frozen bought in ones. Very disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank pixiewicksy
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

A welcoming end with fine ales, pleasant surroundings and home cooked food to our very busy day. Only found by chance, but very good throughout. Only change I'd make is asking the landlord to smile a bit more.....lol. didn't spoil it mind. Very readonable. Menu varied and can recommend the home cooked fish and chips, but be warned ...Medium up north means Large. .... excellent pub, very homely...

• Stayed April 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have visited this pub a couple of times before for Sunday lunch and was really impressed, especially as the roast meats were locally produced/sourced in Northumberland and were very impressive and tasty.

On the back of previous good food we decided to visit on a Wednesday tea time for a quick meal whilst visiting the area. I initially made my way towards the restaurant where I was met by a woman and I asked her if the restaurant was open to which, instead of saying; 'Sorry its closed at the moment but I could get a meal in the bar - with cheery notes' Instead I just got 'You can get a meal in the bar' with an slight attitude as if we customers were an irritation.

I had a starter of green lipped mussels and a portion of chips and my husband had the 'Boatside Burger' The mussels in their sauce with crusty bread were lovely HOWEVER ! Really Really rubbish chips. A lovely country Inn serving local produce should be able to cut a potato up into chips and cook them and make a huge difference on the menu by being able to say 'home made chips'! The chips that were served were of the frozen variety - very thin and crispy. Having said that if you like the 'Golden Gates' chips you'll probably like these!

I did not taste any of the 'Boatside Burger' but was told it had little taste and again served with the rubbish chips and a salad garnish. (I did think the very large slice of orange looked ridiculous and had no place on the plate)

Had I had a warmer welcome and real chips this would have been a totally different review. We have decided not to return in the future.

So to all you cooks/chefs who may read this please make real chips !!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank No1tealady
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Yesterday I made a special trip from Newcastle to go for lunch at the Boathouse. As usual, the food was very good, but the welcome was far from warm, enough to make me feel uncomfortable, so much so that I felt unable to compliment them on the food as we usually do when we leave. The welcome and the service are an important part of the eating-out occasion. I am saddened to think it will be a long time before I make a special trip to go to the Boathouse again.

Stayed March 2014