“Was it my unlucky day?”
Review of The Kean's Head

The Kean's Head
Ranked #94 of 1,345 Restaurants in Nottingham
Price range: US$3 - US$29
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A single-room Pub in the historic Lace Market, adjacent to Nottingham City Centre. A hidden gem, the Pub presents as a traditional watering hole offering great Keg, Cask and Draught Beers and Ciders, as well as myriad Bottles, Whiskies and Gins. We also have a great Food Menu. Accessible and Dog Friendly, with Pay-and-Display Parking nearby, we're a perfect venue for all your needs
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I have used this pub several times and it is a quaint little place hidden away up a cobbled side street. For lovers of real ale, it would tick the boxes but excellent wine is available too.
I went there recently with a friend for something to eat and drink at lunchtime on a cold January day which turned out to be a bad decision.
It all started off with the pub being cold and draughty and a surly barman who had a couldn't care less manner about him. He obviously loves his job!:-( We got our drinks, sat down and decided to both have a BLT sandwich with some chips. Order was taken by the same surly barman who looked really put out at being parted from his newspaper but we ignored his attitude. After what seemed like a lifetime the food appeared served by the same surly barman. The bread was extremely fresh alongside the rocket salad but the bacon in the sandwich was hard to find. I didn't know that we have a bacon shortage in this Country at the moment but obviously Kean's have! The chips were fine thank goodness. We didn't raise a complaint as we decided that it would fall on deaf ears but we will certainly think twice before eating here again.
Reading some of the previous reviews, I see that other people have raised concerns about the staff. In all fairness, until my recent visit I have never had a problem with any of them. The others have always been very friendly, polite and informative serving the customers with a smile. They seem to have a bad apple now who needs to change his attitude or find another job. If not then Kean's will lose customers and there is plenty of competition for business in good bars and pubs nearby.
As for me, I shall still go to Kean's for a drink as it is a delightful old pub but hoping that different staff are there to serve me in the Kean's manner that I am accustomed to. Waiting for warmer weather might well be a good idea too!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We have been here a few times for drinks as they serve a good selection of real ales and always said that we would try the food. Today we did and I can't wait to go back there. we had a delicous soup with foccacia. Followed this with corned beef hash for my boyfriend and steak and black pudding pie for me. Fantastic value for money and the bar staff were wonderful. The beer was delicious. Despite the name the Su Pollard is to die for if you like dark beers. I would definitely recommend and can't wait to visit again for food.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Lots of real ales, decent wines by the glass, and fine pub grub too. The only downside is that sometimes the bar staff lack a little bit of finesse. However, look beyond this and send your pal to the bar to get the drinks and just enjoy everything else about this fab pub.

Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Visited galleries of justice and looked for somewhere interesting for lunch. What a find. Gorgeous fish chips and peas, wonderful range of beers served expertly and knowledgeably by charming bartender.
Brilliant

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Found this place by accident, looked it up on the internet looking for places with a good selection of real ales. When you first go in it feels quite small compared to most city centre pubs,but its got great character and atmosphere. When you look at the bar you are astounded at the variety and diversity of the beers on sale. Real ales,ciders and a fantastic range of bottled beers, German ,Belgium and Trappist, like a kid in a sweetshop. They also have the biggest selection of malt whiskey from around the globe that I have ever seen in a pub that's not in Scotland.I get the same reaction when I take my friends to this place. This is also a good place to take the wife for a drink as there are a lot of restaurants about, but you could also eat here as the food is delicious[game pie]