“Rafting review - no experience of hotel”

National Water Sports Centre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Holme Pierrepont Country Park, home of The National Water Sports Centre is a hidden gem just 10 minutes outside of Nottingham City Centre! Boasting 270 acres of country park and a 2km Regatta Lake, which as well as being great to walk, run or cycle around, also contain a huge range of activities for all ages! Activities include: - Sky Trail High Ropes Course - Mini Golf - Segways - ECombat Laser Tag - White Water Rafting - White Water Tubing - Lazy River Tubing - Wakeboarding - FootGolf - X Runner Assault Course - Children's Playground The centre also has a state-of-the-art gym with lakeside views, conference facilities, en-suite accommodation and an 18 acre campsite with Camping Arches and Tipis alongside traditional camping pitches.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Rafting review - no experience of hotel”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Paid £350 for hire of raft, instructor and wet suits for 2 hours. Plenty of waiting with 3 x 2 minute runs down the course. Manhandling the raft back to the start each time is not fun, tiring. Being in river water with run-off chemicals, animal waste and bacteria causes illness (no, cola doesn't help). Not good value compared to other options, more enjoyable ways to spend the money and the time. I reflected on these considerations before booking and still went ahead. With the experience now behind me, I would not book rafting a second time. Yes, a two-star experience, nonetheless an experience, but read on. Staff attitude contributed nothing, to put it politely. For this reason alone, I would not recommend a first booking to anyone, unless booking on behalf of a corporate team that require a salutory lesson in customer relations. The entire event can be ruined by such people, regardless of whether the earlier considerations affect your experience or not. The ethos seems to be that most people don't come back, so, once they have your money you don't matter. I am now on their "most people" list, you don't have to join me. Spend £150 on a 2-hour lunch and donate £200 to Save the Children. Divert resources from the greedy to the needy, you'll have a much bigger smile. :-)

4 Thank Asita-Piers
NWSC_Nottingham, Marketing Executive at National Water Sports Centre, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Hi,

Thank you for leaving your review and we're sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience of White Water Rafting. Can you let us know the time and date that you visited us so that we can follow this up for you?

Our White Water Rafting course is fed by natural river water from the River Trent, however we do everything we can to monitor the water quality and always outline these factors to customers on booking and arrival at the White Water Course.

Just let us know the date you visited we will look into this further.

Many thanks,

The National Water Sports Centre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Mansfield, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“White water rafting on a hen weekend.”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Not for the faint hearted. We had a great time, however, capsized twice trying to surf the rapids. The safety briefing was good - we needed all the advice. Sam, our guide, was excellent. I get the feeling he was a little disappointed when we did not want to get dunked and capsize a third time. Carrying the raft back up was a minor irritation - I guess you have to get it back up somehow. The changing rooms and toilets were clean, but impossible to be pleasant as they have people changing out of trent soaked wet suits all day. There were only communal showers and changing rooms. We all enjoyed our experience and will do it again once we have forgotten how unpleasant it is to be trapped under a capsized boat, (It seems like forever, but in reality only a second or two.) A couple of the hen party will be dreaming about Sam shouting 'GET DOWN GET DOWN' for some time yet!

Visited April 2014
We're glad to hear you all enjoyed it, and hope you all had a good Hen weekend. We are currently in the middle of refurbishing our White Water changing rooms to improve them so watch this space!
Stevenage, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Excellent weekend!”
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

I came here with my wife and daughter for the canoe regatta weekend and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Plenty of canoe/kayak races for all ages kept us busy all Saturday and Sunday. Will definitely be coming back!

Visited July 2012
Leicester, United Kingdom
“The National Water Sports Centre”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Went on a camping trip to a site just next to the National Water Sports Centre. I am not usually on for trying things like what is on offer but found my self trying out wakeboarding here. I turned out to be rubbish at it but it was an experience and was fun. It wasn't badly priced either, I think it was £20 each for a two hour session in which at the beginning you recieve a brief lesson. Overall great day out,

Visited August 2012
Lincolnshire
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Brilliant Experience”
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Came here in March for a hen do and was overall really impressed. No messing around or waiting to get started, kitted up in wet suits and helmets. Quick saftey briefing and then we were away, the instructors were very good and made sure we had the best experience possible and making sure we were comfortable with the speed and the difficulty of the course. We had a lot of fun and felt very safe, I was really scared to fall in, inevitably I did but you are watched at all times and the teams working on keeping you safe are extremely quick and got you to safety with no issues. Really great experience. My only small complaint was the changing rooms or should I say room. It would have been a lot better and nicer if they could invest in some private cubicals and have some more space.

Visited March 2012