“Wonderful Experience”

Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Old Volunteer is ran by Joanne, who has re-vamped The Old Volunteer to the Stylish but comfortable pub/restaurant it is today. Stephen Taylor, who runs the kitchen is an experienced and talented chef who has many years in the industry. We have a wide variety of Food on Offer to suit all tastes, with daily specials. We also offer a selection of Ales, Lagers, Spirits and Wines to suit all.
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

On a dreary , rainy Bank Holiday Monday we decided to go out for a meal as a treat. What a treat it was. The food was wonderful, the atmosphere delightful and the lady serving us could not have been nicer. The chef even took the time to ask if everything was ok...which it definitely was. I thoroughly recommend everything about The Old Volunteer.

1 Thank MontyMooMoo

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Never again!”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This was our second visit to the Old Volunteer at Caythorpe.
We were a party of four, and the meal did not start badly. The risotto ordered was good, as were the pasta, pizza and fish in a lemon sauce.
Ice cream is hard to get wrong, but the tiramisu had green patches on the side.
I was astonished to be told by the waitress "that this is what happens when espresso coffee is mixed with mascarpone cheese"
It is the first time I have ever heard that excuse! I have been unable to find any evidence of this, but the statement was later repeated by the chef.
90% of the pudding was sent back, but we were still charged, and there was no offer of any replacement. Whatever happened to "the customer is always right"?

It's much quicker to lose customers than to find them - we will not be returning!

2 Thank Janet P
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“another great meal”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Meal again great - the ribeye is wonderful! Staff are wonderful and the chef takes time to check you are enjoying the meal. Great choice of starters, mains and desert. Of course we will be back - it's a great find.

“Amazing! ”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Went to The Volunteer on Friday, with my uncle & my boyfriend. We had such a lovely meal. The staff are really helpful, attentive and accommodating. I personally felt I wasn't a customer, I felt I was a guest in their home. As for the food, we had the sharing platter for two & the bruschetta, which were really good portions and really yummy. I had beer battered cod which was wrapped in parma ham with chips, which was again a really good portion. My boyfriend had the risotto of the day, which was prawn & asparagus, which was good, & my uncle had a spaghetti dish which was on the specials, which had mushrooms , also a good portion of prawns in there too.
Great bottle of sangiovese!
Finally, the desserts. Oh my god, amazing. I'm not really a desert person, but I do love a bit of cheesecake. We ended up ordering a vanilla and yogurt cheesecake. Best cheesecake I've ever eaten. We also had the tiramisu, which was lovely & light. Then we were convinced to also try the Eton mess, which we don't regret. Best Eton mess we've all ever had. Lovely chef & thankyou to all the other staff too. We had a great time. Will defiantly be returning soon! :)

2 Thank Beanpeace
“Dinner after sailing. ”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Really cool pub. Been twice now. Good quality pub food and a lovely atmosphere. Great location too. Thank you so much :-)

1 Thank Luksen