“Dirty, noisy, smelly!”

Ranked #47 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Dirty, noisy, smelly!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with friends. We shared a room.
The room must have been recently painted because throughout our stay there was this intense chemical smell in the room that was very unpleasant.

The windows are not double glazed, so much so that the noise coming from outside made it look like the windows were open.

There was a lot of dust in the room, including inside the wardrobe and over the hangers, and also on the towel rain in the bathroom, which caused towels and clothes we put there to get dirty.

The shower was awful. No pressure and cold.

One of the beds was simply terrible. It had the mattress wires all sticking out. I woke up with bruises in my legs and tights from sleeping there one night (we took turns to sleep on that bed).

At breakfast there was no cheese offered, which for a vegetarian, makes options a bit scarce. Mind you that breakfast costs an extra £6 per day.
They would quickly ran out of clean cups and on the second day, they provided plastic cups for the juice.
The toasters worked terribly and only 1/2 the toast slots were actually working.

One morning, a member of staff approach me when I was waiting for my toast to get ready, told me that it was there for too long and therefore should be burning (there was no burning smell), and then, without asking or anything, switched off the toaster and took my toast with HIS HANDS!!!
Only to realise that the bread wasn't toasted after all, so he them apologised and put the bread back in!

The TV in the bedroom had a broken screen. Not a little chip in a corner, like a top to bottom portion of the screen that couldn't be seen!

And finally, on the last day, member of staff knocked at the door to say there had been a mistake. They had charged £3.30 instead of £330. That was indeed the case, so when I went to pay, they wanted to charge me £327 as opposed to £326.7.

The good bits: bed linen was clean and bathroom too, apart from the towel rail. The carpet also looked like it had been recently hoovered.

So, unless you're very desperate, I would avoid this place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

After seeing the photos on the booking website, we expected a small but clean room, fair enough that's what we got. However, we didn't get any towels, there were duct taped up cables hanging from the walls and someone had left an old can of strongbow behind the one (tiny) mirror. I am not normally a complainer but wow, for £60 a night, you would expect some basic amenities :( the only plus side was that we stayed in a triple and the single bed was like floating on a cloud! ...double was like a rock... I wouldn't stay here again

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

Cleckheaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Had a room with an adjoining (locked) door to guest and heard that guest yell at her child for a long, long time. Rooms are drab and need serious sound-proofing. Had to ask for a cup for my tea, as none was in my room. TV volume in reception area was so loud I wouldn't have wanted to sit there. Opted to pay extra for the breakfast in the morning, which was of poor quality (no whole wheat bread available, for example) and the sausage was overcooked to blackened. I asked for a hair dryer but none was available so they gave me a key to a room that wasn't occupied and I used the wall-mounted hair dryer in that room and then returned that room's key to reception before going back to my own room. Now that's service - not! You get what you pay for, as they say.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed on April 5th 2014. Despite the reviews , they were able to cater for 13 lads out for my bday. The greeting and getting the rooms sorted was easy and the lady on shift was polite and helpful The rooms weren't immaculate, but they were spacious, and had really nice bathrooms (3x 4 bed, 1x2 bed). The bar was great and had a pool table, along with sports on. There were some permanent residents, some council funded, which I thought was strange, but we chatted to some who didnt cause us any bother. The night porter was friendly and happy to serve drink pretty much all night. Happened to go when a couple of stag and hen do's were on so the hotel was full and people were in the reception drinking till early hours, which was great considering why I was there!. Beds werent too comfy but the alcohol consumption meant that didnt matter.

Overall, it is perfect if you are going out for the night. Great staff, not too pricey, free parking and a good location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

It's not as bad as everyone makes out. You get what u pay for so don't expect the ritz. Saw no bugs and had a decent breakfast served by the luvly Romanian Debera. It could do with a lick of paint and the Hoover moving about a bit more.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
northampton
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Well what can I say... This is actually my 3rd time at this hotel and will not stay again.. You get what you pay for is why I kept comin back but this time there were 12 of us and we ask for 2 triples and 3 twins and didn't even get that.. We for the triples but then 4 singles and a double room.. They didn't give a crap when we said we didn't pay for this..no towels and when you ask for some they said we will look for ya... Surely a hotel has towels??? We asked for some sort of refund for the double room and they replied with what can we do... Well give us the rooms we paid for maybe??? Any way we got 2 free drinks each for the lads in the room and that's all... Having full time residents living there is not on.. Smelly idiot is all I can say bout him.. Alt of the rooms don't even have kettles in but have cups and tea, coffee!! Doesn't make seance to me

• Stayed March 2014
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

A late booking for myself and my 13 year old son as we had been given concert tickets and couldn't get anywhere in the town centre. On pulling up to the hotel I actually thought it was closed! Paintwork and first image of hotel was appalling if I hadn't already paid up front for the room I would have driven on! On entering the hotel we were greeted by a young girl who left a bit to the imagination and whose English was very poor. Although very friendly she just didn't understand anything we asked for eg towels for the room! The room itself was disgraceful, three single beds on bases that all had holes in and were filthy. The bedside cabinet was broken at the bottom and on trying to move it the top came off! The drawers provided were all broken too. Curtains couldn't be opened just as well really as when we looked out the window there were old mattresses out the back. The room had no ventilation as the windows didn't stay open, a coffee cup came in handy to wedge the window open in the stuffy room. Two coat hangers were provided. No towels which we had to go and ask for. The walls were dirty and needed a lick of paint. There was however a new shower unit but the curtain let it down as water spilled out onto the floor. The night receptionist was lovely and helpful with bus times, taxis etc. Full English in the morning was OK obviously warmed up though. Coffee and tea left in pots and so were cold. Dining room was freezing cold. The hotel was disgraceful and I would certainly not recommend it to anyone. If it hadn't been for the fact I had my son with me I would have complained and asked for my money back but I doubt I would have got that anyway reading someone else's review who asked for their money back! Non English speaking staff is not a good thing for an English hotel!! Disgraceful bar area too with sofas that I wouldn't sit my dog on!!

Room Tip: Don't book any of them!