“Really comfy bed”

Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Room Tip: The room was small and maybe a bit small for two people sharing, but for an overnight stay, I thorou...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels
1  Thank Samantha A
Linforth, Manager at Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

There are newer reviews for Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel in May 2014 and the experience fell well short of my expectations. Overall I think the property is tired, dated and in need of renovation. The central city location might suit some people but with the traffic system in the city, this hotel is hard to access by car, and there are very noisy pubs and nightclubs close to the hotel. That noise died down around 5am on weekends! On the Saturday night the noise was so bad I thought my window was open and when I checked I found a pair of ear plugs strategically placed on the window sill - how thoughtful! That morning the stairs were closed off because someone had vomited down the staircase. So unless you are in for a raging time and plan on being out all night, I would avoid this hotel.

2  Thank Jamie T

Dear Guest,

Thank you for finding the time to write your review.

The hotel has recently had a refurbishment, where it underwent the transformation from The George Hotel to the Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel.

We advertise upon all of our websites that we have a very central location, right within the heart of Nottingham Centre, which is famous for its weekend nightlife. External noise can occasionally be experienced but we have taken every precaution possible to ensure as little noise possible is experienced.

We hope we can welcome you to the Mercure Hotel within the near future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I'll get the complaint out of the way first; I pre-booked through booking.com and pre-paid for two rooms but it was room only no breakfast. The second room was for 72 year old mother who arrived early than me for breakfast. She gave her room number and name and was told that she hadn't paid for breakfast and even after offering to pay there and then, cash or card, was told she couldn't and in front of everyone else was refused and had to leave the dining room. Highly embarrasing. I then arrived with her, was told the same and explained that my credit card details were taken when checking in and told them take payment on that and I would settle on checking out. I was then accosted by a lady who then started waving a spreadsheet at me to prove that I hadn't pre-paid for breakfast as if this justified the appaling treatment of my Mother. So instead of an apology I received another telling off for having the temerity of having breakfast at her hotel. and not understanding their strange payment arrangements. Customer service it wasn't and a career in something without dealing with customers would suit the two ladies much better.
The hotel itself was very nice and, the breakfast was ok, the items that hadn't run out that is. The rooms were clean and pleasant. I won't be going back; upsetting me is one thing but upsetting my 72 year old mother is something else again.

3  Thank Steve D

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I was disappointed to read that your stay at Mercure Nottingham did not meet your expectations.
I would like to apologise form the abruptness of the breakfast staff, I will be sure to bring this up with the breakfast supervisor.

We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel again shortly.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Think enough has been said about this hotel having the smallest double rooms ever but one more thing - really the city pads are single rooms and that's that! Usually stay at a nearby budget hotel but decided on this one because it was also a birthday treat. Room was so very dusty, shower door kept falling off, view from the window some sort of metal box / outlet pipe. Not what you would expect from 4 star. Also had to ask for room to be made up after two in the afternoon. Serving trays for hot food at breakfast move when you try to lift the lid so be careful. The coffee was so weak we had to take the two little sachets of Nescafé from our rooms to add it to the cup. All in all, far too expensive a hotel for what you get. Better off with the budget hotels nearby who don't pretend to be anything else. One positive was the bar staff who seemed friendly and willing to help.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sweetcheeksleicester

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your review.

The hotel has a variety of different room categories ranging from our City Pads to our Suites, each of which is complemented by our pricing strategy. We try to be as transparent as possible when advertising our City Pads as we are aware some individuals find them on the small side, this is why we provided the sizes of our rooms on all of our websites.

Our housekeeping staff work from 8am till 5pm and will clean the room in detail which is why sometimes they can arrive to the room within the late afternoon to re-service. There can also be delay in servicing if there is a ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on the door.

I will take all of your comments into account as Mercure strives to improve their standards.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

The Mercure is right in the heart of Nottingham, which can make it a little noisy at night because of the surrounding pubs and clubs but it makes it a great location for seeing the city. The hotel goes to great lengths to keep the noise out with good triple glazing, and even some ear plugs in the room just in case ( we didn't need them) the hotel itself is clean, well presented and the rooms are of a high standard with great facilities. The staff are friendly and efficient. No car park on sight, but they have a rate at a nearby council car park which is literally a few minutes walk. Great breakfast as per usual Mercure standards. If you are visiting Nottingham then I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrC1973
Linforth, Manager at Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending the time writing your review. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay here with us at Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel.

I will pass your kind regards over to our hardworking and dedicated staff, who will always go that extra mile to ensure your stay is as memorable as possible.

We hope to welcome you to the hotel again shortly, for another enjoyable visit.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We visited Nottingham to attend the Wrestling at the Arena. The hotel was in the perfect location. Whilst our stay was only one night, we found the room to be spacious and clean. I think we had a suite as we had two rooms, two TV's, complimentary drinks and the huge bathroom. It was a super stay. thank you Mercure!

Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels
2  Thank Junedavis

Dear Guest,

Thank you for finding the time to write your review. I was pleased to read you had such a super stay here with us at Mercure Nottingham City Centre.

I was especially glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our suites. These are the most luxurious of our room types and I was happy to read that the facilities were to your liking.

We hope to welcome you to the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Had some rooms booked the weekend of my birthday.. and I ended up staying in a pretty big room, It had a story behind it I think cant remember its name, But overall, it was Spacious, clean and the service was great. I loved it, right in the city center and close to all the great bars and restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kay N

Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending the time writing your review. I was delighted to read you had such a wonderful stay here with us at Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel.

We hope that we can welcome you to the hotel again shortly for another welcoming stay.