“Lunch At The Griffin” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Griffin at Plumtree - CLOSED

The Griffin at Plumtree
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Seafood, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
“Lunch At The Griffin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I went to the Griffin Inn for lunch. The menu had changed from the tapas to a more traditional pub style menu.

We were pleasantly greeted by a young man behind the bar who gave us some lunch menus.
I had the cajun chicken wings as a starter whilst my husband had the prawn cocktail, we followed that by both having the salmon and it was good to see kale on the plate as a seasonal veg and the food overall was very good. The choice of wines and beer on offer were also very good.

We looked at the menus to choose a dessert, however, after having considered the options we decided that we only really wanted cheese and biscuits but sadly that was not an option, after saying this to the same young man who served us he instantly said to our surprise "let me see what I can do" and with that he went away. After a short time he came back with a wonderful platter of cheese and crackers, grapes and chutney!!

We were truly amazed and delighted that in this age of poor customer service this young man (and not forgetting the chef ) went that extra mile to ensure we had what we wanted.

We dine out at various places in and around Nottingham and have experienced differing levels of customer service, mostly lacking, and we were genuinely impressed with the team who looked after us on that day, nothing was too much trouble.

We will certainly be dining there again soon.

Visited November 2013

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New and very much improved”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband and I have been to the griffin tonight. We have never eaten there as previous management was white frankly very unprofessional. However the new manager James is a breath of dress air,.....excellent service fabulous food and we were made to feel very welcome .great night out in plumtree

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Geara1981
“Disappointing Sunday lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

From the outside the pub looks great, and the interior is nicely done out, with a nice ambience. We received a friendly greeting on arrival. The food, however, (3 x beef Sunday roast, and 1 child's fishcake) was really poor. The beef was really tough, and the Yorkshire puds were cremated. The fish cake, for my young son, was so burnt that there was virtually nothing that he could eat - this was returned. The veg on all dishes was actually okay, and my pint of old speckled hen was top notch - so not all bad!

Onto dessert, and another mixed bag served up. My daughter's ice cream and my wife's shortbread stack were fine, but my sticky toffee pudding was just awful. Dense and heavy sponge, burnt on the base, surrounded by the worst custard I have ever seen - luke warm, curdled, with long strings of lumpy skin. This was also sent back.

Half the stuff leaving the kitchen really shouldn't be getting through any kind of quality control process. The manager was kind enough to give us a good discount, so they do seem to care about the customer, at least.

In summary: nice place, decent staff, very good beer, but food really lets it down. Would I visit again? Probably not, no; not when there are so many other really good pubs in the vale of belvoir.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michael S
“Changed for the worst”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We used to love this pub for wholesome, traditional, great pub food. Whenever we fancied meals such as pie and chips or lamb shank, we would go to the Griffin. Unfortunately, on our last visit, the menu had had a complete overhaul and it is now a tapas menu. We ordered a few as we had driven there but were very disappointed. Tiny portions, very over priced and a complete change. Sad to say, we'll have to find a new pub for when we're looking for traditional, great pub food.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GPMCG
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“More of a restaurant than a pub”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Service was very good however felt no longer a village pub aiming to be a restaurant with quite a limited choice.Went at lunchtime not very busy and felt was quite expensive

• Visited August 2013