“Improvement On The Maintenance/ Up Keep”

QLodges Slaley Hall
E.lothian
“Improvement On The Maintenance/ Up Keep”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We only managed to stay 3 nights of our time share week, this year due to work commitments. But we noticed an improvement on the general up keep and maintenance of the properties as the week is not cheap! As previously we had cause for concern about the general upkeep.
Our major gripe being golfers the courses are too over booked and unless you get a VERY early tee time in the day you will be playing on average 5hour round plus...which is very tedious.
We had a bite to eat in the Claret Jug... but again for a quick sandwich we waited over 30minutes and we noticed other guests also moaning about the time they had to wait before food was served.
But on the positive the facilities are good we had fab weather and will hope to stay longer next year.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank northerngolfers

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We have a week here in late November... to escape before the Xmas onslaught. It's great because the Xmas tree is not up until December - rare!
In the lodge is a Jacuzzi, sauna, dvd player and every type of luxury you could want. Oh and a golf buggy, called Barry! It is true luxury and you can use the hotel facilities too. Ours sleeps 6 and friends queue up to come with us.

Room Tip: Lodges, not rooms!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shelley14
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We booked a three night stay in a luxury lodge for £300. This worked out cheaper than us booking to stay in the main hotel. The Lodge was a 3 bed lodge for 6 people, had three bathrooms, jacuzzi bath, sauna and was set out on 3 floors.

The lodge was fantastic, fully equipped with everything you would need. If you want a golf buggy for use during your stay, you have to pay £75, which is a little steep, considering we couldn't even use it on the golf course due to wet ground!

The only down side for us was that you had to heat the lodge with electric heaters, which we had to leave on all the time to keep it aired, and when we checked out our bill came to £46! so just beware of this before booking.

I would recommend these over the hotel if you can afford it. You still get the use of all the hotel facilities, and get a voucher for 2 for 1 in the restaurant.

We drove to Corbridge (10 mins away) and ate in a little Italian Restaurant there, which I would recommend (Il piccolo - I think).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SFeather
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I recently booked a 2 night break at a Slaley Hall Lodge for myself, my husband and our 6 month old daughter. The lodge itself was pretty basic in terms of the sofa, dining table etc although the bathrooms did look nice and are well kitted out. My main grumbles are as follows:
1. We had pre-booked a meal at the Dukes grill by telephone. We explained over the phone that we had a six month old daughter and asked if it would be ok if she came to the restaurant with us in the evening asleep in her pram. We were told that this would be fine. On arrival at Slaley Hall during our check in we were told that the restaurant does not accept children and we may feel more comfortable if we dined in Hadrians brasserie instead.
2. We paid £15 for a travel cot to be provided in the lodge. The travel cot provided was an absolute disgrace and was not suitable at all for a baby to sleep in. It had a large bit of plastic which stuck up in the middle of the cot and the mattress (if you could call it that) was paper thin. I was so unhappy with the cot provided that we packed up our belongings and returned home. Looking on the mother care website I see that the cot provided by Slaley is the cheapest travel cot available to buy. This is not what I would expect from a hotel like Slaley.
3. At the time of booking there was no mention that there would be an additional charge for electricity used in the cabin. We were not told about this until we checked in. Whilst we were happy to pay for this, I would expect this to be informed of this at the time of booking.
During the 4 hours we spent there we had afternoon tea which I also felt was poor and didn't compare to the afternoon tea we have had at Close House or Jesmond Dene House which are both excellent.
Overall we would not return to the lodges at Slaley Hall. Even without the cot issue, the lodge itself was not particularly impressive and the furnishings were in need of an update.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank LACW_12
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

we spent 3 nights with our family in one of the 3 bedroom lodges at the beginning of February. The whole ambience of the lodge exudes comfort and luxury. The lodge was spotlessly clean and very,very well equipped.
Because of the high ceiling in the main room it took a little time to heat up and as it was all electric heating we were a little concerned about our final bill. it was fine and worked out about £12 per day.
Being attached to the wonderful facilities of Slaley Hall hotel added to the enjoyment of our break.
Food was available from the hotel to take out and eating in the hotel was a pleasure.
All the staff provided high quality service and the only slightly dissapointing element of the stay was that we had to vacate the lodge at 10am.
We were still able to use the facilities of the hotel for the rest of the day but the early vacating time did cause a little bit of "hassle"

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank philgri
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We have been visiting Slaley Hall since 2000 and now own 2 weeks, one at Easter, the other in July. During this time, my 2 kids have gone from five and seven to the age they are now. It still speaks volumes that both of them still love the visits to Slaley when you might think that they had reached the age when it would not be so attractive to them.
One of the reasons it has been great for us is simple: the staff we have dealt with throughout this period have been fantastic. They help and assisted when the kids wanted to do things appropriate to their age and continue to do so when the kids want to do something appropriate to their age now such as paintballing and off road driving.
The golf has always been a huge attraction for us and the condition of both courses is generally exceptional. There is generally an owners event when the professional invites us to beat his score leading to a prize for the lucky winner (my son the winner 2 years ago).
My wife and daughter enjoy the occasional visit to The Spa where they have enjoyed treatments on a fairly regular basis.
We occasionally eat at The Hotel and have found it to be of great quality, always complimented by great staff.
The lodges are fantastic, always clean and well presented. We have occasionally extended our stay even if it has meant moving from one lodge to another. This is never a problem as it is always well planned by housekeeping and Lodge Reception and,in particular, Chris, Steven and Jen.
During our time, nothing has been a problem. Whenever we have asked for anything, it has been delivered! The staff at Lodge Ownership have a great sense of customer service and we now see them more as friends who will do whatever it takes to get things done.
I have and will continue to recommend this resort to anyone. Fantastic accomodation, fantastic location and most important, fantastic staff.
My wife and myself have a rule that, if the kids are happy, they must be doing something right. We treat this as our second home and are now looking forward to our next stay in July.
Andy L.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Andy L
Derby
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I have written previously about my time share and the package we bought at Slayley Hall which has basically all but gone, on completion of our purchase we had a verbal agreement that we would have an Xmas tree in the lodge each year (we go in Dec) and the kids love it, this year after 6 years they decided not to honour it anymore! they did however give us some great offers to restore our faith in them! (a one off ..maybe.. I am unsure but I thought the Xmas tree would be free every year, normally £70!) I did put it in writting to them what had been agreed at the time but because they did not confirm (in writting only varbally) they will not honour it! The lodges are so cheap now but I wonder what the sales pitch is i.e. with very few perks left and high maintenance fees, also using 1000 units of electric in one week (just to keep warm with the high usage heaters!). I still think Slayley Hall, the lodges, the venue and the area is fantastic and love my annual trip but feel I have something which has no resemblance to what I purchased.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank DerbyATom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hexham
Matfen Hall
#1 of 1 in Slaley
Falstone Barns
Falstone Barns
#4 of 21 in Hexham

Been to QLodges Slaley Hall? Share your experiences!