“Lovely”

Ranked #11 of 62 Hexham B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Lovely”
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

We found the place clean, friendly and it has a lovely countryside, fantastic breakfast. The pub down the road is lovely as well and does fantastic pub meals. Lovely place to stay if you are looking for a peaceful weekend break!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
AUSTIN
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Friendly, comfortable, and there were laundry facilities. We could have not asked for more, except another night or two. But Rye Hill was booked so had to drive away sadly after a wonderful breakfast. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JART1982
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the stone built barn conversion. The yard outside was too clean to indicate it was a working farm. What really shocked me however is that the ensuite bathroom was the cleanest I had ever seen! Paired with a comfortable bed, crisp white sheets AND we were allowed to keep our sheepdog with us in the room.
The breakfast also excelled in that the eggs, bacon, sauasage and tomatoes all cried of being local quality farm produce, not mass produced supermarket stuff.
Highly recommended. Couldn't fault them on anything. Our local friends tell us the lady has made a big success of this place and is highly respected in the area for it.
One of the kids there told me that the cat was called Wench but reading below they might have meant Witch!

• Stayed September 2013
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I spent one night at the B&B in late August 2013 and found it to be a friendly, well-run establishment. Clean room, great shower and a delicious breakfast - especially the freshly made bread and jam! The B&B is set in a quiet location, and is on a working farm, so look out for animals!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Have just spent three nights in the company of my son with Elizabeth at the rural idyll of Rye Hill Farm. Despite either I or Venere making a mess of the booking, classing us as 2 adults.( my son is 12 ) , Elizabeth quickly found us alternative accommodation in the self-catering accommodation, a lovely spacious twin-bedded room with wet room. Views from the emergency exit at the rear were breathtaking across open countryside.Also good for star,satellite and shooting star spotting! We also had access to the kitchen/lounge area with board games to keep us entertained.

My son particularly enjoyed stroking the farm cat, Witch, and Pippa, the very waggy-tailed Jack Russell. We were also lucky to be sharing the accommodation with a couple who had two rescue greyhounds ; this also had my son in raptures.

We shot many hoops in the games barn, enjoyed a lovely breakfast which had a good choice of cereals, yoghurt, stewed rhubarb,homemade banana bread, fruit juice etc. Elizabeth was very accommodating to variations in the cooked breakfast too, which does not ordinarily include baked beans :).

We will definitely re-visit should we visit that part of Northumberland in the future.

Many thanks, Elizabeth.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stumbled across this gem of a farm B&B when searching for a quiet bolthole during a week's work in Hexham. Elizabeth, the owner, could not have been more accommodating or sensitive to my needs, and the lovely environment proved to be a haven of peace in every respect. Looking forward to staying there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Red Lodge, Montana
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I stayed for 1 night as I drove through Northumberland on holiday and chose this B&B because of all of the 5 star reviews on tripadvisor, as well as they accepted pets. It was a beautiful converted barn. The room was a good size. There was a very large bed, leaving little room to walk around the sides or a place for the pup to sleep on his bedding on the floor. I do understand the desire to offer a large bed, especially for couples, and it was quite comfortable. My only concern was that the proprietor was not very friendly upon check-in or at breakfast. This was such a surprise, as the majority of the reviews said they found her to be quite friendly and helpful. I asked about the farm and expressed my interest in sheep, but was not invited to have a walk around the farm or see the livestock. She seemed short and to the point when showing me my room. The next morning at breakfast, she took orders for the 3 tables, but after delivering the food, didn't come back to ask if it was to our liking or to chat with the guests. The breakfast was good and I had a lovely time talking with the others, from Australia and the Netherlands, but not a word from the hostess. I found this in complete contrast to other B&Bs in the UK and Ireland where the proprietors have spent time to talk with guests. I looked back at my own behaviour to see if it was something I may have done. I arrived at 8 pm, about 2 hours later than I had planned. I was traveling in bad weather, had become lost, and didn't have reception on my mobile to call to say I would be late. Possibly my being late was an inconvenience, though 8 pm on a summer evening didn't seem excessively late. My dog was quiet, I cleaned his wet paws prior to entering the building, didn't allow him on the furniture, and picked up after him outdoors, so I don't believe it was the dog. It was a beautiful location and had I felt more welcome, I would have given the review more stars.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank FilbertSheep
hillrye, Owner at Rye Hill Farm, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
I am so sorry that you were disappointed in your stay with me, as your review is some time after your stay I am unable to identify you. Perhaps I was very busy and unable to give you as much attention as I usually give to my guests, running a one man band this is sometimes a bit of a problem as I cant be in more than one place at a time! Rest assured, I always genuinely welcome guests here and endeavour to give every one as much time as is possible. Tours of the farm are not practicable at this time of year as the stock is out at grass, but any queries are always addressed, if asked and I would have enjoyed to have had some discussions with you
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hexham
Langley Castle Hotel
#1 of 7 in Haydon Bridge
Fairshaw Rigg
Fairshaw Rigg
#1 of 1 in Low Gate

Been to Rye Hill Farm? Share your experiences!