“Lost for words (almost)”

Restaurant Sat Bains
Ranked #3 of 1,455 Restaurants in Nottingham
Price range: US$123 - US$168
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A Two Star Michelin restaurant serving Creative, Modern British cuisine in a 7 and 10 course tasting menu format. 7 luxury bedrooms. Lunch on Chef's Table , Kitchen table and Nucleus. Wednesday to Saturday From 12.00 Noon. Dinner Wednesday to Thursday 6.30 Pm - 9.30 Pm. Friday and Saturday 6.00 Pm - 9.30 Pm. Booking Essential.
Reviewed 31 October 2018

If I was to tell you what was less good about all the other restaurants’ tasting menus I have had over the years, you will see why Sat Bains is so superior.
1. The individual courses are all very nice but they don’t stand on their own as an inventive dish. A nice piece of cod and a slice of chorizo is fine but I could do that. Sat invents dishes that sound bizarre on paper but are amazing to taste. Yes, smoked eel and chicken velouté does work! Yes, chicken parfait and frozen granola does work!
2. The courses come one after another. Fairly obvious, but the thing is that they don’t link to each other or complement each other. At Sat’s, each course reminds you a bit of the last one and leaves you anticipating the next. The crossover course, taking you from savoury to sweet is brilliant. This time we had a sundried tomato jammy dodger (yes, it does work!). Last time is was miso fudge.
3. Wine waiters like to show off and nudge you to the expensive end. At Sat’s, the sommelier is a genius. I simply described the flavour of wine we wanted and he found one for us, a delicious Washington State syrah. Next time I will have the accompanying wine-tasting menu too (although when I did that at Hambleton Hall I lost memory of the last two desserts, I think one was fois gras ice-cream but that’s only because I kept the menu).
So please keep it up Sat and team, you are the best by far!

Date of visit: October 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,517)

Reviewed 31 October 2018 via mobile

Long lunch with a friend that ended up being a good laugh, we learned a lot from the chefs and sommelier.

Main course served by Sat himself and the general buzz and order going on was most impressively

The seats are high up and the fine wines were indeed finely paired, with great enthusiasm.

As you’d expect a 5* experience, I will be back as it was a great experience!

Reviewed 27 October 2018

Booked kitchen bench for a family Friday evening meal.Wow oh wow,what a fabulous menu and great to see and chat to chefs and the boss Sat Bains.A place you must go .

2  Thank Terence L
Reviewed 25 October 2018 via mobile

Last night I took my wife to RSB to eat (and stay) to celebrate her birthday.

From the start of the booking process to check out this morning the experience was friendly and efficient.

As for the dinner... what can one say about a chef at the top of his game? The food was sublime and the wine pairing enhanced the food taking us into areas previously unknown.

Thank you so much and we hope to return next year.

1  Thank E6426TQpaulb
Reviewed 21 October 2018

We went as two couple's for our friends birthday and took part in the 10 course tasting menu sitting directly in the kitchen watching the food be prepared. It was amazing! The staff were really friendly and engaged with us just the right amount without being intrusive. Watching them create their dishes was fascinating. They delivered and explained each one perfectly. The food was outstanding and we all agreed the best restaurant experience we've had. We would definitely do this again for a special occasion.

1  Thank Nicnjohn