“Excellent host, fine accommodations”

The Yellow House Bed and Breakfast
The Yellow House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 42 Nottingham B&B and Inns
Dartmouth, Canada
“Excellent host, fine accommodations”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Our stay at “The Yellow House” Bed & Breakfast was excellent. Comfortable accommodations, excellent breakfast, first class hospitality from our host Suzanne Prew-Smith. A great contribution to our UK vacation.

Clyde & Cynthia Arnold Dartmouth Nova Scotia, Canada

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
josephineNottingham, Owner at The Yellow House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Thank you for the compliments, I look forward to seeing you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2010

I booked this BB over the phone as family were visiting for a Birthday party and it was conveniently located. I hand delivered the deposit on the day I booked (50% of the costs so not insubstantial). When I looked at my email the next day terms the conditions had been added which said there was no access after 12pm. I asked if my brother and his wife could have a key but was told in a rather unfriendly way this was an absolute deadline. At that point I said that the accommodation was unsuitable and I would not proceed with the booking. However within a day the cheque had been cashed. The T&Cs are a confusing mixture of standard terms saying that if you cancel within a certain time you can have a full refund and her her additional terms which says no refund. Despite still having 3 weeks to let the room she refused to return my deposit. Only when I said I was a local constituent, (she is a local councillor) did she relete and return only half the deposit. I felt completely ripped off and would not advise anyone to use this B&B. I have also reported her to Trading Standards.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank GCOOKE_10
josephineNottingham, Owner at The Yellow House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
I believe the law states that if you read the terms and conditions and then book; then you are bound by the terms and conditions as it is a legal contract. As I am a very small B&B, you have to walk right through my house to get to the loft room, so I have put it the t&c's that the door will be locked at midnight. This rule only affects maybe 5 - 10 % of people, and is quite helpful to me. Complaining about a rule after the fact, doesnot appear to me to be very fair.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2010

We received an unfriendly "welcome" on arrival and unfortunately the host only began to thaw on departure! Although the room was clean and comfortable our stay was marred since we weren't treated as adults and were made to feel untrustworthy. In particular we were not trusted with keys to access the house and our room, had to confirm leaving and returning times and when we did manage to wangle a key the host put the house alarm on after we had left to deter us from arriving back earlier than her! Despite not objecting to the presence of a dog we do draw the line at a dog jumping around our sausages and bacon at breakfast.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Amelie186220
The advertising states quite definitely that there is a dog. The ground floor is open plan and it is therefore a situation where the dog is around; but not at the table! so the remarks about the dog are highly exaggerated.
The key is given out if the guests are coming or going when I am out of the house, it just doesn't seem necessary if I am in the house.