“What a shambles”

Best Western Bestwood Lodge Hotel
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
“What a shambles”
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

What can i say this resturant is a joke, i will start with the starters i ordered the scampi five small pieces and a couple of dots tartre sauce, my partner ordered chicken terrine guess guess what pork and duck terrine came to our table rather than fuss she had it,this is the best one i ordered rump steak i did ask for it to be well done what came was a steak that was still bleeding blood juice all over my plate and you could not cut into this,i called the waiter over he took the plate away and said i will have a word with head chef the plate came back this is the best bit the same piece of steak that was tough as old boots on my plate this was cremated it stunk terrible,i asked for the manager this time she came out and i told her this is a joke she then said i will have words with this so called head chef and took the plate away,no would you like anything else of the menu just you can have a free dessert,this meal was a gift at christmas from family for the two of us i feel sorry for them wasting there money on such a shamble of a resturant.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Powys
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We were staying here for a family wedding reception and having B&B. I was expecting alot, going by the price £90 for a family room. I found our room was dirty and well below standard for a Best Western hotel. There were pet/animal hairs on one of the bed runners and pillow. The carpet hadn't been hoovered, there were dirty marks on the walls and I didn't feel like it had been decorated in some time. There were cobwebs on the lights. One of the lamps didn't work. The shower wasn't clean and the water pressure was awful if non existent. We were offered another room which was smaller and would require them to put up a camp bed for one of the children - just one look at that carpet decided that we would stay in the original room and make do. The beds were super comfy and the free internet was very much appreciated.
Breakfast was a hit and miss affair as we were a large family party and it didn't feel like they could cater for us all at once - they didn't have all the buffet items available at the same time so there was alot of waiting around for various items. Friends came to join us and paid £11 each for their breakfast which was not worth the money. Breakfast ended at 10am which wasn't convenient at all, perhaps a later breakfast and later checkout time would have been better. Checkout time was at 11am.
The reception staff were very pleasant and gave us a reduction on our room which we were grateful for. The other staff members were pleasant and well mannered but a little stressed and one in particular was a bit huffy.
This could have been a great stay but was spoiled by the fact that they just didn't seem able to cater for that many hotel guests at once in an efficient way. It was a beautiful venue for the wedding reception and the period features were a real pleasure. A little attention and effort is all this hotel needs to warrant its price tag - in my opinion.

1 Thank Fiona J

Travellers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

midlands
Reviewed 10 March 2014

A party of 15 of us booked for the Sunday carvery and it was really nice. The selection of starters and desserts were good as was the 4 choices of meats along with beautiful veg. The man carving the meat was friendly as were the serving staff as well as very polite. After dinner we sat in the bar area for coffee and found it really relaxing, what was good that the weather was sunny and we had opportunity to walk around the grounds. Good value for money and will visit again.

Northumberland
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had to make a last minute visit to Nottingham following a death in the family. We were able to get a room here through Lastminute. The staff were very helpful when I asked for a quiet room and quickly moved us to a floor where there were no other guests. I really like the hotel, and the staff are all helpful and friendly. The only one problem I had were the inclusion of dogs in an area where bar meals are served. I think when you happily return to a hotel again it shows you are satisfied.

Nottingham
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Went on our monthly date night for a meal this evening at Bestwood lodge hotel and I must say was delighted. Location was very romantic, hotel was elegant (needs a few touch ups, here and there but staff informed us that there were still many improvements to be made over the coming year) but we were very impressed with the general feel of the place. Dinning room has been done up nicely and was perfect for our night out. The waitress services was professional, friendly and welcoming, bar staff were excellent and attentive. Starters arrived quickly and enough time was left in between each meal. We had 3 course and each was well presented, tasty and plenty of it. I must say it was the best steak we've had in a little while, the home made chips were to die for and the chocolate mouse pudding was DELICIOUS. Thank you Bestwood Lodge, we will be back and maybe have a stay over too next time.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Oldhamr
Derbyshire, England
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is a review of the restaurant only:

