“An okay and economical stay” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Midtown Hostel

Midtown Hostel
Mumbai
“An okay and economical stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

This place is only good if you want to stay in the city centre for a very cheap price and just to spend a night. Its for back packers. The 6 bed room is very small and congested. Beds are fine and location is good.

Room Tip: Take the 3 bed one.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Aarian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wellingborough
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

I made a telephone reservation for a bed for one night on Friday 14th October. Having spoken to a guy named Adrian he assured me it was no problem to simply turn up at a mutually agreed time and pay for my accommodation on arrival. When I arrived later that night I rang the door buzzer several times. I knocked as loudly as I could.... several times.... I even telephoned the hostel (on the same number that I had phoned to make the original reservation).... several times. I got no answer, no response and even spoke to the 'Yamas' restaurant next door and the Comedy club directly opposite to ascertain how I could get access. All I wanted was a budget priced accommodation/bed for the night and having agreed and spoken to Adrian for reservation was extremely angry, frustrated and in disbelief at the apalling way in which I was treated. I spent somehere around 20 unsuccessful minutes trying to make contact with Midtown. I would never use this facility and strongly discourage others to do so. Thankfully another hostel in Nottingham (Igloo) very kindly agreed to put me up at short notice and offered excellent service and facilities for a budget accommodation.

Room Tip: Beware of not getting an answer/entry in to this facility!
Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank TerryBen69
Wigan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

Great location, right in the middle of the city center. Very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are cleaned every day. There's a computer connected to the Internet you can use for free, and you can also use your wireless-enabled laptop, if you happend to travel with one (like I did). You can get in & out of the hostel at any time, which is great if you want to go out at night. In the kitchen there's a fridge and 2 microwaves, and also free tea and coffee! All in all, one of the best hostels I've been. Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

I actually stayed here for one night in the summer of 2009 as I couldn't find a YHA in Nottingham. I am a single female and had never visited Nottingham before. The room I stayed in was a dorm with about 5 beds. When booking on the website I did not have the option of choosing either single sex or mixed dorms. The room I stayed in was clearly occupied by other people who had been staying there for a while as there were a lot of possessions in the room. I simply assumed that they would be other females but after having gone to bed was horrified to be woken up in the night by two men who were staying in the room. Thankfully, they didn't bother me but I did find my stay quite an unnerving experience because of this. The staff I met when I arrived were quite brisk and rude and did not mention at any point that I would be alone in a room with two strange men! I really do not think this is acceptable.

Added to that, the room I stayed in had a really pungent smell of damp. Was v glad to get out of there! My advice to all single females seeking to stay in a hostel is to research any potential places you're going to stay at very carefully!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Lydia1987061
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

BED BUGS!!! I woke up with my eye swollen shut, my hands so fat I couldn't bend my fingers and welts all over my body. DISGUSTING. The staff was very rude. When I asked to switch beds they did not know their rates and could not explain why I had to have the bed in the corridor when all the other beds were available (though they lied and said they were booked). It has been three days and after much medication I am able to open my eye and move my fingers again. I feel completely violated. Maybe you will be lucky and not get a bed with complimentary bed bugs, in which case the hostel has a nice kitchen, clean bathrooms, and is right in the center of town. Unfortunately the horror of bed bugs is not worth all this. I have been traveling in hostels for 5 months now and this has been by far my worst experience due to the rude staff and disgusting beds.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo