“Fine with comfortable beds”

Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Got a shock to see 2 sets of earplugs by the bed, but maybe a Sunday night would be quieter?
It was, just fine.
Reception staff friendly and nice.
Centrally located for our requirements. We did not have the breakfast £20 for both, not for the price as much as we didn't want another buffet having been eating them all week!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Linforth, Manager at Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending the time writing your review. I was glad to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay here with us at Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel.

The pricing and servings of our breakfasts is standard for all Mercure Hotels.

As we have such a centralised location, some external noise can be experienced. Although we have taken every precaution possible to prevent such noise, upon weekends, noise can be experienced.

We hope we can welcome you to the hotel again in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,126)

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Mercure at we were going to a gig at the Capital Arena. Location great, beds comfy and rooms clean and nicely decorated. Downside, the location is party central at the weekend so expect noise. I slept fine however our friends on the opposite side of the building did not (the club's kicked out at 5 am). It is an expensive hotel for what it is. Our room had some of the film still on the shower door from it being installed and yet the plastic seal was coming off.
It was just ok.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mrs_fk

Dear Guest,

Thank you for finding the time to write your review. I was glad to read that you had a pleasant stay with us at Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel.

We take pride in our central location and detail upon all of our websites that external noise can be experienced during the weekends due to Nottingham's vibrant nightlife.

We hope we can welcome you to the hotel again shortly.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The oldest hotel in Nottingham, right in the city centre, you'd expect the price to be exorbitant! It cost £129 for two of us for room and a magnificent breakfast. The staff were faultless in their courtesy, helpfulness and sense of humour! The room was generous in size and spotless, and the beds were very comfortable. We had a nightcap in the bar and, although it cost a little more than in a pub, they certainly didn't "rip us off"! I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys the finer things in life.
The hotel uses the Lace Market car park, just three minutes walk away. If you give reception your parking ticket within 10 minutes of collecting your car, thay stamp it and you get a reduction on your parking fee. It should have cost us £14 for 24 hours but, with the reduction, it was only £10.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank dollandarty
Linforth, Manager at Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending the time writing your review. I was delighted to read you had such a wonderful stay here with us at Mercure Nottingham.

We hope to welcome you to the hotel again shortly.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Room Tip: The room was small and maybe a bit small for two people sharing, but for an overnight stay, I thorou...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels
1  Thank Samantha A

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel in May 2014 and the experience fell well short of my expectations. Overall I think the property is tired, dated and in need of renovation. The central city location might suit some people but with the traffic system in the city, this hotel is hard to access by car, and there are very noisy pubs and nightclubs close to the hotel. That noise died down around 5am on weekends! On the Saturday night the noise was so bad I thought my window was open and when I checked I found a pair of ear plugs strategically placed on the window sill - how thoughtful! That morning the stairs were closed off because someone had vomited down the staircase. So unless you are in for a raging time and plan on being out all night, I would avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jamie T

Dear Guest,

Thank you for finding the time to write your review.

The hotel has recently had a refurbishment, where it underwent the transformation from The George Hotel to the Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel.

We advertise upon all of our websites that we have a very central location, right within the heart of Nottingham Centre, which is famous for its weekend nightlife. External noise can occasionally be experienced but we have taken every precaution possible to ensure as little noise possible is experienced.

We hope we can welcome you to the Mercure Hotel within the near future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I'll get the complaint out of the way first; I pre-booked through booking.com and pre-paid for two rooms but it was room only no breakfast. The second room was for 72 year old mother who arrived early than me for breakfast. She gave her room number and name and was told that she hadn't paid for breakfast and even after offering to pay there and then, cash or card, was told she couldn't and in front of everyone else was refused and had to leave the dining room. Highly embarrasing. I then arrived with her, was told the same and explained that my credit card details were taken when checking in and told them take payment on that and I would settle on checking out. I was then accosted by a lady who then started waving a spreadsheet at me to prove that I hadn't pre-paid for breakfast as if this justified the appaling treatment of my Mother. So instead of an apology I received another telling off for having the temerity of having breakfast at her hotel. and not understanding their strange payment arrangements. Customer service it wasn't and a career in something without dealing with customers would suit the two ladies much better.
The hotel itself was very nice and, the breakfast was ok, the items that hadn't run out that is. The rooms were clean and pleasant. I won't be going back; upsetting me is one thing but upsetting my 72 year old mother is something else again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Steve D

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I was disappointed to read that your stay at Mercure Nottingham did not meet your expectations.
I would like to apologise form the abruptness of the breakfast staff, I will be sure to bring this up with the breakfast supervisor.

We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel again shortly.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Think enough has been said about this hotel having the smallest double rooms ever but one more thing - really the city pads are single rooms and that's that! Usually stay at a nearby budget hotel but decided on this one because it was also a birthday treat. Room was so very dusty, shower door kept falling off, view from the window some sort of metal box / outlet pipe. Not what you would expect from 4 star. Also had to ask for room to be made up after two in the afternoon. Serving trays for hot food at breakfast move when you try to lift the lid so be careful. The coffee was so weak we had to take the two little sachets of Nescafé from our rooms to add it to the cup. All in all, far too expensive a hotel for what you get. Better off with the budget hotels nearby who don't pretend to be anything else. One positive was the bar staff who seemed friendly and willing to help.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sweetcheeksleicester

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your review.

The hotel has a variety of different room categories ranging from our City Pads to our Suites, each of which is complemented by our pricing strategy. We try to be as transparent as possible when advertising our City Pads as we are aware some individuals find them on the small side, this is why we provided the sizes of our rooms on all of our websites.

Our housekeeping staff work from 8am till 5pm and will clean the room in detail which is why sometimes they can arrive to the room within the late afternoon to re-service. There can also be delay in servicing if there is a ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on the door.

I will take all of your comments into account as Mercure strives to improve their standards.