“Different - great for Hexham”
Review of Sydney's Bistro - CLOSED

Sydney's Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Visited for midweek lunch with a friend, I arrived early so enjoyed a good coffee with newspaper in comfy chair downstairs. Moved upstairs for lunch when my friend arrived, although there is a choice of cold food available on the ground floor. Enjoyed a shared vegetable platter and half a cheese platter - more than ample for lunch. The staff were attentive but not intrusive. If you really do want quantity not quality you won't appreciate Sydney's and I would suggest a pub or fish and chip shop.

2  Thank ASH696

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I tried Sydney's for the first time last weekend and was not disappointed. The lovely cocktails and pitta with dips kept us company while we made our choices from the menu; we ordered a couple of dishes each and as a vegetarian it was nice to see original options rather than the usual after thought that is so common in rural restaurants.
On our table choices ranged from seafood (mussels and prawns) to beef in pistachio pesto and lovely cheese dishes (halloumi stack and camembert baked in Newcastle Brown Ale), everyone was happy with the food and the cookie dough pie dessert was to die for!
The staff were excellent, very attentive and personable, they made a point of explaining the tapas element and advised us to get several dishes and to share; I can imagine that this will need highlighting every time as people who don't get a plate piled high may be disappointed.
I sincerely hope this place is successful and the people of Hexham can get used to the fact that quantity is not as desirable as quality!
I'm looking forward to my next visit and seeing the seasonal menu changes.

1  Thank no1scran
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

There's nowhere else in Hexham quite like Sydney's: they serve imaginative, locally sourced foods in Petits Plats or Sharing Platters, ideal whether you want a snack or a hearty meal. Outstanding vegetarian selection (try the grilled halloumi stack with spinach and spicy sauce), cheeses and salads. But carnivores are not ignored with interesting fish and less usual meats (e.g. braised rabbit). A small disappointment is the tiny selection of puds - but you can always go for the affogato!
Young, pleasant and helpful staff make sure your visit is always a pleasure.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Visited Sydneys last weekend as with living in Hexham I like to support local businesses but just not quite sure what the place is meant to be. It's called a bistro but I feel it needs some really good and more substantial main courses. This is, of course,is my opinion only.
The staff were very friendly and welcoming and the upstairs was very clean and tidy but a little sparse and bare. Sadly there were only 2 other persons in the upstairs part so not alot of atmosphere.
The dips were good, and the "catch of the day" was tasty and well cooked.
The pork dish with lettuce was ok but the lamb dish only had 3 tiny pieces of lamb in it and about 11 whole cloves of garlic. £6 for three pieces of lamb was not good value which was a shame as the overall taste was good. The house wine was sensibly valued and perfectly drinkable.
I just hope it does well in the coming months but the jury is still out on this place

3  Thank Richard D
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Dropped in for a late lunch today and had some nibbles and petit plats. Staff great and food was lovely, albeit a fairly small menu. Nicely done out and a good place to sit and chill. Good coffee too.

1  Thank iFeedback