“So relaxing”

De Vere Slaley Hall Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Spas & Wellness in Hexham
More attraction details
Owner description: Not 100, not 500 but 1000 acres of Northumberland moorland and forest play home to this magnificent, elegant Edwardian mansion. That the interiors are almost as dramatic as the exterior says it all. This is very old world grandeur with a modern twist. Bask in the warmth of the reception you receive on arrival, dine at Hadrian's Brasserie, or at the Duke's Grill. Indulge with a vichy water spa treatment or just flop in the fantastic indoor pool. The great outdoors doesn’t get much greater. After a bracing country walk in the wilds, or round on our championship golf course, retire to the Claret Jug and the 19th Bar for a stiff brandy. Surely you deserve it ?
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Went here for our 6 yr anniversary we arrived early and got straight into our room, the champex room.. It was lovely the bed was so comfy .. Heated floors... Sky In the bedroom and Starbucks drinks.. We then used the spa and had our full body massage that was so relaxing we then enjoyed a glass of champagne in the seating area before using the jacuzzi and pool.. The evening meal was lovely it was in hadrians room near the bar the only bad thing was the drinks took to long to come but we did get these on the house! We had breakfast and that was also lovely had a lot of selection and it was help yourself

All reviews
"spa break"
"poolside cafe"
"robes and slippers"
in 6 reviews
"neck and shoulder massage"
"high standard"
"mam"
"fridge"
"rounds"

Reviewed 19 April 2014

My husband had booked me a one night bed, breakfast and evening meal break with spa use and treatment included. This was a to give me some me time and relaxation away from it all! I arrived before check in time so went straight in to use the spa facilities. The pool was crowded and I couldn't get a bed so had to sit in a chair and wait for a bed to become available. There were a lot of kids in the pool so it wasn't the most relaxing of environments. I arrived to book in for my treatment at 3.15pm. I had opted for a facial as the last time I had a back massage here it nearly killed me! I was taken through at 3.30pm and given a choice of products that could be used during the facial. At 3.35 my treatment began. I have never had such an unrelaxing facial! It was as though she couldn't get through it quick enough. It was so slap dash and at 3.54pm it was all over. The whole time I was waiting for it to improve and it didn't! I was escorted straight out, nobody asked me how it was and I was told to sit in the quiet room. I wasn't offered a glass of water. So back to the pool and again no beds. I decided to cut my losses, check in and watch a bit if TV and maybe have a nap before dinner at 8.15pm. Room was ok I would have expected better from a 4 star hotel however. So TV on and only bbc 1 works! No signal for any other channel! So TV off, read book and fall asleep. Off to dinner in the Claret. Jug restaurant. They are not expecting me so hurriedly set a table. The said table is basically at the end of several tables joined together full of middled aged men who had been golfing. Considering I was a woman on my own I think maybe a table in such close proximity to a huge table full of men was not the best location for me. So with my book for company I perused the menu. Jumbo buffalo wings, Northumberland fish cake ordered and large glass of house white. Well the food was disgraceful. The wings must have been from a sparrow all 4 of the pathetic little things. The fish cake was just mashed potato with a bit of flaked fish in it and deep fried, no seasoning whatsoever. It also came with two halved roast potatoes and some salad rather than the potato salad and rocket it was advertised with. The chocolate brownie for dessert was nice enough. I was back in my room for 9.15pm so 3 courses in an hour not bad! Slept terribly, lumpy duvet and pillows. Breakfast was good. Large selection and tasty enough. I decided against another trip to the spa and checked out. I wasn't asked how my stay was so decided to put it in writing. I was thoroughly underwhelmed by Slaley hall. It promises so much, looks fabulous from the outside but a total let down once inside. My poor husband thought this was a much deserved treat and is ver disappointed it didn't live up to expectations. There are definitely much, much better options out there and I will not be returning. I felt as though I was treated as a second class citizen when in actual fact I should have been well looked after considering I was alone. Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish!!!!

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Been to slaley as a day guest in the spa on several occasions, hoping each time that the previous spa day was just a 'one off' disappointment, but as the same issues have continued we won't be back - not enough space in the changing area or enough lockers, not enough seating around the pool area, the pool is FREEZING and on one occasion the jacuzzi wasn't on/open. On our last visit, there were no fruit juices, no soda and afternoon tea was the worst I've ever had, lacking in both quantity and quality, plus table was booked for 2pm and it eventually came after 3pm. Poor standards all round, very disappointing and staff didn't seem to want to know or compensate in any way to value our custom. Very disappointing.

1  Thank MichaelLauraMc
Reviewed 7 April 2014

very disappointing,was expecting better.food was awfull,room was noisey,but treatments in spa were really good..

1  Thank jean a