I booked Falstone Barns for three nights as a birthday surprise for my boyfriend. We stayed in the Classic Opulent apartment. You're supposed to get a welcome letter before arrival, mine never made it to me unfortunately, so on arrival we weren't really sure what to do. We knew what our room looked like from photographs and the door was open with our keys when we arrived.
While unpacking the car the nice owner Nickey ran out and introduced herself and kindly helped us with our luggage. She informed us that there had been a problem with our hot water that she thought had already been resolved until the day before and told us that her plumber would be there later on to fix it. Nickey then told us about the area and all the amenities, she also booked us a reservation at The Pheasant Inn for our dinner which was very helpful.
The apartment itself was gorgeous, everything was clean and tidy, totally spotless. Soon after we arrived the plumber began work trying to fix the hot water, he was there for a couple hours and due to the cupboard being between the living area and bedrooms it was a bit awkward having to step over him while trying to get ready for our meal. Nevertheless the problem was resolved...
The main and most luxurious bedroom had a slight problem we found, there were two skylights in the ceiling which were only covered by a thin sheet, so since it's summer, unless you want to be woken up by the light at 5am, this made the room impossible to sleep in. We were very disappointed about this, although the other bedroom was lovely.
The next morning we had a knock on our door from Nickey with her plumber just to make sure everything was still working. We thought this would be quick as we wanted to get dressed and out and about, apparently not! An hour and a half later and the plumber had just left, again another awkward experience trying to get ready.
A final niggle that I will mention is that on our last night at about 7 o'clock our TV stopped working, the sky had completely frozen. Obviously this isn't a massive deal but the one night we have in, it breaks, just our luck! The main problem that we had however was contacting Nickey, if you didn't already know there is no phone service in Falstone (you can use the phone box in the village) so we were unable to ring her. As this was at night the reception was closed, the best I could do was email, which wasn't answered until after we left the next day. So the main issue here was lack of contact.
Overall we enjoyed our stay here, the rooms and surroundings were gorgeous. I think the Classic Opulent is your best bet for an apartment, as it's upstairs it feels a bit more private, however beware of people in the downstairs apartment (especially if they have screaming kids and like to set the smoke alarm off 10 times at 9 in the morning) thank god that was on the day we left! I do however think for the amount of money I paid that things such as the TV breaking and having no hot water should not be happening, although Nickey was very apologetic.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Falstone Barns we have 4 5* luxuriously appointed apartments, set in a courtyard and overlooking 38 acres of private estate. We can cater for your every need, from self-catering alone or additional packages which you might like to try; such as Pamper, Fine Dining, Clay Pigeon shooting and Horseriding. We welcome Families, Groups, couples and are awarded VisitBritain Family, Walkers, Cyclist friendly. We also have one apartment which is awarded Accessibility level 2. Your very own place in the country! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Hotels.com, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Falstone Barns reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Falstone Barns Hotel Hexham
- Falstone Barns Hexham, Northumberland