“As good as it gets”

Price range: US$120 - US$165
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A Two Star Michelin restaurant serving Creative, Modern British cuisine in a 7 and 10 course tasting menu format. 7 luxury bedrooms. Lunch on Chef's Table , Kitchen table and Nucleus. Wednesday to Saturday From 12.00 Noon. Dinner Wednesday to Thursday 6.30 Pm - 9.30 Pm. Friday and Saturday 6.00 Pm - 9.30 Pm. Booking Essential.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Having seen on the website that there was availability for a room and meal we booked over the 'phone. This process was friendly and efficient but I prefer using the internet.

The welcome at reception was first rate. The superior room was large and well appointed with a four-poster bed. In our opinion the lighting in the room was poor and we were unable to read. The TV relies upon Freeview, which is pretty dreadful. Get a dish Sat!

I am not a food reviewer but the ten-course tasting menu was one of the best ever; flavours were stunning and presentation excellent. Service at all times was faultless.

Breakfast was good, if not memorable.

The semi-rural location allows for a pleasant stroll by the river Trent.

Overall this was an extravagant overnight stay but not overpriced.

2  Thank KevinTurvey
Write a ReviewReviews (1,499)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We visited RSB a few weeks ago as a group of friends and enjoyed an evening beyond compare at the chef's table. Service was excellent, and the chef's table outbuilding was small and intimate, perfect for our needs.

Our chef explained every dish thoroughly and clearly relished expressing his passion for food to us through his cooking.

Every single dish was beyond compare, a symphony of contrasting and complementing flavours bound together with flair.

I could not fault this meal one star out of a thousand, every piece of the evening was incomparable.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank oliverp317
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We booked Nucleus as a surprise for a friends birthday and it’s been a couple of years since we ate in the development kitchen. It was nice to see the bench had been swapped for a round table which was more sociable. Our private chef was excellent and I should have written his name down. . I’m sorry I didn’t because he deserved a personal mention. The food as always was exceptional, having never eaten eel before it’s not something I would have chosen but was one of my favourite dishes from the tasting menu. The wine paring was a definite winner and again included wines I hadn’t tasted before. The candy floss surprise was delicious I wish I could make it at home. Having learnt that some of the sauces and dishes take days to make it justifies the price.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The four of us tried the seven course taster menu (although two of us added two extra courses) and all agreed that both the food and the service were superb. Staff were always attentive without be intrusive, informative but also relaxed and friendly. All of the food was very good but some flavours were sublime. The flavour combinations and presentation of the food were sometimes so original they challenged preconceptions: who would have thought smoked eel could taste so good, or that tobacco would add such an electric tang to chocolate?

Worth going at least once in your life...

2  Thank H5622SUjeremys
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Genuinely exceptional evening! The food was utterly incredible that’s all I can say really as could give a long list of superlatives.

Don’t let the menu put you off!! We didn’t book for a few years as didn’t sound very inviting!

Make sure you go for the 10 courses as you don’t want to miss a thing, the eel and sweetbreads were amazing!

Very attentive staff (might be slightly too much for some people and with varying enthusiasm).

Sommeliers were also excellent.

Only blip was whilst trying to make the booking was met with a very cold slightly blunt respondee (rang several times and wasn’t just one person like this).