“Superb Experience (by Robert Thompson)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Falconry Days

Falconry Days
Ranked #1 of 31 things to do in Hexham
More attraction details
Owner description: Bird Of Prey Centre with over 75 birds of prey from around the world located in the middle of Northumberlands National Park.Visitor centre open every day from 11am, picnic area, hot/cold drinks and light snacks.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Superb Experience (by Robert Thompson)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have been to falconry days for a few experiences which include hunting days, a 3 day training course on how to be a falconer and a falconry experience day. All of which were amazing experiences, The birds they have are beautiful and very well behaved and are treated very nicely. The guides for these days were very friendly and extremely informative. There website is also extremely useful and informative.

On the falconry experience day we got to handle the birds and fly them in a field which was spectacular, the birds or prey which were used performed really well, considering we were complete strangers to them. We also learned about various birds of prey and got to see the centers very impressive range of birds.

On the falconry training course which too place over 3 days I learned about how to take care of the birds, this included various skills such as feeding, housing and training the birds. We were taken out on a walk through a forest to see how the birds interacted with the environment and learned about the various equipment used. We were also taken out on a hunting day which was brilliant.

The third experience I did with falconry days was a hunting day (please not this wasn't part of the training course and was a separate experience I did with falconry days) During this day we took out hawks and ferrets to the country side and went hunting for rabbits. The hawks and ferrets made a great team and we caught many rabbits with expert guidance from the staff at the center. The Rabbits were also killer quickly and humanly by the staff.

Overall I would say these were amazing experiences and I would definitely go again. You also get a better experience than you would at The Keilder birds of prey center. The only reason I have not given this a 5 star rating is that is it quite expensive although I know that buying and keeping the birds in tip top condition can be an expensive process. Would I recommend Falconry days to someone else......Definitely :D

Visited December 2012

Bloomington, Illinois, United States
“Excellent day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

This is a part of our visit to Northumberland that we'd been looking forward to for many months, and it did not disappoint!!! Even the chill and wet day couldn't dampen our the experience. From beginning to end, our afternoon with the birds was perfect. Delboy was very knowledgable and clearly experienced, and provided many stories and pieces of background information about the birds which added to our overall experience. But the hands-on work with the birds was much more than we could have hoped for. We had the opportunity to hold and fly about 6 different birds, each with their own personalities and quirks (including a Harris Hawk who apparently would like to go after the ferrets they use to aid in hunting!) We were very glad to have brought some lunch with us; the afternoon was long and we built up a bit of an appetite working outside, though they kindly provided tea for us. We were also glad to have brought cameras with us, to capture some of the amazing moments with the birds. We would definitely visit the center again -- for a hunting day, perhaps.

Hexham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Enjoyable experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Jon and I thoroughly enjoyed our day at the centre. The views from the farm were fantastic and being so close to the birds a very good experience. We were well looked after and everyone was very knowledgeable, the homemade soup was also very welcome on a very cold day.

northumberland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“HUNTING WITH HAWKS DAY.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I received a gift for Christmas off my wife, and I can honestly state that it has been one of the best Presents I have ever received.
The gift was a gift voucher for a days hunting with Hawks, from Falconry Days. I had seen a few of their displays with their hawks and falcons before, at various summer fayres. ( Simonside, Whalton and others ). So I knew that if the entertainment at this day out was as good as their displays, then I would certainly be in for a treat.
The day came and it was a cold Febuary morning, and myself and another chap , who had been before ( this was his second time ), got taken out in a landrover, to a couple of locations.
We had company too. Two Harris hawks, a couple of ferrets and a pointer dog. What came next was an experience I will never forget, and the experience I was given and seen, was truly amazing.
We each had the privelidge of walking with the hawks from morning till late afternoon. Our guide, showed us what would be expected of ourselves and how to handle the birds.
We attended several rabbit warrens, where upon our guide, let the ferrets loose down the holes, and we waited with baited breath, for rabbits to appear from the holes. These hawks must have ESP. Because even before we could see the rabbits, then they were out of the jesses in our gloves, and they were flying in on their prey. ( the rabbits ). We both had many successes that day, and bagging several rabbits. Even the ones that got away, were a thrill to watch, because when you are watching and see a bird with so much ariel agility and grace, giving chase to it's prey and not getting it, well the saying " the thrill is in the chase comes to mind".
Heart pounding excitment from dawn till dusk. If u get the chance, grab it with open arms.

Visited February 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Birthday Gift”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

This was booked for a birthday present which I was to attend on my own but decided to book my wife in with me... I needed someone to carry my camera bag and take photos!!!

We both had a brilliant day on the Owl Experience, very informative and attentive to every-ones needs. Thoroughly enjoyable experience, lovely location, great hosts and some beautiful owls to complete the day.

Many Thanks