“Special”

Price range: US$146 - US$172
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A Two Star Michelin restaurant serving Creative, Modern British cuisine in a 7 and 10 course tasting menu format. 7 luxury bedrooms. Lunch on Chef's Table , Kitchen table and Nucleus. Wednesday to Saturday From 12.00 Noon. Dinner Wednesday to Thursday 6.30 Pm - 9.30 Pm. Friday and Saturday 6.00 Pm - 9.30 Pm. Booking Essential.
Reviewed 28 December 2018

An incredible night. We came living in Nottinghamshire and having always wanted to try some Michelin star food, were not disappointed. The service was personal, without being intimidating, and we had a really good evening. We came for the 8:30 sitting which we initially thought might be too late, although people started to leave at 11 so the atmosphere was there for pretty much the whole evening. Managed really well with having a drink initially, to being showed to our table to coffees afterwards. We tried the 10 courses with a wine tasting and some of the food blew us away. I think we tried 1 dish which wasn't to our liking although thats out of personal preference only. Could not recommend a place more and despite the location being tucked away, you couldn't tell where you were when inside.

Date of visit: October 2018
2  Thank Charlie W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,544)

Reviewed 27 December 2018

Excellent restaurant, excellent food, wine and service. Stayed overnight in luxurious suite. Can't overdo the superlatives about the whole experience.

Date of visit: May 2018
2  Thank Sightseer795207
Reviewed 23 December 2018

Tasting menu experience. Mega. Had a fab evening with friends and would return again and again and again. Great atmosphere, incredible food, thank you team!

Date of visit: November 2018
2  Thank mbak232
Reviewed 21 December 2018 via mobile

The environment is very classy, everyone's dressed up smartly and overall the venue looks very nice.

I went here with my boyfriend, while we were in town for a funeral. We booked 5 days in advance, because I had heard soo much about this place and really wanted to try it out. We knew about the very strict cancellation policy but it was fine as we were most definitely going to go anyway. I would recommend you avoid booking if there's any chance you might cancel.
We were greeted at the door, and told there had been a confusion and we had to wait 20mins for our table, this was fine, we waited- but still not pleasant considering the status of this restaurant. They apologized many times and were very sorry this had happened which is understandable.

The food was nice, it looked more appealing than it tasted, the bright colours and how the plate was decorated in harmony, was very unique and artistic. The food was good, I'm not complaining about it, but there wasn't really anything that jumped up to me, nothing irreplaceable or unforgettable. Furthermore the tasting menu wasn't very filling, the portions were extremely small and we did go back home a wee bit hungry, which is disappointing considering the amount of money we paid.

The wine selection was divine, really can't complain about anything there.

The only thing that extremely bothered us, was the staff. They were extremely rude, blunt and disrespectful - my boyfriend is ukranian/turkish and can't speak English fluently - the waiter was very rude towards him, my boyfriend speaks slowly and the waiter was trying to rush things up by interrupting him and speaking over. Towards the end of meal, we could see that the waiter was trying really hard for us to leave - even asked if he should bring the check (twice!!), I think because of our 20min delay there was others now waiting. The end of our meal and our desert was extremely rushed thanks to the waiter... we came here to have a calm romantic meal which was impossible towards the end, with our waiter constantly checking up on us to get us to leave.

Overall I would recommend this restaurant, it's an unique experience, although I don't think it's worth the extortionate check and the rude customer service.

Date of visit: October 2018
28  Thank dilarayagmurk
Reviewed 18 December 2018 via mobile

I reviewed this two days after our visit, but for whatever reason the lengthy full review did not appear on this site, if any moderator can locate it, then with my full permission please publish. Anyway to the review, took my two daughters for a birthday treat and Xmas rolled into one. To add to the treat my step daughter donated so that we could also enjoy the wine flight with the meal, something she, mother and me had enjoyed at L’enclume a few years ago. The service was professionally delivered throughout, led by the Maitre De, Service and delivery following that of the likes of the Fat Duck and L’Enclume. Selecting the seven course taster and intermediate wine flight, £90 pp, we settled into an excited dining room obviously enjoying the labours of the ten or so Chefs busily working behind the scene. The night was enjoyable overall, the highlite the exceptional Partridge main. The downer? The exteraneous noise created by the Musak particularly in the reception area, it’s a fine dining experience, not a disco. Even when using a single cubicle toilet, business was briskly conducted due to the outrageously loud background accompany, in a toilet! Right at the start of the evening, when the various menus and processes were explained to us, the professional and attentive delivery was ruined by the excess noise. A real shame as our master of ceremonies was a man who obviously knew his stuff. So, in conclusion, a nice but expensive experience partially ruined by unwanted and unwarranted noise. When settling the bill (allow £250pp), I drew attention to the noise. The explanation given was this is what the owner wanted. We were there to enjoy a family celebration, not listen to an episode of the Voice. Would I go again? No, Fine cooking, professional staff across the board, let down not by their labours but artificial interference.

Date of visit: November 2018