“Must Visit! ”
Review of Happy Dough Lucky

Happy Dough Lucky
Ranked #7 of 1,410 Restaurants in Nottingham
Price range: US$5 - US$29
Description: It started with two fellas, a chef & a team of creative students. Our dream was simple, to open a new pop up concept, serving proper pizzas and all things sweet. Our journey began with a backpack, a camera and a notepad. After 17 weeks, 5700 miles and 6 stones heavier we were ready to return to Nottingham & share our secrets. Around for only 12 weeks, you'll have to be quick to catch us...
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Fantastic food! Really enjoyed the food and experience. Great atmosphere and the staff are so friendly. I would highly recommend. Beautifully fresh ingredients.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Happy Dough Lucky is a pop-pup pizza parlour situated in the Lacehouse opposite Annie’s Burger Shack in the Lace Market area of Nottingham. We arrived at about 12:30 on a Saturday and were the first customers closely followed by a couple of women and then later a couple of men. Considering how busy the city was that day (very, despite the cold weather) and how busy Annie’s was it was a disappointing turn out, but it’s no reflection on the food which was superior to my only real comparison – Peters pizza in Loughborough.

The decor was typical Nottingham trendy to appeal to millennials and get them thinking about how cool it would be to travel around Italy eating local dishes. They had industrial styled toilets with rusty corrugated iron on the wall and a sink that conjured up images of a Victorian work house (I’m not sure why it just felt rather oppressive).

The restaurant was very warm inside and smelt slightly of chip fat until our garlic dough balls started cooking and then we got the nice smell of fresh dough cooking. Rather in conflict with the Italian/travel themed decor was the music which was a mix of Motown, James Brown, Stevie Wonder and various old funk soul tracks. But we weren’t there for the music anyway.

As Meghan Trainor might say, you know it’s all about the pizza base and at Happy Dough Lucky they are excellent – crispy on the edges and chewy and flavoursome toward the centre like a classic Neapolitan pizza should be. I am assuming they use the Caputo branded soft wheat flour for their dough since there were bags stacked near the kitchen area.

I ordered the Lacehouse lager which was a nice light lager that went down smoothly during the meal. Siggy was driving so she stuck to Diet Coke especially when she tried to order a coffee and the quietly spoken chap serving us (and making the drinks, the food and working out the bill – a real ‘write the them tune, sing the the theme tune’ one man band) apologised that they didn’t have any milk. Or other staff apparently.

We forgave him as the fresh smell of basil wafted through the air con and our dough balls arrived. These were covered in hot buttery goodness and very nice to eat.I was able to watch the chap make up our fresh pizza and the cooking time (in a standard industrial looking pizza oven rather than a wood burning oven – it’s a pop-up remember) was about ten minutes max. The tomato sauce on the base had a nice basil and deep tomato flavour and the spicy but sweet chilli jam complimented it well.

If you’ve been paying attention, you’ll probably have already figured out what I ordered as dessert as I enjoyed my second pint of lager – it really was slipping down nicely despite my second pint tasting more hoppy than the first (my taste buds had woken up by then I guess).

The tiramisu pot was an original twist on the classic tiramisu – all the constituent parts deconstructed leaving the finger biscuits half soft with coffee flavour and half crunchy. It was nice, but serving it in hipster jam jar frustrated rather than augmented the eating experience.

All in all, I’m very glad we decided to give Happy Dough Lucky a go rather than opting for the path of least resistance (i.e. Annie’s). The pizza is very authentic and blessed with a fairly decent amount of topping, but I imagine Pizza Express regulars might be disappointed by the pop-up’s limited menu and non-chain alternative ambience.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Great night. Excellent service, couldn't have done more for us. Friendly and professional, especially Louis.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Booked earlier in the week (book as it's not a large restaurant) popped into Nottm for shopping then finished off with a bite to eat at HDL

Can't recommend the food enough.
Chips soft centre with a crispy outside.
Dough balls seemed huge.

Pizzas..
I had the vegetarian (I'm not a veggie though). I love goats cheese and caramelized onion.. with the apple purée was the deal clenched for me.... Highly recommend (it's pizza No.10)
I shared 50/50 with my wife who had the No.8 pizza which was ham and spicy sausage paste!!
All had delicious mozzarella on them.

take note... Nothing on the pizza was greasy like some cheaper pizzas you can get!!

I love the had made pizza bases that are allowed to 'stand' for 48hrs.

Ended with the tiramisu which we shared .. two spoons ;)

On the whole... a really great night . Deffo go again.

It's a relaxing no frills bar/restaurant... great staff welcoming you and on hand to assist with menu choices.
What's nice is it's not a huge menu so you're not overwhelmed.

Reviewed 24 October 2018

Could not leave a review for this restaurant fast enough call me the pizza is really unlike anything I've ever hi, This service is very friendly and fun peace. Absolutely give it a try, so good! Pizzas are numbered not named, and we got #2 and #5.

Date of visit: October 2018