“Central location but nothing extraordinary”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham
Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
England
“Central location but nothing extraordinary”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Crowne Plaza is an ugly building from the outside but once you've checked in and made your way up the first floor lounge, bar and restaurant area your perception will change. These are spacious open spaces and are good for relaxed meetings. This is also where breakfast is served, a self-service buffet that was constantly being replenished and I did not have to wait to be seated. Free i-newspaers are provided. A large bar area is provided with TV's that will show sporting events.

The rooms do let this hotel down. They are small in comparison to other city hotels I have stayed in. They have the basic amenities and the TV choice is good. Hanging space is limited and the glazing doesn’t quite shut out all of the noise e.g. the church bells. For families there is the option of having adjoining rooms.

Attached to the hotel is a small gym and some beauty treatment rooms. There are a few basic machines but it was busy at peak times. The pool is a good size and a steam, sauna and hot tub are also on site

The advantage of this hotel is its central location. It's easy to find and is close to the tram stop, the theatre and a 5 minute walk from the cineworld and surrounding bars/restaurants.

My major bugbear about the hotel is charging for Wi-Fi. £5 for 60 minutes is a joke when you think about how much you pay for a room and how this hotels rivals often provide this for free.

If I was to venture back up to Nottingham I would try another hotel.

If you've found this review helpful please let me know by clicking yes.

3 Thank Hills86
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear Hills86,

Thank you for taking the time in writing you recent review.

I was disappointed to read that when returning to the city you may try another hotel due to the bedroom size and also cost for Wi-Fi.

Our bedrooms do differ in size, but we feel that the facilities of the rooms, hotel and the level of customer service out way the fact that some of the rooms are smaller in size.

We also provide 30 minute vouchers for Wi-Fi free of charge for our guest's that just want to check emails / browse the internet, with the coverage being in the bar, lounge and reception. i am sorry if this was not offered to you.

Once again thank you for your review I will certainly share your comments with the team.

Natalia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Nice hotel ideally placed for shops restaurants bars.Hotel clean and staff friendly. Really enjoyed the swimming pool and steam room

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Grimsby1_12,

Many thanks for your recent review. It was really pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay.

i will certainly share your comments with the team.

kind regards
Cheddar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Booked the hotel for a weekend in Nottingham and the location is very central and only 5 minutes from the centre. Initial first impressions are not good as the adjoining car park is terrible with little space between cars and not the best welcome for guests. Check in was slow as they had "lost" our booking "hotel speak for we are overbooked and need to lose a few rooms!". However, things did improve - room was a little dated but spacious and the majority of staff were very friendly, especially the breakfast and dinner staff. Dinner was reasonably priced and breakfast very good. Enjoyed our stay and would recommend purely for the location and price.

Room Tip: High floors have good views over Nottingham
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear mc2508,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am sorry that we couldn't find your booking when you arrived at the hotel, but was pleased to read that this was rectified.

It was particularly pleasing to read your comments regarding the breakfast and dinner team, I know that your comments will mean an awful lot to them and will make sure I share them.

Once again thank you for taking the time in placing your review and I do hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back soon.

Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2012

The hotel is huge, we stayed in an executive room (really nice and clean but small). The restaurant is average (28£ for a soup of the day, goat cheese and caramelised onions tart and the cake of the day, in our case chicken leek and potatoes). The only bad side is that in the night we could ear (even if not very loud) from our room on the 8th floor the music coming from a club near the hotel, I felt asleep only because I was extremely tired from the day. But the staff was impeccable and friendly. We didn't have breakfast included and there's no free wifi, but luckily we had access to the lounge on our floor where we could use a pc, have drinks (including beers and wine) and in the morning a continental breakfast, everything complimentary with the executive room.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Sofonisba23,

Thank you for your recent review.

It was so pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay, namely the benefitts of the club lounge and you found the team impeccable and friendly. I will certainly share your comments with the team as they mean a lot to them.

UK
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here for the weekend with a mate. The initial mix-up with the room was sorted quickly, efficiently and in a friendly manner. Staff on reception very polite and the room was great, spacious, clean and modern. The complimentary sparkling water was a nice touch. We didn't have breakfast so cannot comment on the food but the bar area was very airy and again contemporary. Ideally placed for the centre, our room was at the front of the hotel and there were no issues with any noise

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the front seem to be quieter
Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear GraieemTchad,

Thank you for you recent review.

I am sorry that there was a mix up when you arrived at the hotel, but was very pleased to see that the team handled this situation well & efficiently. First impressions really do count and we strive to make the best impression when guest's first arrive.

Your comments really do mean a lot to the team and myself, rest assured I will share your comments with them.

Once again thank you for taking the time out in writing your review

SEast
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Room well equipped but small. Comfortable bed but too hot and airco useless. Fast wifi but extortionately expensive. Too many "buts", and, the only hotel I know that provides earplugs by the bed. Why? because one side overlooks Rock City, billed as Britains largest club, which stays open until 6am...

Stayed two nights this time. Last time I was upgraded to a club room and the experience was much much better.

So it's a city centre hotel, great location, but a bit tired, and not what you expect for a Crowne Plaza. That said, not much choice if you want to stay in the centre. And take your own silicone ear plugs as the free ones are rubbish.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Barcabloke,

Many thanks for you recent review.

It was a little disappointing reading your review as it seems your stay was just average. We strive every time to make our guest stay truly memorable for all the right reasons, especially in relation to our service levels. It seems this time unfortunately we did not reach this level for which I apologise.

I have noted your comments regarding the hotel being tired and will review these at our next property meeting.

Once again thank you for your comments

Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2012

CP Notts is a comfortable hotel in a central location. I have stayed here several times and have never been overly impressed, or disappointed by the quality. To me it is a Holiday Inn with better bedding.

My most recent stay, on Thursday 19th of April was nothing out of the ordinary, until check out. I unfortunately didn't catch the name of the girl who checked me out.

When she told me the bill total, I queried it, because it was lower than I expected. She informed me the room rate was £115 and parking was £7. I informed her that I had taken a drink from the mini bar and had purchased Internet access. She then added an additional £11.95 to the bill. I queried this, as I felt that £4.95 for a diet Pepsi was rather expensive, at which point she informed me that the Wifi was £10. It is advertised as £7 online and I had called reception to get a voucher.

I told her I should have been informed of this, to which she shrugged and charged me.

Oh dear CP. you shot yourselves in the foot! I will never be honest again, and kept my mouth shut about the fact you had my room rate wrong - £150 was what I had expected and was quite willing to pay. But thanks to your unbothered attitude, you missed out on £35. And a regular client. I have just secured a contract in the area and could give you a lot of room nights - but as the staff don't care, especially with genuine, honest customers, you missed out.

Your loss.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for executive rooms - there is no difference in size or quality - and £35 for re...
Dear Clareandken,
Thank you for your recent review.

Please accept my apologies for the poor customer service you experienced on check out. I have to admit I was rather shocked to read your review as we receive regular compliments regarding the team. I can assure you that I will personally pick this matter up.

It was a great shame to read that you will not return to the hotel as I would genuinely like to restore your faith in ourselves and show you that your experience was a one off.

If you would consider returning I would be grateful if you would contact me personally at the hotel.

Once again thank you for your review and I do hope that I hear from you soon.