“An Enjoyable Stay”

Ranked #46 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
UK
“An Enjoyable Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed for 4 nights at this perfectly adequate hotel.
I was allocated a standard double room even though I requested a single and I am assuming they may not have single rooms as my friend also had a double.
The hotel décor is a little shabby in places but on the whole ok.
I found it to be clean with comfortable , cosy beds.
I stayed on floor 3 and there are wooden shutters to pull over the windows that help with the traffic noise. Other guests only had curtains on the higher floors.
You have to bear in mind you are in a very central position in the city and noise outside is to be expected.
I slept well with windows and shutters closed.
The food is nice and it is a buffet service but beware the staff are very keen to clear the tables so get your food one at a time if in a couple or leave a cardigan or jacket on the chair or your table will be cleared in a jiffy before you have finished.
The staff are friendly and helpful and I enjoyed my stay.
I would return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: 303 quite a nice standard double.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Polish first
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Were do i begin?....we booked into this hotel, as we were working in Nottingham for a week.
As we were in a hurry to book somewhere fast, we didn't read any reviews and acted on the photos on the website.
It looked clean and modern, so we booked it!....however when we got there, our first impression of the reception area was like it could do with a re-paint as it was old and shabby! Ignored that and continued to our room on the 5th floor....continuing down the corridor there was an unusual smell. Got to our room and we couldn't believe what we saw....The room was outdated, had some kind of a musky smell to it, reminded me of being in an old peoples home to put it bluntly....there was no way we were going to spend our time there, so went to reception and asked for a refund, which was given right away with no questions asked!!
It felt like they were use to giving refunds, and were not surprised when i mentioned the room was not to standard!.
I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

Bury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

First let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed the trip to the past that I experienced upon staying at Britannia Nottingham City Centre. The hotel whilst not difficult to find is in a one way system so this is something to bare in mind when visiting.

The hotel itself is clean and simple. On arrival I was greeted with the wonderful face of the hotel, David. When paying for the room (which you do upon arrival by the way), I believe that a smile very nearly broke out on to his face. He asked me to sign some papers and I was on my way to the room (503).

After a brief ride in the Otis lift (a highlight of the stay) I was met with a musty smell of what I think was tobacco and stale carpet. Entering the room we had a bathroom on the left and a small room in front of me. Then the heat hit me. The room devoid of air conditioning or ventilation (well there were two windows which we opened as far as we could) was roughly the temperature of a tropical jungle so no need to spend extra money on a sauna experience.

The bathroom was fine, I mean what is a little hair in the sink between friends.

In the morning I got up early and had a shower which boasted my favourite feature of a thermostat controlled shower mixer allowing me to accurately select my shower of 38ºC. I then got dressed and decided to check out the "Restaurant and Bar Area". It was unfortunately empty of people and staff so I have no idea what it was like. I did however pay reception a visit and asked for an extra towel as for the twin room they only provided one towel. I was greeted with a relatively young lady who seemed to misunderstand my request for a towel as a request for some of the earth's Magma core, that was what her face looked like anyway.

Now fast forward to the evening and this is when the fun happened. The evening entertainment available is unfortunately the same each evening but it is just that, very entertaining. The man I had originally checked in with (David) was on again and was certainly playing up and dramatising his part which was a fun experience to be part of. He stopped me and my colleagues who had left something back in our room, for convenience, and informed them in an abrupt manner that they would be unable to continue their voyage of adventure to our room to retrieve their items. This required me to return to reception with their bag.

I was however glad of this because as we sat in reception the real fun started. A young male decided to ignore David's question of identity providing David and his friend to pounce and pounce they did! They swiftly moved from around the back of the reception desk and to the lift clipboard in hands and radios on waist (I suppose that is in case he needs back up). This young whippersnapper was taken by surprise and eventually gave in to their interrogation of what room number he was in.

Over all the evening entertainment was very good and I would advise grabbing a coke (available from reception for £1.50) and watch the night unfold.

