“Certainly recommended”

Strathdon Hotel - Nottingham
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My wife was at the Strathon in 2008, I was there in 2009 and back in July 2011, actually I can repeat my earlier review except for some additions. The location of the Strathdon hotel is perfect, only a short walk to city center and university. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are small and clean, the variety of the offered breakfast is good, the young guy serving the breakfast and also working at the restaurant and bar must be commended, so efficient and helpful. The bar is fully equipped, Vera our darling from the previous stays was in vacation but it still was perfect. There is free WIFI Internet access, and as an addition a PC in the reception area. Oh yes, one of the elevators is out of order probably since WW2 but what the heck! Last but not least the new young GM is a gem, so helpful, and fluent in several languages!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kilovolt500

Reviewed 20 September 2011

I have NEVER had the need to complain before in ALL my hotel stays.

I will try to keep this brief but firstly:-
The shower curtain was filthy, along with poor grouting and bath seal, the room blinds were thick with dust and had a burnt table top.
The room generaly was very dusty throughout with a clump of hair left on the carpet, the TV did not work and neither did the bedside lamp.

The so called manager Martin could not have cared less and dissapeared out of sight.

Room Tip: I would not dare gamble it !
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JohnnyBoy12
StrathdonGM, General Manager at Strathdon Hotel - Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2011

Dear JohnnyBoy12,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel as I do not know when you stayed or who you are and would welcome the opportunity to discuss these matters with you. As you will see from other comments I take exceptional pride in delivering a personal touch and would hate to think I had given the impression of not caring two hoots for you or any issues you may have encountered.
Yours in anticipation,

Reviewed 5 September 2011

Booked a night here through the internet Groupon scheme. Offer was for a night’s stay, three course evening meal, wine and breakfast. All for the great price of £55. Too good to be true? Yep!!

On arriving we were met by the receptionist who said that we would have been told our room was a "small double" when booking. No such thing was mentioned and seeing as I’m 6,2" you'd imagine I’d remember that. "Don't worry though sir, as you are able to upgrade to a double for a surcharge of £10 or our executive suite for £20".

Ahh right, i thought.... Sneaky. Give us the worst room and then they are bound to pay extra for the upgrade. Nope, not us.... As long as it's clean all we need is somewhere to rest our heads after a day’s drinking in Nottingham’s finest.

Got to the room. Wasn't able to test the phrase "not enough room to swing a cat" as I’d left "Billie" at home due to the lack of room in my overnight bag. This surely must have been a single room with a "small double" bed wedged in. The only smaller room i saw in the hotel was the lift.

Now I’m a bloke, i thought the room and bathroom was clean. Apart from the size it was "ok". That's when my wife started to point things out.... The curtains were dirty, windows hadn't been washed since Robin Hood was alive, not cleaned at the foot of the bed. Blah blah blah. The bed lined was clean and the toilet was clean. We'll just ignore the rest.

The evening meal.... With all the fine restaurants Nottingham has to offer I’m surprised the hotel even bothers with evening meals. We arrived at 20:30 with two other couples sitting in the restaurant. Both decided on the pate to start and i had the pork loin and the wife had salmon. Oh and we had a glass of rose each.

Rose turned up, warm. Pate turned up, shop bought. Pork loin turned up, dry with gravy of the granulated variety. Salmon, she didn't think much to it. Didn't even attempt a desert and made a quick exit.

Breakfast was equally poor. Poor quality of sausage, undercooked bacon, snotty eggs.... Beans were nice though and i had lashings of pineapple juice to nurse my hangover.

I know what you are probably thinking, "what do you expect for £55"? True, I’m certainly not expecting crystal chandeliers in reception or a chaise longue in the corner of our room. However I do expect a room fit for double occupancy, which is clean. I don't believe the hotel was anywhere near close to capacity. You just saw an opportunity to make more money. Shame on you!
Despite the hotel, Nottingham is a fantastic place to visit with plenty of things to keep you occupied. This is a good job as the thought of spending any longer in that room terrifies us. The Strathdon Hotel! Won’t go back, won’t recommend it but it’ll certainly not be forgotten.

