“Great Brekky”

Holiday Inn Nottingham
Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed 29 December 2008

We were visiting a friend who lives in Nottingham and he suggested this place as he'd stayed there. it was a nice hotel, our first experience with a Holiday Inn and found it very nice. The breakfast was fantastic. We ordered from the pillow menu and they were brought up while we were away along with some extra towels. The staff were all very nice and even joined us to their priority club while we were there. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank becbartel

Reviewed 18 November 2008

We stayed in a double room in the Holiday Inn on 13th November 08 and we were satisfied with our stay. The hotel is situated about a 10 minute drive away from the city centre and was easy to find. There is free parking at this hotel which is a bonus as a lot of hotels seem to charge for parking these days. The hotel is well furbished and comfortable with all the usual: tv, hairdryer, iron and ironing board, tea and coffee facilities, minibar etc. Our room looked recently decorated with clean new looking carpets. As I am a fussy bugger I looked in the corners to see what dirt had been left behind, but could not spot much at all! The en-suite was a slight let down compared to the room. Although modern and mostly clean, the grout in the tiles had seen better days which made it look very slightly shabby, although not bad enough to request a room change.
The breakfast was pretty good compared to other chain hotels, a buffet sytle engish breakfast, a cold meat selection, fresh fruit such as melon slices etc, toast and croissants and of course tea, coffee or fruit juice. All hotel staff seemed friendly and attentive.
All in all, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Sue11
Reviewed 19 October 2008

Paid £68 for 2 people for B&B for a Saturday night and booked direct through the main HI website. All in all a positive stay, many of the positives have already been mentioned in previous reviews. The hotel is well located, a short walk away from the centre of Nottingham. It is clean and the rooms are in quite good nick. Breakfast was superb - food and location for breakfast was very nice. The bar was a nice place to have a quick drink before finding out more about Nottinghams night life - the lady behind the bar very helpful also. I requested a quiet room before visiting (the front of the hotel gets a bit of passing traffic) & that request was followed. We were also allowed to check-in at 1pm, an hour before 'official' check in time which was welcomed. Free and plentiful car parking as well. Comfy bed and rooms not noisy.

Any negatives - well not really. One minor criticism was that reception could have been a bit more 'with it' when I first got there - a little too interested in her mobile phone initially, though once prompted for information (like when / where breakfast was) she soon got back into her role and was helpful.

All in all, a good hotel and a decent value night.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mister.c.
Reviewed 7 October 2008

Most of the reviews here sum the hotel up. I stayed here for work for a fortnight. It has no character really, but does the job of a business hotel really quite well. Food is good, service is friendly, not too expensive. I have stayed in so much worse. One gripe, and it applies to many of the chain hotels - overpriced wi-fi or internet connection. Why do they do this? Some of the supposedly more downmarket hotels offer free internet. The Hilton on the other hand charges £15 for internet access. What a rip-off! This hotel is somewhere in between that and free _ I think about £5 per 24 hour period if I remember correctly.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank CFC1899
Reviewed 19 September 2008

The bar, the restuarant, the service and staff are surprisingly good however avoid room 019 like to plague. It's a handicap room and unless you need it the floor in the bathroom has brown and red spots in the grout (looks like blood and feces remains). There are cracked tiles and the drain in that shower doesn't work well so the bathroom basically has a 1-2" of water on the floor when you finish the shower.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank LuvDaSun222
Reviewed 13 September 2008

Stayed here for a midweek business trip, the hotel seemed full of other business travellers like me. The hotel is either new or has been recently refurbished with air conditioning in each room although I found mine to be too noisy. Rooms are of a good size, with high quality fixtures and fittings. Levels of service from the staff I found to be particularly high which was excellent and much appreciated. There is car parking although not masses, not sure what you do if all the spaces have gone. I arrived just after 5 pm and there was only a couple of spaces left.

Things that were less good were the quality of food, universally of the soggy variety and the room service menu did not spoil you for choice. Not sure if the location of the hotel is the best it seemed to be on a retail park outside of the city centre, but I was in the car and on business I wasn't too interested in this aspect.

Overall, great hotel that I can recommend.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 11 September 2008

My husband & I (sounds like a wedding speech!!) stayed at this hotel for the 2nd time the weekend of Sept 5th to 7th 2008. I had no hesitation in booking again, as we had been more than happy with our previous stay. I was particularly struck with how friendly & upbeat the staff were. One lady had been working in the bar on Saturday night & was still raring to go at breakfast on Sunday!
We didn't really have any complaints, although I think the lifts could do with some oil!! Some of the breakfast ingredients weren't quite up to scratch e.g the bacon was pretty unappetising & on the first day, the hash browns were soggy. Generally, though, the breakfast was great. The bar prices were a bit steep but that's the case in a lot of hotels, I find.
When we first entered our room, we noticed that the counterpane had some dodgy stains, but after I left a note for the cleaner that was rectified. Apart from that, the room was immaculate.
I agree with other reviewers that WIFI access should be free. It can't cost the hotel very much!
We are already planning to book a 2 night stay near to Christmas & would definitely recommend this hotel. Any special deals coming up?!!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple