“Terrible directions.”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$678.11*
and up
5-Day Heart of England Tour from London: North Wales, Stratford-upon-Avon...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Visit the legendary home of Robin Hood at Sherwood Forest Country Park which is a 450 acre site within the wider Sherwood Forest National Nature Reserve. The visitor centre includes a café, two shops, toilets and a short film show about the history of Sherwood Forest and the Nottinghamshire Dukeries, plus a small but interesting Robin Hood exhibition. Woodland walk to the Major Oak. Many of the oak trees here are veterans several hundreds of years old. Waymarked paths enable visitors to explore the native oak and birch woodland, interspersed by heathland and grassland. A car park charge of £3 applies every day through the main season (£5 during the Robin Hood Festival 31st July - 6th August 2017)
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The forest itself is lovely, but there are 3 possible walks, and we got very little info on what each would offer.

The information provided my the visitor centre staff and the pamphlet they handed us gave the impression that the longer walk (2h) would cover all the other shorter walks offered, plus more.
Well, we walked for over 3 hours and only say the same kind of landscape: trees and grass. No 'major oak' nor grazing cattle!

Furthermore, after a while the signs for the walk simply vanished! There were 3 of us and we were all paying attention, so chanced of everyone missing the signs (which should be very clearly positioned anyway) are thin.

We got lost and almost missed the last bus back to Nottingham.

The experience could have been much improved by better signage and information.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Been here twice now with our almost two year old, lovely walk and lots to see. The cafe has excellent food and great events highly recommended if the weather is dry.

1  Thank kerry857
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I had a lovely stroll around the forest on a quiet evening. It was very quiet and there were very few other people around which helped the wildlife come out. We saw many kinds of birds and half a dozen squirrels (or my husband suggests maybe one that was following us around, lol). Some of the trees are truly enormous on the walk around to the Major Oak but the Oak itself is really something. Although it's being held up by poles and supporting wires it still looks amazing and just imagining Robin Hood and his Merry Men hiding around the area made it feel even more historic.

The Major Oak is advertised as a 25 minute walk into the forest but it was more like 15 and I felt I would have liked a longer trek in. Although we could have opted for the longer walk had we so wished.

I loved walking around the forest and wish I lived closer so we could do it on a more regular basis.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I loved the Major Oak and the woods and the Forest Centre. They had the most beautiful statues and the place had a masculine air to it the way I imagine any place the legendary Robin Hood stayed in would be.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I was at Sherwood Forest during April of this year for a stroll through the woods. Directions to this place are horrible. I ended up at a dead end which faced a field, only to turn around again and go in the opposite direction. This of course if the fault of GPS and local sign posting, which in this case were few. The location itself is beautiful,parking is free now from what the attendant said, there are picnic areas too and information consisting of the Forest and its upkeep. Walking about was impressive as I felt so small sating next to the big oaks. Here, the main attraction is the Major Oak (sponsored at the time by a major) and although unfortunately it is being help up, it is still a sight to see the enormous trunk of this tree. The place itself is kept clean and tidy and everything has information consisting of the history behind the location. Bring a picnic and some drinks and enjoy the views and walks.