“Recommended visit”

4550 miles from Delhi
Ranked #25 of 1,414 Restaurants in Nottingham
Price range: US$19 - US$32
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: The cuisine of India is as rich and diverse as her people and has its influence from all over the Ancient World. The first Moghul Emperor, Babur, a direct descendant of the Mongol conqueror Genghis Khan and the Turkish leader “Timur the Muslim” arrived from Afghanistan in 1526 and founded the dynasty on the ruins of the old Sultanate of Delhi.Under the rule of these cool Caliphs came a period where beauty and elegance became “in vogue” and flourished. The Sultans of Style nursed a passion for panache that was reflected in all aspects of life. Fair to say if you were looking for “Rogan rush” in the 16th Century, then Delhi was the place to be!To make these spices sparkle, a radically new form of cooking was introduced by the chefs of Imperial food courts. Commanded by their masters to bedazzle and enthral with their culinary tactics, the chefs created Dum Pukht; the ultra chic “Food of the Kings”. Known to the pundits as the near mythical Grand Cuisine of India.To guarantee a chilli kick, the food was encased and sealed into great earthen pots and covered with charcoal and scorched earth. Here it would simmer and ferment over the day in its own juices allowing the food to ripen and mature. Once the great earthen pots were opened at the court banquets, it is said that the Memsahibs would faint and the Sahibs would swoon at the intensity of the fragrances that were released.Our chefs have been brought in from Delhi to ensure that the dishes that we serve are of the highest quality and prepared to authentic Indian recipes. Our chefs will be using fresh herbs, spices and ingredients that are free from artificial colouring and flavouring.The generosity of our people is legendary. In Sanskrit literature we say ‘Atithi Devo Bhava’ (the guest is truly your god) meaning that we are honoured to share our mealtimes with guests. Even our poorest look forward to receiving guests and sharing their meal.With the restaurant we wanted to create a place that is relaxing and comfortable, but also wanted to inject some of the hustle and bustle of everyday life of Delhi. With the open plan ‘theatre’ kitchen, in hope that we have brought a little bit of Delhi to Nottingham.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Recommended visit”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was the first time we had visited this restaurant - it was late evening on a Saturday night and though busy we was taken to a table immediately. From there on in the service was excellent followed by good food . The bill was competitively priced . Would recommend a visit .

• Visited July 2014

Nottingham
“Great food but”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Frankly a bit pack em in and ship em out.
The food is great but it is a place for groups of people rather than couples at least later in the night when we went.
Service is reasonable to good.

But guys, the toilets were awful. By 10:30 you had to paddle in the gents. Get some proper urinals you can stand close to and get rid of the trough.

The stars jump from average to very good. I'd rate the place as good. Very good if you don't need the bathroom.

Visited June 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“If you can stand the heat get in this kitchen!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I go to a lot of Indian restaurants and you find most of them are pretty much the same - good but not memorable. So I base the experience on testing my particularly high spice tolerance, which means ordering something not on the menu! 4550 already do a wide range of high standard Indian cuisine, but were more than accommodating in my quest to find a curry that beats me. I wasn't beaten this time but it was a close run thing - their talented chefs coming up with a lamb and Naga chilli-based inferno in no time that is still making me tingle as I write this 2 hrs later :) Aside from the heat, all of my 8-strong party were very impressed with the variety and service from our waiter Prince in particular, highly recommended!

• Visited June 2014
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Portion sizes a touch small”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Every city break we have we always make sure we find a decent Indian restaurant for a meal. We didn't book a table, but were lucky enough to get one at around 6:30pm. The restaurant was bustling full of people, it was a rather nice atmosphere inside, lovely modern Indian restaurant with an open kitchen which was nice watching your food get cooked freshly.

The waiter was very informative about some of the dishes I was enquiring about. He took our drinks order and arrived promptly back with them.

Being an adventurous person when it comes to Indian food, I thought I would try a Chicken Malabar which if I remember correctly was a Keralean dish. Any Indian restaurant I have had the pleasure to dine in has never had a dish from this part of India and I was really looking forward to this particular dish. My partner ordered a Chicken Tikka Masala and pilau rice, chips and a garlic and coriander nan to share.

All dishes were both served within the next ten minutes, all freshly cooked and piping hot. The standard of the quality of food here is good. Absolutely beautiful Indian food. The Chicken Malabar was very nice, alot different to the north indian dishes you would usually find in a restaurant. As nice and different as it was I don't think id pick this particular dish again though. The masala was very rich creamy and very flavoursome. The rice was cooked with saffron and was stunning. The nan was slightly disappointing, it was very thin more like a paratha.

Portion sizes we thought really were on the small side. Were as normally one rice/one nan would be suffcient for two people. One rice and one nan each would have to be ordered. Prices were expensive for the portion sizes. We left feeling like we'd had a decent meal but we weren't full up. A service charge was also added to our bill without asking us, which we thought was a really cheeky thing to do considering the prices.

• Visited December 2013
mrscornishpirate
“Yum yum”
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Prompt service, nice looking restaurant. Food bloomin lovely. We had the fiesty tandoori sizzler to start which was delightfully full of rich flavours and tongue tingling spices. On the border of too hot for my palate but still delicious and perfectly wonderful washed down with an ice cold cobra. My main was the classic lamb rogan josh. Tender juicy lamb in a smooth spicy gravy. My husband had the chicken jalfrezi which was really good too. Perfectly executed classic dishes. Two rice and a peshwari naan. All fresh and delicious. We paid £45 with a discount from gourmet society. Would go again.

• Visited June 2014