“Don't waste your time” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Vere Slaley Hall Spa

De Vere Slaley Hall Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Spas & Wellness in Hexham
More attraction details
Owner description: Not 100, not 500 but 1000 acres of Northumberland moorland and forest play home to this magnificent, elegant Edwardian mansion. That the interiors are almost as dramatic as the exterior says it all. This is very old world grandeur with a modern twist. Bask in the warmth of the reception you receive on arrival, dine at Hadrian's Brasserie, or at the Duke's Grill. Indulge with a vichy water spa treatment or just flop in the fantastic indoor pool. The great outdoors doesn’t get much greater. After a bracing country walk in the wilds, or round on our championship golf course, retire to the Claret Jug and the 19th Bar for a stiff brandy. Surely you deserve it ?
Morpeth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

We went to slaley hall for a girls day out, had been looking forward to this for weeks, completely disappointed, changing rooms were disgusting and cramped, the jacuzzi wasn't working, there were 8 beds and at least 25 people there on a SPA DAY, there were dirty trays of drinks lying by the pool the full day we were there. We ended up sitting on the window ledge most of the day as we couldn't get a bed. When we did venture out away from the supposed spa to the hotel, we waited 45 minutes for overally priced food only for it to come completely overcooked. This SPA I would compare to my local leisure centre. When we did complain to the manager the other staff were looking on laughing, would never recommend this to anyone looking for a relaxing day.

Visited May 2011
2 Thank Morpeth19

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Overall disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

Having booked up a spa weekend with a treatment for both the wife and me included in the price our visit started off badly when the slightly obnoxious guy at the desk tried to bill us again on our arrival as the booking had not been entered into the system correctly. (this also happened at the resteraunt) We then continued to watch him make hard work of both telephone calls and guests alike with a surprisingly poor service and attitude while we waited for our treatment.
The treatment was fine and the girls looked after us as expected. We then went into the spa for a swim and sauna etc and was disappointed by the overall decor and upkeep of the facilities. Suspended ceilings were rusty on places as where the railings around the pool. One area of the pool was shut off for an undisclosed reason and after we used the jacuzzi this was also shut off due to me pointing out that the cover off the drain in the centre was missing. Only discovered after painfully standing on the screws which were left sticking out.
Overall this is a tired facility that does not measure up to the other de-vere hotels and spas we have visited. Hence my recommendation would be to visit those before this one

2 Thank Craig N
Sunderland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Wouldn't hurry back!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

Spent today at Slaley Hall spa. Generally disappointed with pool side facilities, not enough beds,expensive food, grotty changing rooms with poor lighting and toilets, not enough lockers, dirty floors. Treatment (algae body wrap) one friend and I had was lovely, our other friend who was supposed to have the same was in a room with no shower and didn't have the same experience at all and was very disappointed. On complaining to the spa manager he sympathised but said they were busy and he'd look into it. We got this day from a discount voucher (Groupon). we would have been very angry if we'd paid full price. The receptionist said the whole spa is to be revamped later this year. My advice, don't go there until it's been done!

Visited April 2011
2 Thank retracenna
newcastle,
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Spa day - not a five star experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

I went for a spa day with some friends. I was expecting great things from Slaley but was disappointed. On arrival they could not give me a robe as the were too busy and had none left and later said that the tumble dryer was broken so they could not wash them fast enough. We could not get a locker because they were all full and had to wait for someone to finish with theirs. Then we went to the pool side but could not get a bed by the pool so had to sit on a window ledge for about an hour until some beds came free. The pool is nice and was lovely and warm in the morning although it was colder in the afternoon?? We had our lunch - I was cold during lunch cos I just had a towel wrapped round me and they had the fans on! During dinner someone did bring some robes over and said they were as dry as they could get them! Mine was damp!!! but better than nothing I suppose!!
Lunch choice for vegetarians was terrible. no I dont want to pay fifteen pound for a pizza. I eat pizza when i go out for tea with my kids and the spa day was suppose to be a grown up day!! so i had beans on toast of the kids menu which was £4 and some chips for £4. Hot chocolate was £3.50. Very expensive, having said that the chips were lovely.
I had a full body massage, the music in the room kept jumping and was really annoying so i asked if she minded turning it off - the beauty therapist told me it was broken and that she had complained to the manager but he did nothing about it.she said that it was on a system in each beauty room so could not be turned off so for an hour I listened to a jumping cd of "relaxing" music!!! after my hour massage and listening to the therapist problems of the long hours that she works and how doing massages hurts her back etc I was quiet exhausted!!!
The toilet I went in the changing rooms had no toilet roll and the bin was overflowing with hand towels. there was rubbish on the toilet floor and the door was filthy. the floor in the spa room was also filthy although i must say the room itself was lovely. My friend said the toilet she went in did not flush.
What more can i say apart from take your hard earned money to a different spa hotel. This one certainly not up to standard!!

3 Thank rosebud03