“Perfect stay for a tired business traveler”

Holiday Inn Nottingham
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
Ohio
“Perfect stay for a tired business traveler”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

The HI Nottingham was perfect for what I needed. The room was large, clean and well appointed. It was relatively modern, but still in synch with the northern Englad landscape. Parking was free, but the internet and breakfast were not. Dinner was top notch and the caramel sticky pudding was to die for.

The bed was good sized for one and was moderately comfortable for one night. Two or three it may have been uncomfortable. The room even had an iron and ironing board. (I really appreciate being able ti iron my dress shirts) Service was ok, the restaurant crew was great, the front desk did not seem to excited by my existence, but my heart will go on.

Location was good, heating/cooling was ok. It was a little slow to warm up, but it got there. Overall it was a perfect stay for a tired business traveler. I would gladly stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Greek first
Barnsley, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Last year it was good and this year it got even better.

The staff were much more helpful and friendly even though they were good last time.

For the first time we dined for our evening meal in the restaurant and it was splendid. A few weeks ago we ate at a top Paris restaurant. For 1/3 the price this food was better. We did the £16.95 + wine set menu and were well impressed.

The Hotel was clean and efficient with a hearty breakfast buffet. The rooms were good but this time the bed didn't seem that comfortable - it was a little on the small side from what we normally get in Holiday Inns.

It's a very pleasant 20 minute walk along the canal to the City Centre.

Room Tip: It's worth having and executive room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed here for the 3rd time as visiting Nottingham for the annual Ice Hockey Playoff weekend. It's a good location being about 10-15 minute walk to the city centre but the trade-off is free parking, which you don't get in the central ones.
It's fairly usual HI fare but helpful/pleasant staff, a clean building throughout. The food is good and breakfast especially. It is probably the hottest HI I've ever stayed in and they don't have air-con working in April so the hot bedroom is cooled only by leaving the window open - that is my biggest gripe. However, if you are after a base for Nottingham and surrounding areas this is a very good choice. Close by (2 minutes) are at least 2 bars and restaurants so it's easy to pop out in the evening if you want something different. Finally, if you are travelling by train it's only about 15 minute walk or 3 minute taxi ride form the station.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed here for business recently and was booked into one of the superior/exec rooms. The room had plenty of space, and the bed was bigger than a king-size and very comfy - with different pillows available (soft, firm etc) which I thought was a good touch. Plenty of storage space (if you need it for longer stays) and well stocked tea/coffee tray, together with a couple of small complimentry bottles of water in the fridge. Rooms have internet access available at a charge - can't comment on the speed/reliability as I didn't use it and a lockable safe for valuables. A big plus for me is the TV in the room offered SkySports channels as standard; a major bonus for me as I'm following the cricket! The room has air-conditioning, with easy controls, but I personally turn them off overnight as I'm a light sleeper and find the noise a bit intrusive. With regards to sleep, I had one of the best nights sleep I've had in a while. The hotel location is on the Castle Marina retail area, so not on a major road and the rooms are obviously well insulated from outside noise as I didn't hear a thing. I was on the B&B tariff and opted to have a tray bought up to my room (a very modest charge of £2.50 - well worth it in my book) - varied options for breakfast so would be surprised if there wasn't something to suit everyone. Bathroom facilities were clean and well stocked and the water pressure for the shower good (used in the morning) and plenty of hot water.
There's plenty of on-site parking at the hotel and the check-in/out process is smooth and the reception staff are efficient and friendly.

Would definitely use this hotel for any future business or social stays in Nottingham

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sunny636
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here twice for business in the last 7 days. I'm a loyal IHG Priority Club member so tend to default to Holiday Inn / Crowne Plaza / Holiday Inn Express to get my loyalty points, (where these hotels are convenient to my plans). Holiday Inn has had a recent brand 'refresh' but this is a signage and marketing overhaul so some of this brand's hotel rooms are looking rather dated.
The Nottingham HI falls into this category. The rooms are clean and comfortable but so look rather 1980s compared to their Holiday Inn Express and Crowne Plaza counterparts.
The location is edge of city centre retail park and not very attractive, unless you want a view of the empty car parks around a Sainsburys and Macdonalds. It is a 5 minute taxi ride from the railway station but not a very attractive walk.
Service was excellent on both visits and a decent range of choice for breakfast & onsite free parking sets the HI apart from the nearby Hol Inn Express. The building is well maintained and was very clean in the areas I used.
I would stay again as it is easily accessible from the nearby A52 and has a good sized free car park but this is just a clean and comfy place to crash, nothing more.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Stayed for one night. We arrived early and asked on off chance if we could check in, receptionist was very pleasant and we got straight into our room. Room was very comfy and larger than that in the hotel we usually stay at, decor was cosy, only gripe, they are very stingey with the tea/coffee in the room, but reception had no problem with supplying more when we asked - just would have preferred not to have to ask! Like others have commented room was very hot and air con controls were ineffective.
Bar and restaurant were very smart and we had a greatt meal in the evening, tasty and very nicely presented, though the service was a little rushed, and why do they insist on squashing the few people in the restaurant into a small corner so you're all on top of each other!
Hotel is in an ideal position to walk into the city along the canal, and being lucky with the weather we enjoyed a lunchtime meal and drink by the water in a local restaurant.
Would definitely stay again

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

The hotel itself is in a good position. Next to Macdonadls, good for breakfast. Opposite Sainsburys, useful if you forget anything or need petrol. Bus stops are located outside the hotel to give easy access in and out of the city. It is also an added bonus that parking is free. While the hotel is situated on a main road. There is little noise to be heard from inside the hotel rooms. Good soundproofed windows. Everything in the hotel was clean and well maintained to all be found in working order. The bed was ok, a bit on the small side though compared with similar hotels of this rating. It would be nice to have a mini fridge and safe in the room as well, which again can be found at similar class hotels. All corridor and room floors are carpeted so this reduces the noise of other guests. Be advised they ask for your bank card when you check in to put a hold of £25 a night for extras! I think this is a bit on the excessive side, especially if you stay a few nights and I am still waiting for this money to be released back into my account. Surly it would be better to open a tab system by swiping your card and then pay on check out for extras you have actually had. My main complaint, and this is a big one for me. The room temperature is so hot it’s difficult to breath in the room. After reading a sign on the wall it advised they like you to be “nice and cosy” in the winter so they turn the air con off and the radiators up. We opened the window as far as it would go, not very due to safety latches, and left it open for the duration of our stay. We turned the radiator to what we thought was off. However, after spending the first night sweltering we asked at reception if it was possible to control the air con in each individual room. The receptionist advised that the radiator has to be turned to the symbol setting to actually activate the air con unit. She also offered for a fan to be taken to our room. We turned the radiator to the symbol setting, still no joy with the air con, so resorted to the medium sized desk fan. This did help, but it was still too hot. It is a shame that they can’t address this issue as I will not book here again because of it and will try the Premier Inn next door when I am in Nottingham again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank non-stop-orb
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear non-stop-orb,

I want to thank you for pointing out what you enjoyed about
our property. I am concerned about the AC unit. I do hope that
decide to stay with us again and if you are having issues with
the AC we can send maintenance to
your room to get it fixed right away.

Katie J