“Such a Fabulous Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Vindolanda

Vindolanda
Ranked #2 of 31 things to do in Hexham
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit Roman Vindolanda today and you will find one of the North East’s most famous and not to be missed tourist attractions lying in the beautiful landscape of Hadrian's Wall Country. Formerly a key military post on the northern frontier of Britain, Vindolanda is the home of Britain's 'Top Treasure' - the Vindolanda Writing Tablets - and is one Europe's most important Roman archeological sites, with live excavations taking place every year. The recently fully refurbished on site museum provides a breathtaking exploration of the Trust's ongoing discoveries and accounts of Roman life. There are no other places on earth where it is possible to experience Roman Britain, Hadrian's Wall and history coming to life before your very eyes all in one space! Come and explore it for yourself and find out why Vindolanda is treasured worldwide.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Such a Fabulous Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We almost did not get to Vindolanda and had enjoyed the other museums - but seeing the shoes and the Roman tablets, was a chance to walk in the past. It brought the Roman history of the area alive. I will be excited to see just what more interpretation might occur over the next few years. If you are fascinated by Roman history, do not miss this Museum.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Jo B

N.Yorks
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Allow plenty of time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Felt a bit let down that our ticket didn't cover us for visit later to the Roman Army Museum as we were told it would, otherwise our visit was excellent and the site is very well signboarded so you know exactly where you are and what the area was used for etc. Fascinating insight into Roman Britain - the museum on the site is a must.

2 Thank N.Yorks
UK
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Incredible to see actual Roman writing on tablets”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

This site offers free parking, and the visitor centre is really very good with lots of artefacts from digs on the site, and they are still excavating. But, in recent years they dug below the stone surface and found preserved tables with Roman writing on them, thin thin thin pieces of parchment which have been delcated a national treasure and the only ones in Europe. The small pieces of writing tell the visitor who lived at Vindalanda there is also one signed by a lady. There is a great audio visual you can sit and watch about the finding of the tablets. I was blown away. There are also altars, statues, tools etc. A must for those interested in what I can only describe as England's 'Pompei'.

1 Thank Qixu
Adelaide, Australia
“Archaeologists Heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have been to Vindolanda twice now. I live in Australia, so not so easy to get to, but if I'm up that way I make an effort to go!
If you live in the area, or are likely to go more than once then sign up to be a "Friend of Vindolanda". It is very cheap and gives you entry to both the Vindolanda site and the Roman Army Museum a bit further up the road (which is breath taking!)

I was able to talk in detail to the Archaeologists in charge at the site when I was there in May 2013 (I'm an Archaeology student). As I am also looking at writing a novel with Vindolanda as one of the main locations in the book I found it very helpful to talk to him.

The only down side to my visit was that I ran out of money, space and weight allowance in my suitcase to buy all the books there!!

If you go, get the audio headsets, as it will give you much more information. Recommend some more information stations and interactive things outside at the main site for younger explorers...

Visited May 2013
England
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Don't hesitate - VISIT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is a fantastic site! we were lucky enough to arrive just as a volunteer guide was about to start a tour of the site.
The day we arrived was extremely cold and the Northumbrian wind was helping us to imagine how nice the bath house must have been in the depth of winter!
The guide was really informative and helped to bring parts of the site alive that otherwise we may have missed.
After the tour we headed down to the museum and coffee shop - lovely for a warm pot of tea!
We purchased the joint tickets with the Roman army museum and this is certainly good value for money.
It is rare to see a site of interest that hasn't succumbed to the National Trust or English Heritage and it was a breath of fresh air to see somewhere so vibrant in action.
If I lived any closer I would love to get involved in the volunteering that happens annually at Vindolanda.
Don't hesitate - just visit.

3 Thank suncatchershell