“Disappointed...”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Myself and girlfriend stayed here about a year ago having gotten a good deal on a room (£45 I think), I went to University in Nottingham and having had friends who worked at the bar had been in the hotel and thought the public areas looked really nice and upmarket and thought the rooms would be the same - I was wrong!
First of all the good points about this hotel; the location is great, it's walking distance to the centre and a hundred metres from the tram line, far enough removed to be quiet. The public areas are well maintained and look very nice, there is a huge well stocked bar area and although relatively empty when we went in was quite pleasant - not a rival for the bars in the lace market but good all the same.
The staff on the front desk were okay, I've met friendlier. When we got to our room on the 2nd floor the two things immediately struck me; firstly how small it was, it was like a box room with a wardrobe stuffed into a corner next to the window, TV and the usual stuff on top of the drawers/desk. The second thing that didn't exactly impress was that there were 3 or 4 lights out making the room seem very dull - not helped by the fact that the window looked directly onto the atrium roof, blocking any kind of view there might have been. We headed out to do some shopping and on our way out reported the lights to reception who said they would sort it immediately. We headed out for about an hour and half shopping, etc and when we came back they had been replaced - 2 out of 4 anyway, perhaps they had run out of bulbs!? I gave up at this point as we had a dinner reservation and was unconvinced that anything would get done anyway.
Would I stay here again - No, not even at £45/night, if I'd paid full price I would have been furious, there are plenty of hotels in Nottingham cheaper that offer nicer rooms for less and with better service. I'm not entirely sure how it's classed as a 4 star, I assume there are better rooms and perhaps because we paid a discounted rate we were given one of the more basic ones. Overall disappointed and underwhelmed by the whole experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob C
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Rob C,

Many thanks for you review.

Unfortunately due to the time lapsed since you visited until you review I can't look into your comments regarding the light bulbs. I do know however that some of our rooms on the 2nd floor have numerous switches for different bulbs which may have been one of the problems.

It was good however to read that you enjoyed our great location within the city.

My apologies you were disappointed when you stayed with us last year and once again thank you for your review

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,660)

Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here because we were going to the Concert Hall, (Palamo Faith was just awesome!) and for what we paid, our stay at the Plaza represented great value for money. That said if we had paid the full amount we would have been somewhat disappointed. Although the room was clean, it was a little cramped and the carpet was rather tired. Location wise the hotel is spot on, literally a 5 minute walk to the Concert Hall and to the shopping centres. The hotel is built alongside a multi-story car park which is a plus although being a public carpark it's a little expensive but it is very convenient. In summary for us a worthwhile stay but as I've said we paid half the going room rate, we wouldn't be prepared to pay the full rate because in our opinion this is at best a 3 star hotel, not 4.

Dear Howard K,

Many thanks for your recent review.

I hope you had a great time at the Paloma Faith concert. It was good to read that you found your stay to be great value for your money.

My apologies that you found the room to be a little cramped and the carpet in need of attention. We are currently looking at the maintenance plan for next year and I know that replacement carpets will be featured on this.

Once again thank you for your review and we do hope to welcome you back soon

Kind reagrds

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We always choose the Crowne Plaza when we go to Nottingham, mainly for its excellent location; it's situated close to the Theatre, Cornerhouse, Victoria Centre, and there's a restaurant and casino directly opposite. The hotel and carpark are also very easy to find, which makes a nice change from some other city-centre experiences we've had in the past!

We checked in recently for a two-night stay. The standard rooms are small but comfortable, with everything you need for a pleasant stay. Having read some reviews, I see people have commented on noise from the nearby Rock City venue - admittedly, you can hear the music until quite late, but given that the hotel lies in such a central location, I would say this is only to be expected. Unfortunately, on this occasion we had the addition of a high-pitched squealing noise...it drove us mad, trying to establish where the noise was coming from. We eventually managed to get to sleep, but we weren't very happy!

I must say though, when my partner went to Reception the following morning, we could not have been more pleased with the way the matter was dealt with. We were moved to an Executive Suite on the 8th floor for our second night, which had the added benefit of full use of the Club Lounge. The staff on Reception were all very helpful, arranging for our bags to be taken up to the new room throughout the day, and giving us passes to the Lounge while we waited for the room to be ready. We really appreciated the gesture, as we are fairly regular guests at the Crowne Plaza, and this hasn't put us off staying again.