My experience of these kind of ye olde hunting lodge type venues has generally been disappointing. The building always looks great from the outside, and with the history, your expectation is normally high. Then, you are normally let down big style. But, not with Bestwood Lodge. The bar area is very ye olde worlde, but feels comfy too. When we were taken to the restaurant, I was surprised to find a dining room that had a quality feel to it. The service was very good. Waiters were polite, professional and attentive, without being to fussy. The menu was a little limited, but this might not be a bad thing as too many choices on a menu often gives the kitchen a chance to get everything wrong. But, when the food came out, it looked very good with a modern british presentation. The quality was good and so were the prices. I wouldn't normally be too keen to come back to these kind of places, but I certainly will be back to Bestwood Lodge. I had low expectation, but after the meal, I would recommend it for a meal with your husband/wife and business meals. It's not really suitable for large groups of family/friends, but for a more intimate/personal meal, it's good.

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

First of all we notice that there are several recent and historic complaints here from paying customers. Many which have been responded to by the management with apologies and assurances that they take this all seriously and will rectify etc., etc.,

So why is this still happening?

A few weeks ago we booked a family (£212) and double room (£155) for two nights for myself, two children and my father. So that's a total of £367 - including breakfast but not dinner. The photos on the website make the place look amazing!!

After a 4 hour drive we arrived late and hungry on Friday evening at 9pm and requested dinner.

Firstly though we took our bags up to our rooms. After having to climb many stairs and open many doors we found The Queen Ann (Family) and room 25.

As soon as I opened the door to the Queen Ann my heart sank! The smell was awful! The place had outdated shoddy furniture, a dated bathroom in a weird green colour, it didn't feel clean, the carpet was dirty and felt "greasy", there was no TV - not what is expected in a family room. Maybe I should have said something then but we were tired and hungry so went for dinner.

We ordered 2 children's meals and 2 roast duck (almost £16 per portion for the duck). The duck arrived and tasted just weird and chewy! The sauce was too sweet and the mash was lumpy. Neither of us could eat it. My father complained and we weren't charged for the meal.

My father took photos of his room which was as dirty as ours. There were old, dead flies on the window sills, dust every where, wiring that was coming out of it's plastic trunking, extension leads - not the sort of room that would be safe around toddlers! The bathroom had damp. The walls had wall paper coming unstuck and glue sploshed on to hold it up. He wasn't able to sleep until 4am due to feeling so uncomfortable seeing all the dirt.

In the morning I decided that as we didn't have TV and my children woke early to try and play TV streaming through my computer but it was such a bad connection I gave up.

I then decided to have a shower and it was just plain dangerous! It went from scalding hot to freezing cold - I assume every time anyone else used another shower or flushed a toilet (?)

At this point we decided it would be unlikely we would want to stay but lets have some breakfast and chat about it. As we took a closer look around us in the hotel we noticed filthy floors and I took a photo of a hand full of hair on the stairs! There is a high balcony that has HUGE gaps between the metal and (much to my discomfort) my father took a photo of my son in front of them to show how dangerous that is. Imagine a child falling through or over!

At breakfast we ordered fried eggs, Lincoln sausages, bacon, fried bread, grilled tomato. The eggs were a mess, the sausages were NOT Lincoln and were some sort of cheap pink things, the fried bread was dry and shrunken, the tomato did not look grilled! Luke warm coffee. The "Continental" which apparently was meant to be croissants, muffins etc., had a bit of fruit and white bread! The only person who ate anything was my son who had baked beans!

At that point my dad called in the manager, Aprille, and expressed all our concerns and we decided to not stay any longer and leave. Aprille dealt with our complaint and we were refunded for the second night and the family room for both nights.

When we went outside we also noticed cigarette butts stubbed out on top of a bin, litter in the hedges and in the car park.

This isn't really just a customer service issue as Aprille dealt with our complaint. This is a much higher issue. Obviously people have written here and complained time and time again but it's being ignored. By who? Management or Best Western? Where is the money going? Health and Safety should be called - this must be well below code.

When so many people in this country have and are working hard in the hospitality industry to create wonderful food, comfortable sleeping facilities and great service it is a shame that they can be let down by somewhere like this. The Bestwood is letting itself and the industry down to its UK and overseas visitors.

Please see photos.....