“Nights out on the city” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham

Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham
Ranked #25 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
northampton
“Nights out on the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

Great location for pubbing and clubbing being right in the the heart of the city, good Indian restaurant right out side the back door (open till 3am). Hotel clean and friendly with a couple of bars and restaurants and a great buffet style breakfast. Good gym with a nice heated indoor pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna. Then up to your luxury room with en suite which includes tea-coffee making facilities, mini bar, flat screen TV, Air con, hair dryer and press. Then get ready for a great night out with plenty of bars and clubs within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: There are mini rooms and standard witch are bigger.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul B
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
Dear Pauluz21,

Thank you for you review.

It was great to read that you enjoyed every part of your stay and in particular the team, Leisure club & breakfast.

Once again thank you and I hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back in the near future

Natalia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

I have give the hotel an overall average due to the price tag of £149 per night, but I want to stress that if the hotel was around £100 per night it would have got excellent. In my mind Average is exactly what I would expect for the money, nothing more nothing less.

We chose the Crowne Plaza for a few night away with the kids in a family room. The main reason for this hotel was its central location and if you want to explore Nottingham it's perfect.

On the negative point the hotel is a little tired and the air conditioning was noisy. If I'm going to be really picky the room was small for 2 adults and two children but it is a city centre hotel.

On the positive side the staff were incredibly friendly and the breakfast was pretty good.

I would definitely stay here again because the location is perfect and the experience is as expected. Had I been lucky/timely enough to get a better rate it would have scored 'Very Good' or perhaps even 'Excellent'.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear BusinessandLeisure99

Thank you for your recent review.

It was particularly pleasing to read that you would definitely return to the hotel and you found the team incredibly friendly as that is something we pride ourselves on at the hotel.

If you are looking to return we do have some great rates on offer so as soon as you know your date please check our website

Vicenza
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I have been in this hotel 5 nights for business. I had room 707 (7th fllor). It is a double bedroom (used as single). The room is very comfortable for one person, maybe a bit small for two persons. The breakfast (included in the room rent) was very good: buffet of typical English breakfast and continental as well. The room was pretty clean and the personnell polite. There is a swimming pool, but I didn't use and neither visited.
The only thing that I complain about is the use of internet: it is not free and it costs a lot to connect wireless my laptop. In this kind of hotel it WOULD BE free!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Axel_VI
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Dear Axel_Vi,

Thank you for your recent review.

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay in particular you found the room comfortable & clean and enjoyed the breakfast.

As you are aware we do charge for wifi, however we do have vouchers for customers just wanting 30 minutes access to check mail etc which we are currently offering complimentary.

Once again thank you for your review

Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

I'm a Platinum PC member and have now spent over 90 nights in Crowne Plaza's/Holiday Inns this calendar year.

The standard of the rooms in this hotel shocked me, I couldn't believe I was staying in an IHG hotel. My partner and I were put into a room which the hotel knew the air conditioning was broken, and a large (noisy!) fan was already in the room on our arrival. The room was small and stuffy, without any form of external ventilation, so the options overnight were to leave the fan on and breathe, but not sleep soundly, or turn the fan off and feel as though we were suffocating! This was late October, I can't believe how unbearable it must have been in the summer.

To add insult to injury, there was a constant loud rumbling which sounded like an A/C unit for another room which never stopped.

The room overlooked a busy (and excellent, I remember from many, many years ago) nightclub which led to noise through into the early hours, and earplugs had thoughtfully been supplied to counter this (although I would have expected more work to be put into secondary glazing first - I don't pay the Crowne Plaza premium to have to wear earplugs at night...) and they proved useful too in cutting out the noise of the fan and the adjacent air conditioning, in fact they were possibly too good as I couldn't hear my alarm on the bedside unit when it came time to get up in the morning.

Apart from the noise and the temperature and the lack of ventilation, the room (731 - no recognition or upgrade or anything despite my platinum status; apparently as the room was booked on a group) was tired looking and well overdue for decorating, as well as being small - impossible to walk around the bed without turning sideways and no room at all to relax without sitting on the bed.

Breakfast was average (just) - I didn't eat in the restaurant but my partner did as part of a group of 8 and her starter (baked camembert) was cold and the service was slow - by the time they'd got the attention of the staff to return the starter, and it subsequently came back, everyone else had finished their starters some time ago. She wasn't impressed by the quality of the food or the portion sizes either.

The public areas were impressive, the staff were friendly and helpful, and that's it for the positives - I assume this location makes its money from day delegate events because I certainly will NEVER stay in this hotel again, and it has in fact damaged my opinion of the entire brand.

It takes a lot for me to write a negative review, the two nights I spent here were a nightmare though.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably attract less external noise - ask for a room not overlooking Rock City
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Matt M
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
Dear WhirlpoolGrimsby,

Thank you for your recent review.

Please accept my sincere apologies as it is clear from your comments that you and your partner did not enjoy your stay. Our maintenance team are currently reviewing the air conditioning within your bedroom to ensure that any problems with the unit are rectified. I will also pass on your comments regarding the standard of the bedroom furnishings to our property department for review.

I was rather shocked to read your comments regarding the standard of breakfast and your partners dinner as this is something that we normally receive positive comments about and in particular the range of food at breakfast. It is unacceptable that your partners starter was cold which I will certainly pick up with my head chef .

I am sorry to read that you will never return to the hotel as I would genuinely like to restore your faith in not only the hotel but also in the Crowne Plaza Brand. I therefore would be grateful for you to contact me personally at the hotel to discuss this further.

Shropshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

Stayed for one night whilst visiting nearby Royal Concert Hall to see Glen Campbell. This was our second visit here and I really cannot understand the various grumbles. The attitude of staff was striking--reception, concierge, bar and breakfast staff, all very welcoming and helpful. We are Platinum PC members and were staying on points. I don't know whether we were upgraded or not (402) but the room was spacious, well-lit and well- equipped. Flat screen tv had plenty of channels. The air con had a low hum to it but it was quickly responsive to the temperature demanded and worked very efficiently.

The quality of food at breakfast was very good, let down by the cold bacon. The plates need to be hot and the temperature of the units higher. If you pay for breakfast at check-in you can get 2 for £15 which is good value for a hotel of this class.
The spacious and comfortable bar areas would make it very suitable for large conferences.

Would definitely stay again. You can be in the concert hall and theatre within 3 or 4 minutes stroll and the shops within 5 minutes. Car parking is in the attached multi-story and costs £12 but you can park there all day and night and this right in the city centre.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank _davidius61
Dear Davidius,

Thank you so much for you recent review.

It is so pleasing to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. In particular it was great to read your comments regarding the team and how friendly they are. I will make sure that your comments are passed onto the releavnt team members.;

I will also speak with my head chef regarding the temperature of the plates & bacon at breakfast.

I hope you enjoyed the Glen Campbell concert and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel

Barking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

When we arrived we noticed the air conditioning didnt work it took me two hours to get through to reception.Someone came to have a look and agreed it was unbearably hot but told us the hotel was full therefore we couldnt be moved,so we were with supplied with fan until the maintance person could come and fix it for us.
We returned from our night out with no indication whether someone had been or not, the room was so hot it was physically impossible to sleep properly and basically this ruined our stay.I was extremly tired the next day and had to drive back to London which was a very difficult journey,I mentioned my upset when departing on Sunday to be told he was sorry but he had no information on the event so was unable to comment,
I also phoned house keeping and requested more milk which we had no reply from and finished up having to request some when we ordered room service in the early hours of the morning.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Dear Karen h,

Thank you for your recent review.

Please accpet my sincere apologies for the inconvience caused due to your air conditioning not operating. I totally understand the discomfort this would of caused.

If you are thinking about staying in the future please contact me at the hotel so I can look after your stay personally.

My apologies once again and I do hope that we have the opportunity in wlecoming you back.

Stoke-on-Trent, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

After my wife and I decided we wanted to visit Nottingham for our wedding anniversary to explore the city centre, dine out on evenings and explore some of the history behind Robin Hood, we looked at several respected brand hotels and chose to stay at the Crowne Plaza hotel because it was very centrally located, and because it had the pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room - which my wife really appreciates.

First impressions: Upon check-in the room we were assigned on the fifth floor had a broken air conditioning unit system and with absolutely no openable windows and the baking heat of the sun the room was unbareably hot. After having a member of staff check the air conditioning to ensure it's not just me not operating it correctly or something I then return to the reception to request an alternative room and we then move all our bags to the 4th floor. We had been allocated a room adjacent to the elevators and while the room itself was lovely, being woken periodically through the night by elevators going up and down and then not being able to sleep at all after 5:30am when elevator use became almost non-stop. One can only conclude these rooms adjacent to the elevators are reserved as punishment for those who too courtious to make a scene at the front desk staff.

I'll be honest I'm not keen to make a fuss, particularly when my wife is with me and we've numerous bags to shift all the time, but the poor first impression and sleepless experience on an anniversary weekend no less has put me off staying in Crowne Plaza hotels generally now, not just the Nottingham one.

Its a while since our visit, but main points I remember:

* Many areas of the hotel like the corridors between the rooms and the area in front of the lifts on the ground floor seemed quite dark and musty, the kind of stale air smell I associate in my mind with old peoples homes.

* The sauna and steam room were out of action and having spoken to regular club members in the pool, it they had been out of action for several months with staff indicating no urgency or importance in seeing it fixed. The Crowne Plaza staff on the front desk simply told us that the leisure club was run independently and while use of the facilities was complimentary we should always ring before booking to check the current state of facilities. No discounts or alternative benefits were offered in compensation. I largely chose this hotel for our anniversary because other than being in the centre of nottingham, it had the sauna and steam room which my wife would enjoy - and she was gutted that they were out of action for the whole weekend. I think if facilities are advertised then it is the hotel's responsibility to ensure they are operational or advise they are not prior to booking - we shouldn't have to ask specifically. How rediculous would it be if we had to ask if the sheets would be cleaned, if the pillows would be provided, if the air conditioning in our room would work, if the door locks were working etc?!

* The breakfast (food and service) was absolutely fantastic and a saving grace of our stay at the hotel.

* The location was excellent - only minutes walking distance to the live and soul of Nottingham city centre.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms adjacent to elevators.
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank richhallstoke
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Dear Richallstoke,

Thank you for your recent review.

My apologies for the inconveience caused due to the noise levels in the bedroom.

I was most suprised to read your comments regarding your leisure club experience as we have had no issues with the sauna or steam room, however I then noted that you stayed at the hotel last year when I can recall we carried out maintenance works on both rooms.

I was particularly impressed with your comments regarding the standard and service at breakfast as I truly believe that this meal sets you up for the day ahead.

My apologies once again regarding the noise disturbace and I do hope that we have the opportunity in welcoming you back soon.