We enjoyed the breakfast, which was lovely as usual. Our only gripe about the other facilities was that we went into the bar, spent a while choosing snacks from the menu, to be then told they were no longer serving food...given that it was gone 11.30pm, fair enough, but the menus should have been taken away - a little misleading (and very disappointing!).

Overall though, we enjoyed another excellent stay. I have chosen to write a review on this occasion because whilst there were one or two issues, our complaints were dealt with really well. I sincerely hope our gratitude and thanks will be passed on to all of the Reception staff, without exception. We would not hesistate to come and stay again.

Room Tip: I would suggest rooms to the front of the building would be quieter, but go for the Executive Suite...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Cat S,

Many thanks for your recent review. My apologies that you encountered some noise disturbance on your first night. It was however really pleasing to read that the team handled this well, upgrading you for your second night so you could enjoy the benefits of the club lounge and have a comfortable stay.

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding the team and in particular reception. Rest assured I will make sure that your review is passed onto them as they truly deserve your praise.

Once again thank you and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently while working in Nottingham. As I didn't book this hotel I can't comment on value for money.

The receptionist who checked me in was friendly, and I was able to check-in about and hour and a half before the official check-in time. It wasn't the quickest check-in I've encountered, but the receptionist did apologize, explaining they had a new system installed.

My room was fine, and had everything I needed. The bed was quite comfortable. I had only two minor issues really. It was impossible to open the window, and without switching on the aircon, the room was quite warm and stuffy (and it was late October!). I found the aircon quite noisy, so I didn't bother with it. I would have preferred fresh air from outside anyway. The other thing to bear in mind, I was there on a Saturday night, and there appears to be a club outside, which had loud music until about 1am. The room itself looks slightly tired too. It didn't affect my comfort though, but if I knew how much the room cost then I could offer an opinion on how acceptable it was!

Breakfast was fine, and the lady greeting guests was friendly.

The location was great, a very short walk into central Nottingham.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Neilsolaris,

Many thanks for your recent review. It was great to read that you had a comfortable stay and found the team to be friendly. Rest assured I will share your kind comments with the team.

My apologies that you air conditioning unit was noisy we are currently undergoing work on our units which will hopefully stop this.

Once again thank you and we do hope to welcome you back soon

kind regards

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed 24th for B&B, all staff very friendly and helpful, couldn't be faulted. Cooked breakfast very ordinary, tasteless sausages and scrambled eggs like plastic - however fresh fruit good and breakfast staff full of smiles. 8 out of 10 overall.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear ttimbo59,

Many thanks for your review regarding your recent stay. It was so pleasing to read your kind words regarding the team I know they will be as pleased as I when I share your review with them.

I will pick up your comments regarding the sausages and scrambled egg with the Head Chef.

Once again thank you and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed in a Club Executive room on the 8th floor. Room was big and airy. Floor to ceiling windows which was nice. Good air conditioning was a bonus. Had complimentary access to the club lounge which was great, free beer and snacks! Bed very comfortable. Hotel was in general very clean, though some parts were a small bit shabby. Breakfast had a wide selection and was tasty but no hash browns at the weekend which was annoying as they're my favourite part. Service at the bar was hopelessly slow. Pool/Sauna out of action due to fire, the gym is now reopened but I didn't have time to try it. Would happily stay here again.

Dear lookatmegoingby,

Many thanks for your recent review. It was great to read that you had a good stay and that you enjoyed the benefits of the club lounge.

We do normally provide hash browns for breakfast so I will make sure I look into this along with the efficiency of bar service when you stayed.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed here mid week ready for an early start the following day. I it's a roomy hotel with clean and well appointed rooms. I stayed in an Executive room which gave access to the club lounge which was good to work from and a cold beer helped. Only downside is the Rock City venue nearby which can be quite loud and certain times of evening/early morning.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear RogerNorrisUK,

Thank you so much for you review. It was so pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay and also the benefits of the club lounge.

Should you be returning to the hotel we can allocate you a room on the front of the hotel away from Rock City should there be an event on.

Once again thank you and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.