“Oh dear”

Diwan E Am Tandoori Restaurant
Price range: US$51 - US$51
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Hexham, United Kingdom
“Oh dear”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Pleasant staff but below par food
good enough restaurant (decorwise) but not worth revisiting when Hexham has so many alternatives

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Michael M

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excelent food - varied menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Excellent food and service with a very good choice of dishes. Some less 'run of the mill' curries are on offer

Visited January 2012
1 Thank RobertMary
Northumberland, UK
“vastly improved since previous visits”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I'd been to this restaurant a couple of times a few years ago and, although I couldn't fault the delicious food, the service a was a little 'full on'. I.e a team of waiters waiting on one table and remaining closeby in case someone needed something. It felt impossible to have a private conversation! I had also found this when ordering takeaways and waiting for them in the foyer.

This has been completely recified and the service on Tuesday night was brilliant; friendly without being at all overbearing. The food was amazing and, despite taking a gamble and ordering dishes we haven't tried before, my partner and I throughly enjoyed it. The house wine was perfect, too. Enjoy!

• Visited January 2012
North Yorkshire
“Nice friendly and warm with good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

The staff were excellent and the young owner has taken over from his father so he obviously really cares about the business and it shows in great food and good personal service with a smile.

Visited December 2011
London, United Kingdom
“The best Indian restaurant in Hexham!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

Back for the Christmas hols and I thought I'd treat my folks to an Indian meal. However, the last Indian meal we had in Hexham was very average so after looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor, I took them to the Diwan E Am. And I'm so glad we did! Everything about that evening, from the reception you get from the staff when you walk in (mum & dad hadn't been here for years and probably more for me as I live in London now) to the meal itself, was great.

We went straight to our table, ordered drinks and poppodoms. When it came to deciding what curries to choose, you get the impression that there's too much to choose from! The waiter did say that gives you more of a reason to come back and try something else - I suppose he's right because mum & dad have said they'll probably make Diwan E Am their regular Indian restaurant now!

From the starters (onion bhajis and tandoori mixed kebab) to the main courses (chicken korma, lamb dupiaza and koli milagu mossala), everything was delicious. I'd chosen the koli milagu mossala that night as I've never come across this dish in all the time I've eaten at a curry house and I've eaten plenty of curries in my time! One little detail I did notice (and it's sometime the little ones that do matter) is that they serve the food on hot plates to keep the food warm whilst you're eating, such a difference to out last experience at Saathi.

Overall, I was very impressed. It was a great meal with excellent service and all for about £20-25 per person. I'll definitely be back over the couple of weeks.

• Visited December 2011