“Good nights sleep”

Holiday Inn Nottingham
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My family stayed for one night as we had a university interview. Good location to the university just a five minute drive and a short drive to the town centre. Hotel room, beds comfy, carpet a bit grubby, bath plug very black ( for some reason ) , good sized t.v., iron, ironing board and hair dryer so well catered for. The evening menu very good although there are various pizza places over the road from the hotel. Breakfast was a buffet style with a hot and cold variety, a little disappointed as there was only flora margarine for your toast and no butter ! theirs nothing nicer than butter on hot toast in the morning ( in my opinion ) if your not into a full English.

Also, the hotel offers free wifi but this is only available in the lobby area and not in your room, disappointing. Staff helpful and friendly. Room service fast and efficient.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear D W,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your recent experience. I’m glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you felt well looked after by the team. I have passed you comments on to the relevant departments and our food and beverage manager will be investigating why there was no butter available during breakfast as real butter is included in our current breakfast offering.
Hopefully we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed here last year and was noisy then but the service was good and they placed me in a quieter room.

This time placed by the lift with noise from the lift mechanism all through the night plus the party revellers who like to run u and down the corridor at 3.40 am! it appears that concierge do not request quiet on return from the clubs.

Breakfast was from 8.00 Saturday and Sunday which does not suit if you are working, was a offered a breakfast bag and agree for it to be delivered Saturday 07.30 - never arrived reported to reception on way out to find they had it - pointless!

Apart from the restaurant the staff were not as friendly this time as last and almost rude at times.

No recognition hardly for IHG membership and had to request internet access. Not normal for IHG group hotels.

Room was booked as double and two 2ft singles make a 3/4 bed in my book glad i was alone and wife did not join me! there was no room.

Not recommended for a weekend unless partying with the youth who have no consideration for others!

little and disturbed sleep made me grumpy!

Room Tip: rooms ending in 01, 02, 03, 05 &15 on each floor are by the lift and can be noisy from the lift...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Rob H,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you encountered during your recent stay. We have a system in place to reduce the noise caused by guests returning from a night out. We do proactively try to reduce the noise levels during the night, however unfortunately some guest do not always respect our policy. Following your feedback we are amending our breakfast opening times to 7.30am – 10.30am at weekends which we hope will be more convenient for guests who working at weekends.
I must say that I am surprised that you found some of the team to be not as friendly as your previous visit, customer service is very important to me and is something that we invest in regularly. I will certainly address this issue with the relevant departments. I appreciate that we cannot make up for the situations you encountered at the Holiday Inn Nottingham, however, I truly hope that our response will go some way to restore your faith in the hotel as a whole.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and hope to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

My wife & I stayed at the Holiday Inn Castle Marina for the 3rd time recently to come & watch the incredible Del Amitri in concert. We arrived in the early afternoon & were processed in a somewhat laboured fashion, by a rather impassive middle aged female receptionist (hence only the 4 star rating)! We had also brought 4 guests with us on this occasion, all of which commented & complimented highly on their temporary surrounds. On arriving in our room, as pre-booked, we found a well appointed twin double which was lovely & warm room with a welcoming decor. We were only in our rooms for a few minutes as we had planned an afternoon in Nottingham city centre for few pre-gig refreshments! The bad weather did nothing to dampen our spirits & on returning to the hotel for a quick freshening up before our main event, our pre-order taxi was awaiting us. On our return in the evening (23:30) we found the hotel bar desserted which allowed us to enjoy a nightcap or 3 as we discussed what was possibly the best show that Del Amitri could have offered us, amazing! The next morning, after a broken nights sleep due to some late revellers at 05:30, we went down for breakfast. A lovely assortment of cereals, fruits, yoghurts, juices, etc. followed by a self service full english, just what the doctor ordered & the icing on what had been an extremely satisfying cake! My wife did get a bit star struck at breakfast when the magician Paul Daniels & his wife Debbie appeared for breakfast. They had obviously stayed at the hotel on that evening en-route to Paul's next venue as part of his farewell tour! Check out was swift & painless & we went on our merry way knowing that the Holiday Inn Castle Marina Nottingham WILL be guesting us again whenever we return to the wonderful city of Nottingham in the future! Thanks again!

