“Regular Bubble Tea Hotspot, Excited to taste the food!”
Review of Noodle King - CLOSED

Noodle King
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I'm a hong kong local, so bubble tea is just a comfort food from home, it's almost become a necessity! Now I can get it fresh all the time! The food looks amazing here and I can't wait to try it out!

Reviewed 1 December 2011

I have to say that we were invited here and hosted by two Chinese friends who chose the dishes.... so if you decide to go, follow the good advice from other reviewers about what to choose and what not to......
What did I like? The range of food and the quality. The food reminded us of our trips to restaurants in China and was amongst the best we have eaten in the UK. We enjoyed a sweet and sour fish dish, a spicy beef hot-pot, char siu (?) pork, lobster, vegetables, Singapore style noodle and rice. All good.
The service was good too. The staff seem happy working together.
The melamine tables make for a clean functionality, which I like.
What I did not like: the pancakes to go with our shredded crispy duck.
My verdict?: we will go again. It is good value. The Chinese students love it, apparently it is the most recommended on the Chinese language student network for Nottingham.

Would I expect anyone to like it? No. It is not good for a romantic dinner. You would not impress a business client here, unless they knew China. A big occasion is not the time to "celebrate" here. Just go for clean service, good food and the company you take with you

But it beats May Sum and Peechy Keans any day of the week, and has a similar price position - much better value (but not a self serve buffet where you stuff yourself stupid)

1  Thank ScalliwagToo
Reviewed 21 June 2011

This is easily one of my favourite places for lunch and I find myself with a hunger pang that can only be satisfied by a Noodle King "Big plate rice" about twice a month.

I knew it was going to be good when its windows were filled with signs announcing "Noddle King Openning Soon", right across the road from my favourite (and sadly missed) record shop. From their humble beginnings where they took only cash payments and it was BYO wine (they only carged £1.50 "conkage") they've come quite a long way and it seems the menu has grown. And I shouldn't be unfair with my friendly jests...my Cantonese is hardly up to scratch and error spotting on their menu has become a favourite pre-meal past time (I've yet to try their new Chinese Flower Bums).

Others have said you that what you order can make the difference between a great visit or a bad visit. The first part of the menu is divided up into "Big plate of noodles" dishes (a long list to choose from, and options for noodle type), "Big plate of rice" dishes (same sort of thing) and "Big bowl soup" dishes (again with a choice of noodle type).

If you're not feeling massively adventurous the following are always a winner..
- Chicken Satay Sauce with Vermicelli Noodles (the satay isn't like the peanutty one you might be familiar with)
- Kung Po Chicken with Fried Rice
- Shredded Pork with Sea Spicy Sauce and HoFun Noodles
- Three roasties with Soup Udon Noodles
- Beef in XO Sauce with Fried Rice

AVOID the following if you're not versed in what to expect:
- Chinese style noodles. These aren't what you'd expect...they're like Super Noodles, albeit a lot better and chinese style but not exactly posh.
- Crispy noodles. Imagine the above but deep fried instead of boiled. A member of our party had these
- Beef brisket. Personally I love it but it's very fatty and many might not enjoy.

Their spare ribs starter is also brilliant. I'm not usually a fan but the portion you get for £4.50 is enourmous (in fact, all their portions of everything are enourmous). If you like a bit of a spicy edge to your food ask for some of the chilli oil which comes with chilli flakes...it's not as hot as it sounds but adds a gorgeous spicy and earthy flavour to your food. I love the fact there's plenty of dishes on the menu that have no English translation given...I just need to pluck up the courage to investigate what some of them are and try them as some of the things I've seen delievered to the tables of many Chiense students who are a permanent fixture of the restaurant look incredible and totally new to me.

The booze is expensive, but as I'm here for lunch I usually opt for a coke or a pot of green tea.

As people have said, the restaurant is very basic and lacks any atmosphere. Melamine tables, sparse decoration and paper serviettes are the order of the day and the service is adequate and polite although sometimes in broken English. This isn't a problem, however, as it's not trying to be anything different. It's not a place to take a date or guests for a special meal out but if you're out casually with a few friends or your partner and need a quick, lovely and inexpensive meal you can't fault it.

They do takeout (which seems very popular with a lot of the businesses and shops around Hockley) and I believe they have Karaoke booths upstairs. Perhaps some will find that useful to know. I, however, will remain in the restaurant.

Reviewed 1 May 2011

Noodle King is a dreadful name for a chinese restaurant. However, the food is stunning! This is home-style chinese cooking and include a huge range of northern chinese and schezaun options that you won't find anywhere else in nottingham. The restaurant is very popular with nottingham's chinese students (and lots of other people too). Beware, however, the portions are huge, so plan to share when your order, or prepare to be overwhelmed. This is one of the most interesting and best value restaurants in Nottingham.

Reviewed 13 January 2011

Perfectly adequate, but what seemed to me to be unremarkable British-style chinese food. Maybe there are hidden delights on the menu that were lost on me