Room Tip: Don't ask for room 304!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank benorigin
StrathdonGM, General Manager at Strathdon Hotel - Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Dear Benorigin,
Thank you for posting your review, though obviously I am disappointed with what you have written. I would normally write a response addressing the matters raised, but I know there has been communication between us by e-mail since and to be perfectly honest I believe stats would be a better answer.
Of the 5 couples who returned feedback forms from that night (yourself included), who stayed in similar rooms and ate the same food as you, the other 4 all answer the questions "Did you enjoy your stay at The Strathdon Hotel?" and "Would you purchase another groupon deal for The Strathdon Hotel?" with a "YES". The average score on a scale of 1-10 for the evening meal was 7.5, and the 3 who chose to answer the question "Could we have done anything to improve your stay?" wrote "No", "No fab" and "No it was all lovely thanks".
Again, I am disappointed we did not live up to your expectations and standards, as we aim to send every guest home happy and with a good impression of the hotel. I am at somewhat of a loss to fathom quite how EVERYTHING was not to your satisfaction, yet was more than satisfactory to all our other guests.
Regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2011

This is a nice place. The parking was a little distant and expensive but the room was acceptable (albeit rather small). I was in town for a conference and all I needed was a bed. Stayed one night and had a lovely sleep. Breakfast the following morning was quite standard, nothing special but not disappointing by any means.
I didn't really do much in the way of sightseeing so cannot comment on the adequacy of its position for this. It was close to plenty of nice looking restaurants and the high street.
I would happily stay again, and bring my wife, especially for the room value.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the north or street noise may be a problem.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank CambridgeCats
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Having booked a room,a double room we arrived to find that we had been given a twin room. This was not to our satisfaction and were told we could have a double room for a supplement,meaning we were asked to pay extra for something we had already payed for.On arriving in the room the first thing that hit you was the heat. It was so hot you perspired just sitting down. The shower in the bathroom did'nt work,the cold water would not run cold,the smoke alarm was covered in toilet roll suggesting the previous occupiers were smoking in the room.Breakfast was of a poor standard,containing two rashers of bacon which had no taste barely cooked mushrooms,beans that had been reheated god knows how many times,the smallest fried egg possible,hash browns and tomato. The cerial and toast were breakfasts redeeming element.Also having to pay £9-50 to park just adds to the bill when you are led to believe there is free parking available.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mickserotsky
StrathdonGM, General Manager at Strathdon Hotel - Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Dear Mickserotsky,
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor, though I must say I am a little confused as to some of the matters raised, and would welcome you to contact me directly to clear them up.
In the extremely unusual event of you having been allocated the wrong room type, under no circumstances would you have been expected to pay extra to have the room type requested. If this was the case, I will ensure you are immediately refunded what you were asked to pay as a supplement.
All our showers and baths are in perfect working order, with a sliding switch on the central neck diverting the water either through the bath taps or the shower head. We also conduct weekly temperature checks to ensure the cold and hot water is running at below 20 degrees and above 50 degrees respectively, as per statutory requirement.
Our cooked breakfast range comprises: sausages, bacon, scrambled and fried eggs, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, baked beans and hash browns, with poached and boiled eggs, black pudding, and kippers available on request. It is all cooked fresh on the premises, and the vast, vast majority of people are very satisfied with our quality and selection.
Limited parking is available on-site, though this is reserved for disabled guests, maintenance contractors, and those arriving late at night. Like almost every other Nottingham City Centre hotel, we recommend our guests use a secure NCP, with whom we have discounted rates. Nowhere do we advertise ample free parking for our guests.
As I said before, I would very much welcome the opportunity to clarify these matters, as we take great pride in looking after our guests at The Strathdon, and should anything be a-miss, I will ensure it is rectified as soon as possible.
Thanks again,

Reviewed 18 July 2011

I have stayed here at least four times over the past few years and until my last trip I was quite impressed with it. It is in a reasonably central location, although it doesn't have its own car park so you have to take your chance with on-street parking or pay for a space at a nearby one. Rooms are definitely on the small side (I stayed in a single) but the bathrooms are nice and I appreciated the fact that the TV had a built-in DVD player (slot on the side).

