“What a great experience!”

Restaurant Sat Bains
Ranked #3 of 1,421 Restaurants in Nottingham
Price range: US$110 - US$162
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A Two Star Michelin restaurant serving modern British cuisine with eight bedrooms. Lunch on Chef's, Kitchen table or Nucleus. Wednesday to Saturday From 12.00 Noon. Dinner Wednesday to Thursday 6.30 Pm - 9.00 Pm. Friday and Saturday 6.00 Pm - 9.45 Pm. Booking Essential.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“What a great experience!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We booked a table in the restaurant for our anniversary. We had seen the menu choices and drinks prices in advance on the website so we knew how much the evening would cost and were happy with that. We were greeted promptly and got excellent service whilst waiting in the bar area to be seated at our table. It was there we overheard a couple debating on how to keep the cost of the meal down by negotiating smaller tasting menus and cheaper drinks! We did wonder why they didn't check the cost in advance as we could tell their evening would be spoiled by the stress of it! Having eaten at a lot of great restaurants including some 1 and 2 Michelin starred we did wonder if we would find anything new at Sat Bains and were pleasantly surprised. Each course of the tasting menu was excellent (we particularly enjoyed the sensory experience with the venison) and accompanied by a great bottle of champagne - what more could you want! My only small criticism would be that if you are sat in the conservatory and look up you can see a few wires and cables which need tucking away. Small details I know but restaurant owners need to consider the 360 degree experience and they were right in my view!Either move them or move the chairs to have another view! Having said that you don't pick this restaurant for its views so I haven't changed the excellent rating I've given. On a par with the food was trying the sparkling saki (yes and its amazing) and having the tempered chocolate stacks with our coffees. And we got to meet Sat. He is apparently more than happy to meet his guests if he is there and we were showed round his kitchens, introduced to all of his staff and had a long chat with him. Perfect evening!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Angela B

Northampton
“Fabulous evening”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This is my second time at this restaurant, having visited in December last year. We booked this as a table of 6 as a start of our sons 21st birthday weekend celebrations. Front of house service is fantastic, friendly and welcoming - she is a wonderful ambassador to you Sat! The food was impeccable, as expected of this kind of restaurant. The service was professional but not over bearing and the changes made to the menu for my older son were handled smoothly and with good nature. All course's were well received but the additional egg with peas dish and the duck were outstanding! There really was nothing to fault the food, wine & service; it was all excellent. The bill was just short of £1100, which included a 10 course tasting menu, 4 additional egg dishes, 2 bottles of champagne, 2 bottles of white,1 bottle of red, 5 bottles of water and teas/coffees. We felt represented good value for the whole experience. When the menu gets changed we shall book again.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank suzysu67
“Birthday treat”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My son had been to Sat Bains previously and raved about the taster menu he had shared with his wife, so when she suggested another surprise trip for his 30th birthday we were eager to give it a try. We booked the chefs table which was attached to the main kitchen and had a fantastic night. The delicious food, was art and entertainment in one. The staff were attentive without being pushy and always seemed to enter our room when a glass became empty, which was spooky until we noticed that the staff in the kitchen appeared to be watching a TV. we discovered that each of the tables were monitored by CCTV so the service was seamless. We were able to watch the great man himself in the kitchen. My son was thrilled when Sat came into the room to explain the thinking behind a course. He seemed very relaxed and took his time to explain the execution of the dish. We were treated to a tour around the greenhouses, the composter which was very space age and introduced to the rabbits. At £99 per head it was well worth the money. Saving up for the experimental kitchen next!!!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Janet G
“Chic Dinning”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Excellent Service, very welcoming and professional. i enjoyed my fine dinning at Sat Bains and the experience at the Restaurant was wonderful. I would definitely go there again and this time i will make sure i don't drink so much to enjoy the food more.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Tarlika C
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Deleted my bad review - so here I go again”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Pretentious chef with an ego. If you like dining under electricity pylons and eating the nettle soup 'harvested locally' then this is right up your street (or dirt track in this case). Don't take my word for it. Check it out on google maps. I would never go back and wish that I'd spent the money elsewhere. Service was good but the Chef's presence was not always required or welcome. Redefines narcissism.

72 Thank John L