“Pleasantly surprised!”

The Cods Scallops (Mansfield Road)
Ranked #21 of 1,481 Restaurants in Nottingham
Reviewed 8 January 2019 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend were looking for a chippy and saw this place opposite our hotel. We were greeted by extremely friendly staff and were taken back to the sea side with the uniforms and decoration of the room, it’s literally like you’ve just strolled off a British beach front!

The food was equally delicious, portion sizes were perfect and the sauces were to die for! I had the battered sausage (which you get 2 for £2.60!!!) the batter was so light I didn’t even struggle to finish both!

My boyfriend had the fish cakes which were a good size and you could tell they weren’t your standard fish cakes! They were fresh, light and beautifully seasoned. So tastey and at a good price. The curry sauce was not your standard curry sauce you usually come to expect. It was refreshing to have a slight kick and was so flavoursome.

They have won awards and were finalists in the British Fish And Chip Quality awards. They are MSC certified which is always good to know.

Overall we would 100% come back again and recommend this place to friend and family.

Date of visit: January 2019

Reviewed 3 January 2019

Been past this place for a while now, and today was the day, I'm goin in,,.

A Wednesday after Christmas when most people should be back at work, ( By the way I had the day off,,)

Walking in there I expected 5- 10 people tops,, o no. I walked through the doors confronted with people everywhere, people to my left waiting, people to my right waiting, really didn't know what to do, I asked a member of staff who kindly asked me to order with him and wait for my number to be called a little like KFC or McDonalds,, you get me drift.

There is no signage or directions what is where , sit down area to your left, take away orders to your right, and just near the middle a massive square area for people to sit have a drink and play on their phone, total waste of space, get rid.

The food was OK can't say it blew me away, I had small fish & chips plus mushy peas total £5.50 ish. I've posted photos of food and stand out square thing,,.

To be honest was expecting good things here, was ok could be better,

1, Make it clear when you walk in where you have to go for what you want (Signage always a good start).

2, Are you a restaurant or a takeaway or both? Make it clear .

3, Get rid of massive waste of space square counter in the middle.

Don't forget there is always a bloke called George around,,,,,

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed 23 December 2018

Hot good portions and lovely service. Much improved than our last visit in the summer.

We previously left a negative review but today they redeemed themselves

Reviewed 22 December 2018

Very good fish and chips @ £9.50 I would have expected to get peas in with that price but had to spend a further £1.40 for them, service very good.

Reviewed 21 December 2018 via mobile

Went with my wife after collecting her son for christmas and he recommended this place. ..absolutely stunning...the decor is fabulous and the fish was simply superb.
Go here for the best fish and chips I've ever had....and very friendly and happy staff...