“Weak coffee and weak staff”

The Little Angel Cafe
Ranked #78 of 109 Restaurants in Hexham
Hexham, United Kingdom
“Weak coffee and weak staff”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Going on a saturday afternoon during the book festival we were told there was a delay on our drinks immediately as it was 'unusually busy'. The cafe was about 2/3 full, but you would expect a theatre cafe to be well equipped and ready to handle customers around a show. The person who served us was unnecessarily rude and blunt with us... A smile wouldn't kill. We ordered a flat white, a filter coffee, a green tea and a 'mug of tea'. My flat white wasn't a flat white... It would even have been a poor attempt at a latte. Weak, milky coffee with a head or poorly textured foam. The milk also had a scalded taste like it had been over heated. Not the layers of micro-foam and strong coffee that a flat white should be. Also the mug was too big. The filter coffee 'tasted like it had been out all week', the tea looked as if it had been brewed for hours and left a scum mark on the mug. The green tea was 'okay' but had been brewed too long so that it had lost its delicate taste that it should have.
Overall it was a poor experience and due to the slow service we were rushed to finish our drinks before the show. Despite entering the cafe an hour before it was to start. Although our drinks didn't come to much (the one nice feature was mugs of tea and coffee only being £1), a glance at the menu showed it to be expensive too. A hot chocolate costs £5!
Overall it can be summed up in three points.
-Unprepared to be a theatre cafe (worse than it used to be)
-Staff that could do with smiling
-Poor quality drinks. Definitely stay clear of the coffee!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Hamish A

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant and excellent value for money”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

After noticing the offer of £5 for sandwich and coffee we decided to give it a go. Steve and I both chose the bruschetta with pesto and it was absolutely delicious and well worth every penny. The staff were pleasant and the service was very prompt.

• Visited March 2014
hexham
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I love the Angel Hotel in Corbridge so was excited to see that the same owner had opened The Little Angel cafe in Hexham. I went for lunch with a friend & it took me 20 mins to be served. One waitress Kerry was chatting to a friend who was sat in the cafe, texting, I caught her eye & she swiftly looked away. Another waitress completely ignored me. In the end I had to get out of my seat and ask to be served. The food was very average, although I only had a sandwich.
The staff definitely need more training, as compared to the Corbridge staff, who are consistently excellent, you'd think this place had different owners & standards.
It's a shame as it's a beautiful building in a beautiful part of Hexham. The Corbridge bar menu is needed here to improve the cafe, and much more friendly attentive staff needed.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank hp-fbi
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Pleasant”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Popped in here for a sandwich and coffee. Food ok, oil delicious! Staff polite but could work on their smiles. 6/10 from me...

Visited January 2014
Northumberland
“Good but could do better”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have given my visit an average score simply because there is not a" good" rating and the visit did not merit a "very good". The decor is nice but it is unclear when you enter whether you should go to the counter to order or wait to be served. There is a lot of writing on the walls and eventually you see that you can do either (or so it says). Strangely there are clip boards on the tables with a drinks menu attached but the food menu is written on one wall which is not visible from all of the tables. Consequently you have to get up to see what food is on offer - surely another sheet with the food attached to the clip board would solve the problem. After waiting a little while and no-one coming to take our order I went to the counter to order to be told that if I had a seat they would come to take our order. Whilst the staff were not unpleasant there were no smiles or warm welcome which can make such a difference to a visit. My mother ordered a panini but we were told that the baguettes had not been delivered, she plumped for a parma ham, chicken and new potato salad at £7.75 I had the italian club sandwich which I think was £4.95. My mother enjoyed her salad and I enjoyed my sandwich although I was not sure where the "Italian" came into it as it appeared to be simply thin ham, chicken, tomato and mayo, served with a bunch of rocket. One of my pet hates is businesses using reformed chicken breast and unfortunately that is the case here. Whilst it was not unpleasant surely for the price they could use a proper chicken breast. As I say, good but could do better.

• Visited January 2014