Imagine my disappointment then when I couldn't get the TV to work. I fiddled around with it for ages but no joy. So I went down to the bar. It was shut "for refurbishment". Then in the morning, I found I couldn't turn the shower off. I struggled with the taps for an eternity to no avail. I was thoroughly cheesed off by this time and had to just leave the room with water pouring out - not exactly environmentally friendly.

So when I checked out, I pointed these issues out , only to be told by the receptionist, in a rather pointed manner, that I only had to phone them up and they would have told me about a special switch by the bed which I had to use to turn the TV on. Well, fancy me not finding that. And having stayed there three times before. There was no hint of an apology - it was all my fault for not phoning up about it. I was made to feel stupid and I didn't appreciate her attitude. In fairness, the other staff I dealt with were all fine, so perhaps this was the rotten apple in the barrel, but even so, it has put me off staying in this hotel again.

The other oddity about the Strathdon is the lack of any level access. The hotel is a 60s design and there is a reasonable flight of stairs up to the main entrance. I thought all hotels nowadays had to have level access for wheelchair users, but there was no sign of that. When you're lugging suitcases, it's a bit of a pain. Then on top of that, although there are two lifts, they only ever have one working, so you have to wait ages for one to come and often, when it arrives, it's full, especially at check-out time. Also annoying.

My final gripe is that the room was just so damn hot. The window opened but just a smidge - presumably to stop you throwing yourself out in frustration at not being able to turn the TV on or the shower off... :-) Even though there was no heating on, the summer weather made the room humid and unpleasant. If there's one thing I hate, it's stuffiness, and I just couldn't sleep. All in all, not a pleasant experience and I doubt I will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank sfuhere
StrathdonGM, General Manager at Strathdon Hotel - Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Dear sfuhere,
Thank you for your honest feedback. I am sorry you feel we fell short of the standards that had seen you return regularly over the past few years, and welcome the opportunity to answer your concerns.
The TVs in some of the rooms do run off a power switch above the bedside table - it is a slightly quirky juxtaposition of modern, flat-screen TVs with built-in DVD players and a somewhat old-fashioned wiring system!
The hotel bar, formerly known as the Boston Bean Company Bar, since June 10th re-incarnated as BAR 44, was closed for 3 weeks for refurbishment, during which time the Cocktail Bar on the 1st floor was open for residents and non-residents alike. I appreciate the Cocktail Bar has a different atmosphere and doesn't have the TVs and pool table that the main bar has, but during this time we were still offering our full food and beverage service.
I also remember the shower that wouldn't turn off - the washer had broken but Maintenance was able to fix it quickly.
We do have flat-level access via the bar, which can be used 24/7 by residents. There is an intercom system at the foot of the main stairs for arrivals to announce themselves to Reception. I know Health & Safety wouldn't be happy if we were forcing people up and down stairs!
Again the matter with the windows is Health & Safety related. The inner glazing does slide all the way across while the outer glazing can tilt to an angle of approximately 25 degrees. Irrespective of where you are, sometimes there are nights so warm you'd think an ice bath would be preferrable!
I sincerely hope you do consider staying with us again, in which event please do contact me directly and I will personally oversee your reservation.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Easy to find , good location, any issues raised were dealt with so cannot complain, staff were great manager was always about as well, had a great friday night in the bar (first night) did suggest that floor levels be identified, in case people get lost /confused on stair wells, lighting needs to be brighter, but this was more than compensated for by the mannerism and politness of staff. Will be back in 2 years when the next football tournament is held there. Oh yes breakfast was better on sunday with the buffet service, Overall alll 5 of us enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms were good
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank intermilandrover
StrathdonGM, General Manager at Strathdon Hotel - Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2011

Dear Intermilandrover,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and even more so for your kind words. The staff on duty also said they very much enjoyed having you around over the weekend, and indeed it is positive interaction with guests that makes working in hospitality so rewarding! The opening night of the bar was also a great occasion, and it was nice to have residents and non-residents alike mixing.
I am pleased to read you tip our 4th floor rooms as being good, but I can assure you those standards are matched or bettered throughout, with upgrades to executive rooms on our 2nd floor also being available.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in 2013!