Room Tip: If you want some extra bed space, book a twin double, well worth it!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear EdzLewis34,

I’m glad you and your wife had an enjoyable time at the concert and thank you for writing such a detailed and complimentary review. We really focus on developing our team and providing them with the right tools to deliver great service and I’m really happy this has come across during your recent stay. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to all of the staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed at Holiday Inn Nottingham castle marina a couple of night on business. Check in and check out was swift and professional. Room was the standard holiday inn affair, with the added bonus of some wonderful thick blackout curtains.

Service was polite.

Wifi is at an extra cost in the room, which I would have expected to be included in a hotel of this type. I didn't need to use it as I was on a 3g package.

There is free wifi in the small lobby (reception area) but it the signal was poor.

Breakfast was sufficient (if not a little steep for the choice). I found the greasy breakfast side of the breakfast room a bit too greasy for my liking, but the continental breakfast at the far end was very nice. I had to ask for my coffee twice the first day but it was very quick after that. I found the breakfast staff to be very efficient and flexible, with the option for a 'takeaway' continental breakfast which was perfect for me on the day of departure.

The hotel helps with organising taxis to the nearby conference centre (about £8-£12 each way depending on traffic) and train station.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear lia-p,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay. I’m glad you found check-in and check-out efficient and professionally. We’ve spent a lot of time focusing on guest experience and I’m glad we are starting to see the results. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the poor WiFi signal in the reception lobby, we have recently upgraded our internet system and on the whole we have seen a great improvement, I will certainly contact our internet supplier and inform them of your recent experience. I’m really happy you felt well looked after and ultimately had an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We only stayed one night but our impressions were very favourable room was really nice, the staff very helpful and courteous,we had a great breakfast with plenty of choices for all tastes the morning waiting staff made us very welcome.We will definately use this for future concert nights out.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Clive T,

Thank you for your review. I’m really happy you felt well looked after and ultimately had an enjoyable stay with us. We find it very comforting and rewarding to receive such great feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed one night on business, the hotel is on an leisure estate and I believe about 1 1/2 miles from the city centre.

There are quite a few places close by to eat.

The hotel appears dated with rooms having light carpet and white walls - not the best in high turnover hotels.

Staff were good and breakfast was also good.

Downside they closed the bar at midnight no late drink for residents.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear KevinLondon,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. We endeavour to act on all the feedback we receive and it’s through comments such as yours that helps us to achieve and maintain high standards. Thank you for taking the time to communicate your recent experience and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Used this hotel several times for a simple stopover and night out with family in City Centre.Previous visits have been ok but last visit (mid Jan 2014) was well below par.
Despite booking and paying in full online a week before (and commiting a no refund full payment) we still stood for 20mins at check-in whilst employee bumbled about on a computer,made us fill in forms,sign cards,produce credit card etc etc (why when all registered and paid online ?).Eventually found us a room on top floor (right next to lift).
Tv in room wouldn't work via remote-eventually managed to turn it on via a button on side-but couldn't change channels so gave up.Lamps (2) wouldn't work either,despite various combinations of on/off switching.Assorted stains on carpets.Plug mechanism in sink didn't function properly ,although these have been this way on previous visit.Curtains hanging off rail...need I go on.Only in the room 1 hour before going out for evening,then back-sleep-get up and gone so didn't have time or inclination to report faults...these rooms are just getting tired and worn...for a major chain it's getting pretty poor....we only go there once every few months but in future,I think we will go somewhere else....

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boo2agoose2014
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear boo2agoose2014,

Thank you for your feedback. It’s a shame you were unable to bring the above issues to our attention during your stay as we would have done everything possible to resolve the problems. We always strive to deliver the best possible customer experience however it’s obvious that we fell short on this occasion. Please accept my sincerest apologies and I can assure you that I’ll be discussing your feedback with the team. I would really like to discuss your recent visit further and I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me on 0115 993 5000. Hopefully speak to you soon.