Would I stay again, no.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank johncolesuk
Sheerness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel as we were visiting friends in the area. It was just one night and they gave us 2 rooms as we were 2 adults and 2 children and no family room was available which seemed fine. Check-in was ok, went to the rooms and was greeted by a very dirty carpet in both rooms. The rooms were extremely spacious, there was a double bed and a single 'put you up' in both rooms. The 'put you up' beds were completely useless as some of the boards holding the mattress were missing and if you sat on the bed some other boards popped out. The T.V was from the 80's and the general decoration was drab and dirty looking. In the bathroom, the tiles in the bath/shower were wonky, grout was missing, hairs from previous guests were still stuck to the tiles. Someone had the great idea of hanging the shower curtail rail right next to the shower head so when you took a shower the curtain was laying up against you. The sink had drainage problems, the bowl fills with water when brushing your teeth and stayed there for about an hour to drain away. Breakfast was included, well let's just say a greasy spoon roadside cafe probably would have been better. We also made the mistake of eating at the restaraunt for dinner which was a buffet, oh boy, mash potatoes tasted so bad could nt eat them, none of the few dishes they had on offer tasted of anything, some seasoning would have been nice. No salad dressing, just added to the bad experience. On the plus side, the double bed was comfortable to sleep on and the location was nice. Would not book again though.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Glassmaster2020
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Booked into this hotel as part of a package deal to Alton Towers from National Holidays.

Once we'd got over the shock of the rooms !! Filthy is an understatement ! Carpets stained, Shabby old furniture, Bathroom disgustingly outdated appliances, Bed linen and Towels smelled stale.
(Hotel was that bad - a number of the coach party refused to stay there & paid at extra cost to book themselves into another hotel )

Went to the restaurant for our evening meal (included in the cost of our package deal)

Wish we hadn't bothered !!

Soup of the day had a skin on it ! So we by-passed that option.

Roast Turkey dinner was then the only option left - the Turkey was passable (just) the veg had seen better days ! Sprouts & Carrots were frozen & with them being on the hot plate to long had turned mushy - there was no option for kids (there were quite a few in the party)

Again several people chose not to eat on the hotel and booked in for a pub meal once again at extra cost.

Breakfast the next morning was in fairness ok - full English option as well as healthy eating option all self service.

To sum the Hotel up I would personally say AVOID it - but please bare in mind that this review is my own personal account and all content is what I actually experienced.

p.s I'm not one who usually complains about much ( please view my other Trip Advisor reviews) but I feel justified in writing this negative review as I feel that other potential customers need to be well informed about The Britannia at Nottingham.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank OLLYsafc
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Rooms were not bad, the old male staff at the desk was very moody and rude to us.
We were playing music not loudly at all and he came upstairs with another staff member and threatened to kick us out, considering we had just got there and already paid etc this seemed a little unfair as he did not want to even give us a warning. That immediately killed the mood for a night out, there is absolutely no need to speak like that to paying customers, all he needed to do, if anything, just come up and ask us nicely to just turn the volume down.
To summarise, rooms not bad, this specific staff member very poor, sounded aggressive and nobody wants to be threatened about being kicked out and having nowhere to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mark123477
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Booked this hotel last minute as me and the bf decided to have a weekend away in Nottingham. After booking read the reviews and was really dreading it but turned out to be better than expected. Had to wait about 5 min to be checked in as the receptionist was dealing with someone who had lost their key card. Only pre booked online and was told we could pay then or wait until check out. Got a room on the 3rd floor and was pleasantly surprised with the double room, plenty of space, the bath room was nice and clean, had a fridge, kettle and trouser press. The TV was very old and only had a few channels but we hadn't come to Nottingham to watch tv. The hotel is very close to the city centre and you could walk there in 5 min. We stayed a couple of nights and apart from the room being warm (we opened the windows) we had a great stay and asked for a late check out on the Monday morning and we were able to check out an hour later with no extra charge.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple