“Good bowl of pasta...”

Price range: US$8 - US$33
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Old Volunteer is ran by Joanne, who has re-vamped The Old Volunteer to the Stylish but comfortable pub/restaurant it is today. Stephen Taylor, who runs the kitchen is an experienced and talented chef who has many years in the industry. We have a wide variety of Food on Offer to suit all tastes, with daily specials. We also offer a selection of Ales, Lagers, Spirits and Wines to suit all.
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We visited the restaurant as we had a voucher.

The pasta was tasty and reasonable portion size - I struggled to finish mine! We had prawn & asparagus and chicken & mushroom.

Dessert - average desserts, the strudel was under cooked as others have reported. The staff immediately replaced with a panna cotta with no fuss.

Service - great service and friendly staff.

Not sure if I would return as I wouldn't normally go out for pasta and the pizza menu was rather limited.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We ate here on Saturday evening using a voucher purchased for a pasta meal and a drink for two. The decor is very impressive and we received a very friendly welcome. It was a very busy evening including catering for two large parties but this didn't impact at all on the excellent service we received. We found it entertaining to see the chef dashing through the restaurant helping with service, we could almost imagine we were in Italy! Both of the pasta meals we ordered were excellenty cooked, my husband said it was one of the best pasta meals he has eaten. We were tempted by the dessert menu and ordered a banana split and an eton mess. The eton mess was certainly different from any other I have eaten previously, it was served in a biscuit basket and was absolutely delicious. We will certainly be back very soon.

2  Thank sue j
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Just because I bought a voucher to try this place out, why then should we be treated as second class,
Since my other half sent in a bad revue the restaurant offered a discount on our next meal, well thanks, but to be blunt I would not trust them, why would I wish to drive a 40 mile round trip to give them more of my money, only to be disappointed again, sorry first impressions last for us, that is why we buy the odd voucher just to give places ago, see if they are good enough to pay full price for, and to be totally honest it's NOT worth the fuel.
Anyway in regards to the restaurant it's self, we arrived A young lady looked at us with an annoyed expression and told us we were late, even after my partner called ahead some two or three hours to inform you we would be, I was hustled to my seat, although I was trying to hang back for Karen as she had to spend a penny before being seated.
The décor is lovely, and it feels nice sitting in a room separate from the pub to eat, could be a real nice dinning experience, I do miss that in most modern places, however that is about were it stops for us, the drinks are extortionate, the meal meagre, unless you go the whole hog, stater, main and desert.
One glass of very dry Rose, and a diet coke £8.25, wow, I took plenty of extra cash with me, and had we been offered the rest of the menu or the specials for a small extra fee we possibly would have gone for it, as my other half is not a spaghetti fan, but does love prawns.
However when ordering my voucher it was advertised as a pasta meal, little did we know the only pasta on offer is spaghetti, no we were told my partner could NOT have the prawns, as we were on a deal, and told we could NOT pay extra for the other things on the menu including the prawns.
When my plate was put in front of me, I could not believe it, I truly thought they had got it wrong, I thought maybe they had brought out our mains as starters, I have never seen such meagre portions anywhere in the world I have been.
I thought the idea of a voucher was the restaurants chance to blow you away, show you what they can do, however in this case, it seems you pay less, you get less.
When after four mouthfuls I had finished, we were not even offered a desert board, instead the waiter started to list off the deserts he could remember to us, and instead of sitting enjoying the ambience and thinking of what we may like, we had to think quick and pick something as he went along, I have been informed since he is very professional, that I will let anyone reading my reviews decide,
We waited ten minutes for the plates to be cleared.
So in summary,
Ambience nice, décor lovely,
Drinks very high priced, main portions, and desert portions meagre.
I have been informed the desert (Apple strudel) was home made, however I beg to differ on that one, it had definitely been fast thawed due to the pastry being soggy, however I won't get into a row as to the shop I believe it was purchased from before being frozen.
Beware of squirty cream, really a restaurant that charges the prices it does, should at the very least whip it's own proper cream and not take the easy option of squirty cream.
Personally this place needs work, I won't be going back even if offered a free evening,
The fact that my partner wrote a review entitled DON'T BOTHER, not me, and I got it in the neck for Karen's personal review and feelings really rather angered me, so I gave it a few days as I never write in ANGER.
All in all a bad experience, resulting in driving straight home after, ruined evening eating toast before getting an early night.
Karen is quite right really,
And to be honest really wish we had not BOTHERED.
Regards Mark

2  Thank MarkKarenAlways
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I were lucky enough to purchase a voucher for a two-course Italian meal. We went on a Friday night and were pleasantly surprised to be welcomed into a country pub with a lovely rustic, friendly feeling to it. There were fresh flowers on the tables. I had homemade tomato soup which was piping hot with fresh basil leaves and fresh homemade ciabatta bread too. Delicious. Our main courses were good - ample portions and tasty and we decided to have dessert too and my Eton Mess was delicious presented in a delicate tuille basket. The waiter we had knew the menu very well and was happy to describe dishes to anyone who asked. My only criticism would be that service was a little slow (maybe a little understaffed for a Friday night?), but that was forgotten when each course arrived. Will definitely eat here again. If you like Italian food - you must give this place a go.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

2 girlfriends and I ate from the Early Bird menu last Tuesday at 6pm 2 courses £9.60, 3 courses £12ish. We all had caprese salad - lots of mozzarella and tasty tomatoes with lovely salad and dressing, but could have had garlic mushrooms or soup. My friends then had prawn and salmon linguine which was excellent and I had one of the nicest chicken dishes I'd had in a long time. Large moist, well seasoned butterfly chicken breast topped with a tasty tomato based sauce, cheese and sat on a bed of new potatoes with more of the salad with dressing. The meal was let down only by the desert menu. Panna cotta, cheese and biscuits, banana split or Eton Mess (which was 'off'). A missed trick there - a semi fredo or tiramisu or something else Italian we could have enjoyed so they lost 3 x pudding orders. By the time we left at 7.30pm every table was taken which is brilliant for a Tuesday night in the stix. I would definitely go back, and my friends agreed.