“Wouldn't hurry back!”

De Vere Slaley Hall Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Spas & Wellness in Hexham
More attraction details
Owner description: Not 100, not 500 but 1000 acres of Northumberland moorland and forest play home to this magnificent, elegant Edwardian mansion. That the interiors are almost as dramatic as the exterior says it all. This is very old world grandeur with a modern twist. Bask in the warmth of the reception you receive on arrival, dine at Hadrian's Brasserie, or at the Duke's Grill. Indulge with a vichy water spa treatment or just flop in the fantastic indoor pool. The great outdoors doesn’t get much greater. After a bracing country walk in the wilds, or round on our championship golf course, retire to the Claret Jug and the 19th Bar for a stiff brandy. Surely you deserve it ?
Sunderland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Wouldn't hurry back!”
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Spent today at Slaley Hall spa. Generally disappointed with pool side facilities, not enough beds,expensive food, grotty changing rooms with poor lighting and toilets, not enough lockers, dirty floors. Treatment (algae body wrap) one friend and I had was lovely, our other friend who was supposed to have the same was in a room with no shower and didn't have the same experience at all and was very disappointed. On complaining to the spa manager he sympathised but said they were busy and he'd look into it. We got this day from a discount voucher (Groupon). we would have been very angry if we'd paid full price. The receptionist said the whole spa is to be revamped later this year. My advice, don't go there until it's been done!

Visited April 2011
2 Thank retracenna

newcastle,
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Spa day - not a five star experience”
Reviewed 14 March 2011

I went for a spa day with some friends. I was expecting great things from Slaley but was disappointed. On arrival they could not give me a robe as the were too busy and had none left and later said that the tumble dryer was broken so they could not wash them fast enough. We could not get a locker because they were all full and had to wait for someone to finish with theirs. Then we went to the pool side but could not get a bed by the pool so had to sit on a window ledge for about an hour until some beds came free. The pool is nice and was lovely and warm in the morning although it was colder in the afternoon?? We had our lunch - I was cold during lunch cos I just had a towel wrapped round me and they had the fans on! During dinner someone did bring some robes over and said they were as dry as they could get them! Mine was damp!!! but better than nothing I suppose!!
Lunch choice for vegetarians was terrible. no I dont want to pay fifteen pound for a pizza. I eat pizza when i go out for tea with my kids and the spa day was suppose to be a grown up day!! so i had beans on toast of the kids menu which was £4 and some chips for £4. Hot chocolate was £3.50. Very expensive, having said that the chips were lovely.
I had a full body massage, the music in the room kept jumping and was really annoying so i asked if she minded turning it off - the beauty therapist told me it was broken and that she had complained to the manager but he did nothing about it.she said that it was on a system in each beauty room so could not be turned off so for an hour I listened to a jumping cd of "relaxing" music!!! after my hour massage and listening to the therapist problems of the long hours that she works and how doing massages hurts her back etc I was quiet exhausted!!!
The toilet I went in the changing rooms had no toilet roll and the bin was overflowing with hand towels. there was rubbish on the toilet floor and the door was filthy. the floor in the spa room was also filthy although i must say the room itself was lovely. My friend said the toilet she went in did not flush.
What more can i say apart from take your hard earned money to a different spa hotel. This one certainly not up to standard!!

3 Thank rosebud03