“Historic and Peaceful”
Review of Hexham Abbey

Hexham Abbey
Ranked #4 of 36 things to do in Hexham
More attraction details
Owner description: This former medieval abbey was built late in the 7th century.
Reviewed 9 August 2014

In the very heart of Hexham, used daily as a church, it has a real feel of history, some interesting items inside

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Magnificent abbey -well worth taking the time to go inside . There was a great atmosphere when we visited with loud orchestral music which initially I thought must be on a tape until high up I saw the organist playing live.

1  Thank Simon H
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Visited hexham a few times mainly for race meetings but this time was to show my wife round the abbey.It was market day so it was quite busy. THe abbey is a wonderful building and full of history but it was a bit overcast and rainy on this day so we had to cut short our visit.My wife is more smitten by durham cathedral

Reviewed 20 July 2014

On a visit to Northumberland recently we had about an hour to spend and went into Hexham Cathedral. It was a lovely cathedral, not as large as some but architecturally still gorgeous. It felt a little more personal and what was so nice. We very much appreciated that you didn't have to pay a specific fee but three was a suggested donation, which we were happy to contribute to. I would have liked more time to do it justice but this means I will be back. Climbing the stairs inside was lovely you get a real overview of the cathedral from up there. Didn't have time to do the crypt but there is next time.

Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Hexham itself is well worth a visit. Local public parking next to the Tourist Information Centre (free public toilets and Waitrose supermarket) is plentiful and cheap. Walk up the steep hill (it's not far) and the centre of Hexham has a good range of shops and some lovely restaurants - but the Abbey is wonderful, it is so peaceful inside with a great deal of historical detail including some beautiful stained glass windows, history, architecture, Roman carved stones etc, so please don't miss it! It also has an a well stocked gift shop with some beautiful high quality gifts including local foods produce (Jams, chutneys, biscuits, fudge etc) I am always keen to return to Hexham whenever I get the opportunity!