“Afternoon Tea”

Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 May 2012

The sandwiches were very chilled. The ginger cake and fondant icing mini cake were Mr Kiplings. The cream for the two small scones were from a can and had reduced to half its size and was foamy by the time we used it. This was a birthday treat from my daughter, even though it was from a groupon offer which meant we got it at a discount, the food was definately sub-standard. The service and decour was excellent, just the food that let it down so badly.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

This was our second visit to Georgetown. We were intrigued to find the menu had changed significantly since our earlier visit, with seemingly less focus on the Malaysian cuisine the restaurant was known for. The restaurant itself is welcoming, with lovely views over Colwick Park, and the staff are incredibly friendly.
For a starter I had an amazing Laksa, which was full of flavour and really whetted my appetite. Though my main (Beef Rendang) was nice, it perhaps lost something in the attempt to present it as high-class hotel food; a pile of rice, with beef slices arranged on top and a little (not enough) sauce. On the side was some fried okra, which was lovely. Desserts were also nice - homemade strawberry ice cream livened up a generic chocolate tart - but nothing out of the ordinary.
It felt a little as though they've been advised to focus more on traditional hotel food (Steak. Cajun fish) when they should be showcasing the magnificant Malaysian food that sets them apart from other restaurants in Nottingham. Worth a visit.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

Colwick Hall Hotel is a really impressive setting so we tried the place under a Groupon offer. We had the four course taster menu which you can see on their website. The food was lukewarm and frankly tasted as if it had all come out of a packet or worse. Everyone left at least one dish, some of it was inedible.
The cost would have been 39.50 if we had paid the full price although they do have offers. We wouldn't go back at any price unless they got a decent chef.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

We had the "taster menu" as a special deal, and even that was very poor value for money. Most of the "courses" were only lukewarm, and one of the starters described as "Goat cheese and red onion croquettes with vine roasted tomatoes and salad" was nothing more than a lukewarm potato croquette - on its own ! The seared scallops amounted to two finger nail sized pieces, and as for the "Lamb Briyani fan of slow cooked lamb delicately spiced, served with aromatic rice" that was two bits of lamb and rice which covered about four square inches on the plate - again only warm. Perhaps if we had paid £39.50 each for the main menu "taster menu" it might have been better.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We were booked in one fri evening so I called to confirm this, I was told I had no booking and was just told to re-book. I should have known then that the service was going to be terrible. I then sent them an email to complain about this which I never received a reply too.
As I had already paid for my meal by buying a group on voucher I couldn't just leave it so called to re-book. Ths was a big mistake. The food was absolutely terrible, we had the 4course taster menu which meant we had everything on the menu . The starter was more of a cheap pub standard, the second course was terrible I couldn't even bear the smell of it. The main course had a bit of 4 dishes on the same plate it was tasteless and looked a mess on the plate. We didn't bother to stay for dessert as the service was extremely slow and to be fair we had had enough. The setting was the best thing about the whole thing but there was absolutely no atmosphere or ambience at all as the restaurant was completely silent with no music whatsoever. I will never ever visit this place again I'm actually surprised its still open.