“The only thing that's 'Hilton' about this is the toiletries”
Review of Hilton Nottingham

Hilton Nottingham
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Nottingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“The only thing that's 'Hilton' about this is the toiletries”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Having stayed at a Hilton in a different city, and with the name that Hilton has, i thought it was a no-brainer staying here.
WRONG

Hilton have clearly taken on a pre existing hotel and just slapped their logo on the top of the building and put in their own toiletries. I understand this is a listed building, so you can forgive a little, not a lot - which is what's needed. Absolutely no effort has been made on Hilton's part to update this horrendously out-dated hotel. It couldn't even get away with using key words like 'charm' or 'character', it's just run down and old.

I chose to upgrade the room for a further 20GBP which i never do, but thought why not? The room must be worth it! Nope, it was just a larger room with more room to make more noise on the creeky floorboards and uneven flooring, and someone trying on numerous occasions to access my room via the interconnecting door.

Walking to the room is a mission and i'd hate to do it with more than a carry on bag, with thick carpet, fire doors what feels like every 10meters, and uneven and noisy flooring.

My room felt like the whole thing was on a slant, my bathroom - which had a step up into it, was also on a noticeable slant - water was actually running 'downhill'.

The staff seemed un impressed about working there - probably because they don't believe in the product they're selling for the price they're selling it for. I know wouldn't want to work there, i'd actually be embarrassed checking people in.

The buffet breakfast brought this place up a bit and i was happy to see 'poached eggs' on the buffet, only to find them practically hard boiled.

Was happy to check out of this hotel and never return. I've not booked a Hilton since in fear that it is as 'good' as this one...

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Martini7158
HotelManager_10, General Manager at Hilton Nottingham, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Martini7158,

Thank you for your recent review about your experience at Hilton Nottingham.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time here with us and I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that you may have experienced as a result of the issues you encountered.

Please rest assured that we take all feedback very seriously and I will be looking into your comments further to ensure that all issues are rectified immediately where ever possible.

Unfortunately we are aware of the creaky floorboards and we are currently looking into many different resolutions in order to rectify this as soon as possible.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to a Hilton Hotel again as it would be our pleasure to do so.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My partner and I stayed here for the weekend .. although the room needed updating we had a lovely stay..and the swimming pool was an extra bonus,, like getting into a warm bath..staff very friendly and courteous, however, the hotel could do with a complete makeover..but would stay again fab location in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: Great location in the centre of the City..slept really well.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SusanStewart-12,

Thank you very much for your recent review about your experience at Hilton Nottingham.

I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time here with us and were able to unwind and relax in our brilliant Living Well facilities. It is also a pleasure to hear how attentive and friendly you found the staff at the Hotel to have been. I will be sure to pass on your very kind comments to the team and will ensure that they are all reconginsed and rewarded for their hard work.

I do hope to welcome you back to the Hotel once again in the near future and look forward to doing so.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a hen do and thought that this hotel was nice, in a great, central location. There isn't much parking available at the hotel itself, but there are plenty of spaces opposite at Trinity Square - make sure you get your parking ticket validated at the hotel to save yourself a bit of money! My room was a good size, but the floorboards were very squeaky. If I ever go back to Nottingham and need a hotel to stay at, I wouldn't hesitate in returning to the Hilton.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Suzanne F,

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience here at our Hotel, which was made even better by our fantastic city centre as it provided you with an excellent base to explore the city and your lovely large room.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to our Hotel again as we sincerely enjoyed having you stay with us.

Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The hotel is situated in the heart of the city so convenient for every thing you need shopping bars theatres etc.parking quite expensive at £15 a day but expected for such a big place,reception staff were good although our rooms were not right it was soon rectified,dissapointed with rooms as they are very dated and are in need of a good refurb,but clean and tidy with the usual tea coffee hairdryer iron and ironing board,breakfast was lovely as was the staff in there,nothing was too much trouble,all in all we had a fantastic weekend at the hilton.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
HotelManager_10, General Manager at Hilton Nottingham, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear terriann9667,

I am delighted to hear about your fantastic experience at Hilton Nottingham, which was made even better by our fantastic city centre location as it provided you with immediate access to all the city has to offer.

I will be sure to pass on your very kind feedback to the team here at the Hotel as they too will be thrilled to know of your excellent experience.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

A shocker of a Hotel. Listed building that does not lend itself well to modernisation. Rabbit warren. Was allocated a "compact" room in small print. Worst hotel room i have ever stayed in. Staff are good as you would expect. Suggest a new Premier inn for more comfort and value.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Ben W
Dear Ben W,

Thank you for your recent review about your experience at Hilton Nottingham.

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment with your recent visit to our Hotel and I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result. Please rest assured that I will take you comments on board and will be sure to add a request to your folio for a larger room for you should you choose to visit our Hotel again in the future.

I am however pleased to hear that you found our staff to have been helpful and attentive and will be sure to follow this up with the relevant individuals.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a whole weekend in a king deluxe room. I arrived about 2 hours after check in and had to wait in reception for 30 minutes as room wasn't quite ready!
I was quite excited about staying in the hilton but was very disappointed! Room was very spacious but extremely hot with no air con - they gave me a fan for substitute. Floor was very creaky which is understandable in a building of that age! Bath robes were missing and was told unavailable.
One good point is the car park attendant was very polite! I managed to get one of the very few spaces outside of the hotel!
Was good but not hilton good! I have enjoyed more at a premier Inn!

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dannyrowson
Dear Dannyrowson,

Thank you for your recent review about your experience at Hilton Nottingham.

Although I am pleased to hear that you found our Concierge on duty the day of your arrival to have been very helpful and friendly, I am sorry to hear that you were not so satisfied with the remainder of your time here with us.

I am shocked to hear that you had to wait an additional 30minutes past specified check in time and was then not provided with the deluxe amenities that come standard with the room you had booked. Please rest assured that I will be addressing this directly with the Head Housekeeper as to why this was the case and can assure you that the relevant action will be taken to ensure it does not happen again, as it will not be tolerated.

Unfortunately due to certain restrictions in place we are unable to install air conditioning into our Guest Bedrooms. We do however provide two options for our guests in order to help control the temperature within your room. We provide both in room fans and also air cooling units which can be requested at Reception.

I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel 23rd + 24th June and had the WORST experience I have EVER had while travelling for business (which I do on a weekly basis).

Many others have commented about how awful the rooms are and I agree completely, dust everywhere, vile net curtains covered in grime, a tropical array of weird insects, squeaky floorboards and an intolerable level of heat despite it not actually being very warm outside.

To escape the unsanitary environment of the room I decided to use the gym and when I went to its reception was greeted by an extremely impolite portly man in a waistcoat who looked at me with complete contempt and said nothing whatsoever to me when I arrived! I guess he was employed at the hotel, thank goodness an employee of the gym intervened who was much more professional, probably having noticed the disgusting level of customer service I had received initially.

The real jewel in the crown of my stay had to be that I arrived in full health and have now left ill with some form of agonising gastrointestinal issue that I can only explain by it either being caused by the unclean rooms, or most likely the food served at breakfast/room service as I ate (regrettably) at the Hilton and absolutely no where else during my stay.

In summary a grotty, revolting, foul hotel not fit for human habitation that should be avoided at all costs.

The staff there and the Hilton brand should be ashamed of themselves.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank C W
Dear C W,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent experience at Hilton Nottingham.

I would be extremely grateful if you could contact the Guest Relations department directly via email at fiona.humber@hilton.com providing us with the opportunity to look into this further for you.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.