“Excellent service, comfortable hotel”

Holiday Inn Nottingham
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
Lincolnshire
“Excellent service, comfortable hotel”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed here for one night ahead of working in the city the next day.

The hotel is situated in the Marina area, along with a number of chain restaurants, other hotels, and a supermarket. From the outside, it had all the hallmarks of an office building. However, once inside, the lobby soon disabused one of that opinion, being the usual, plush, Holiday Inn fare.

Check in was efficient and prompt, and I was soon in my room. The room was large and was well-equipped, albeit not as recently refurbished as some Holiday Inns in which I've previously stayed.

The lift was a little on the slow side; at times, it would have been quicker to catch a lift from a diseased snail. However, it did it's job, eventually. The air-con in my room also wasn't working, insofar as the room didn't cool down, a fact made clear upon returning to the lobby where the air-con was working well.

I would be more than happy to return, if staying in Nottingham again. Indeed, had it not been fully booked, I would have booked in for the following week had it not been fully booked. Service from every member of staff was exemplary.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear BigWoo,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay. We all take great pride in delivering excellent service and creating a home from home experience and I’m really pleased that this has come across during your recent visit. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the relevant departments. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the air-conditioning issue you encountered, our maintenance department has been informed and I’m glad that this didn’t detract from an overall enjoyable stay.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Paul Bentham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We were put up here for two nights whilst we had to attend clinics for two days at Nottingham City hospital. All the staff were lovely & attentive. The rooms were immaculately clean & the soap had a lovely scent. Breakfast on both mornings were really well cooked & tasty. We sat in a relaxed atmosphere, waiting staff were all friendly & carried out their duties efficiently. Nothing was too much trouble, will certainly look to stay here again when we next have to visit.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Joy F,

Thank you for your kind comments. We have recently upgraded our breakfast buffet offering and I’m pleased to hear such encouraging feedback. We work tirelessly to ensure that we deliver the best customer experience as possible and it is very rewarding to read your comments. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to all of the team. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed one night with my wife and ten year old son in a double room. Room was very clean, modern, and comfortable. But what made this Holiday Inn stand out was the service. It was truly above and beyond. The manager on duty, a young lady named Tracy, helped our family with a laundry issue. Laundry service was offered on the weekdays, but we had just missed it and as we had been traveling for days and would not see a washing machine for another week, desperately needed it. Tracy immediately found a solution and took care of us. But it wasn't just the laundry issue; she offered advice for anything we needed. I felt taken care at a level far exceeding the price of this hotel. It was our best experience of any hotel of our two week sojourn through England.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Charles H
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Charles H,

Thank you for your fantastic review. It gives me great pleasure to read your comments and I will certainly be passing on your praise to Tracy as I’m sure she’ll be over the moon with your feedback. We’ve spent a lot of time over the past few months focusing on customer experience and I’m glad you felt well looked after by the team. Hopefully we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

GY
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The whole of the hotel, from reception area to the room, was in fantastic condition very clean, tidy, and comfortable. The bed I slept in was excellent, with a selection of pillows to choose from. The bathroom was clean and modern, and the shower very powerful!! The only complaint I had about the room (a very minor one) was the poor TV reception when watching Sky Sports, although this wasn't to much of a problem as I only watched it briefly during my stay. Tea and coffee making facilities were adequate. Breakfast in the morning was very good, although the sausages had maybe been out on the hotplate to long. My one major gripe was the confusing payment method. The total cost of the stay for my father in law and I was £74. For some reason £99 left my account and the difference was only sorted out 3 days later. This is something which Holiday Inn have still not explained to me, and something I was not told would happen at the time of paying.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GYsps
Dear GYsps,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay. I’m pleased you found the hotel to be clean and in good condition. I must say that I find reviews such as yours very useful as they enable me to target specific areas for improvement and I will certainly be discussing your comments with the relevant departments. Please accept my apologies for the confusion regarding payment. For our current check-in procedure we require a pre-authorisation of a credit/debit card to cover the amount for the accommodation charge. If a guest wishes to charge extras back to their room account we also require an additional £25.00 pre-authorisation. Once a pre-authorisation is created the bank will hold the amount which will consequently show as a deduction on your bank statement even though the money hasn’t physically left your bank. When the guest checks out the pre authorisation code is used to finalise the actual payment required by the hotel. In your father in laws case this would have been £74.00 as no extras were purchased but a pre-authorisation of £99.00 was taken on check-in. The left over £25.00 will then be released by your bank within 7 working days which also show on your statement. The pre-authorisation process is currently used by the majority of large hotel chains however I sincerely apologise that this wasn’t fully explained to you at check-in.
I’m glad your overall experience was a pleasant one and we all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Pros:
- Good value for price.
- There is a Sainsbury's next to the hotel.

Cons:
- Not situated in the city centre, it is a good distance from downtown.
- Staff is helpful, but not as friendly as I would expect.

I would recommend the Holiday Inn Express City Centre instead. It is cheaper and better located.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Max L,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay. As you have mentioned we are roughly 15 minutes walk from the city centre and although it is a fairly pleasant walk down the canal I appreciate it may not be a suitable distance for all of our guests. We have negotiated a discounted taxi rate with a local taxi company where you can expect to pay approximately £5.00 to the city centre which our reception team would be more than happy to coordinate. I must say that I am concerned to read that you felt the team could have been friendlier as this is an area we really focus on. I will certainly be discussing you feedback with the head of departments.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a night with family in interconnecting rooms - could maybe have squeezed into one room as both had 2 double beds, but we liked the extra space. First impressions of reception, bar and restaurant very good, and this was confirmed during our stay. Staff very helpful and friendly. Walk to city very easy along canal side footpath. Would have liked to have a beer in the garden but unfortunately not enough time :-(.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Glen W
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Glen W,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We all take great pride in delivering excellent service and I’m really pleased that this has come across during your recent visit. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the relevant departments. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Visited from 8th May to 11th May. The staff were so lovely and friendly very accommodating too. Good clean rooms, wonderful breakfast and evening meal. We were in a large party and nothing was too much trouble for them. Would love to visit again next year!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FromSouthampton715
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear FromSouthampton,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience following your recent stay. As previously mentioned the team really enjoyed looking after your group and we all look forward to welcoming you back again next year. I will be certain to pass your feedback onto the team.