“Yet to have a positive experience”

The Little Angel Cafe
Ranked #77 of 110 Restaurants in Hexham
Reviewed 14 May 2014

On our first visit to the cafe we sat in a lovely booth in the corner.

It was table service with a couple of waiting staff visiting the tables to take orders and serve the drinks and food. Unfortunately we waited and waited and watched staff serve customers that arrived much later than us. We weren't even acknowledged. We left and ate elsewhere. When we contacted the cafe on twitter we were ignored.

I was going to visit in April with a colleague for lunch as we'd seen a lunch offer which included glass of wine, we found out however that this offer was only available to women!

It's possible for two men or two women to get married in the same building, but a man and a woman can't have the same lunch deal! It's 2014 for goodness sake.

I won't be back.

1  Thank longychops

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Came here for lunch on Saturday 3rd May after popping into the Yurt to see Tony Singh. Staff very friendly, listed all the Wylam beers when asked and service was prompt. Very nice pizza, good glass of red wine...very happy indeed!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Going on a saturday afternoon during the book festival we were told there was a delay on our drinks immediately as it was 'unusually busy'. The cafe was about 2/3 full, but you would expect a theatre cafe to be well equipped and ready to handle customers around a show. The person who served us was unnecessarily rude and blunt with us... A smile wouldn't kill. We ordered a flat white, a filter coffee, a green tea and a 'mug of tea'. My flat white wasn't a flat white... It would even have been a poor attempt at a latte. Weak, milky coffee with a head or poorly textured foam. The milk also had a scalded taste like it had been over heated. Not the layers of micro-foam and strong coffee that a flat white should be. Also the mug was too big. The filter coffee 'tasted like it had been out all week', the tea looked as if it had been brewed for hours and left a scum mark on the mug. The green tea was 'okay' but had been brewed too long so that it had lost its delicate taste that it should have.
Overall it was a poor experience and due to the slow service we were rushed to finish our drinks before the show. Despite entering the cafe an hour before it was to start. Although our drinks didn't come to much (the one nice feature was mugs of tea and coffee only being £1), a glance at the menu showed it to be expensive too. A hot chocolate costs £5!
Overall it can be summed up in three points.
-Unprepared to be a theatre cafe (worse than it used to be)
-Staff that could do with smiling
-Poor quality drinks. Definitely stay clear of the coffee!

1  Thank Hamish A
Reviewed 2 April 2014

After noticing the offer of £5 for sandwich and coffee we decided to give it a go. Steve and I both chose the bruschetta with pesto and it was absolutely delicious and well worth every penny. The staff were pleasant and the service was very prompt.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I love the Angel Hotel in Corbridge so was excited to see that the same owner had opened The Little Angel cafe in Hexham. I went for lunch with a friend & it took me 20 mins to be served. One waitress Kerry was chatting to a friend who was sat in the cafe, texting, I caught her eye & she swiftly looked away. Another waitress completely ignored me. In the end I had to get out of my seat and ask to be served. The food was very average, although I only had a sandwich.
The staff definitely need more training, as compared to the Corbridge staff, who are consistently excellent, you'd think this place had different owners & standards.
It's a shame as it's a beautiful building in a beautiful part of Hexham. The Corbridge bar menu is needed here to improve the cafe, and much more friendly attentive staff needed.

2  Thank hp-fbi