St James Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Hart's Hotel(Nottingham)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssleep spraycrash padnottingham castleboutique hotelwhite companyfour posterthe penthousecar park next doorlovely hotelcity centrecoffee machineexecutive roombar areatop floorbreakfast was deliciousfew minutes walkstayed for one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I had a scout across alot of the reviews on here before booking and i must say, since theyre apparent revamp of the place, it is alot better then many of them suggest. the room i stayed in was a bit on the small side, but well laid out to suit it. you didn't have to walk around everything to get past and to another room, so alot done with a small space would be an apt way to describe it.

apart from that, the decor had been updated and now it on par with what you'd expect! no 80's shower heads or gross looking canvasses of dead fields!

Location is quite central and brilliant for the castle and little bars which are right on the doorstep. i wasn't at the hotel much so for a crash pad it was excellent and even if i had been there a bit more, id not have complained. bar staff were friendly and showed personality, front desk staff prompt and swift at checking in with no faffing. I'd definitely book it again over a few other places in nottingham and for price, cant be beaten!

Room Tip: go for a larger room as the small ones are as the name suggests... smaller!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Pat R, Manager at St James Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Louis
Thank you very much for leaving your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you took time to use our new bar facilities, Your kind comments regarding the staff will be passed onto the team.
I very much hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Kind Regards

Pat Roadley. Manager

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Great hotel, friendly staff, we booked two room, both on the 5th floor
One was ok but we drew short straw room was small, unable to open windows. Really not a double room and need new bed and make over.
Rest of hotel great, good breakfast. Would stay again but not in room 501
Awful. Also should have been told restaurant not open and had to got out and find somewhere to eat which was not easy many places were full.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Chris D, Director of Sales at St James Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Noella

I am sorry that we were unable to provide you with refurbished rooms, from early April the final floor of rooms will be taken off sale for refurbishment meaning that all guests arriving after this time will be guaranteed a refurbished bedroom.

Our bar and restaurant is now fully functional offering food from 12pm through to close as well as a room service menu.

Please do visit us again on your next trip to Nottingham to take advantage of our new facilities.

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Drew the short straw and got a room on the fifth floor. The room was small with only a small window and was really stuffy and warm. The room was unmodernised and was generally tatty and well overdue a full makeover. No iron or ironing board in the room and the TV didn't work. The breakfast was OK but a very limited choice of both cold and hot options. Staff pleasant enough and apologetic about the overall state of the place. On checking out the advised us the hotel was being upgraded this week and will be renamed St James hotel. Let's see if it gets any better but on this experiance will not be returning after spending over £80 ( and the bar was very expensive with a limited range).

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your feedback, I am sorry to hear that we were unable to allocate you one of our refurbished bedrooms on this occasion. I am pleased to advise that from early April everyone checking in will be guaranteed a refurbished room and irons and ironing boards will also be placed in the rooms.

Please accept my apology for this issue you experienced with your TV, this has now been rectified.

I very much hope that you will visit us on your next trip to Nottingham, please do contact me directly via the hotels main number if you have a return trip planned and I will ensure you are offered a complimentary upgrade.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

My partner and I stayed here last weekend, it was a bit of a last minute booking with a choice between Rutland and Britannia and I can safely say we made the right decision.
The hotel is right next door to the car park and the hotel gives you a discount card that reduces you're parking fee to half price.
The lobby and seating area is absolutely gorgeous, thankfully the bar had been officially reopened on the day of which we arrived!! They serve the breakfast in this area in the morning, it was a little bit disorganised but this can be forgiven as the reception had told us this was the first day the kitchen was back in action and for this price you can't complain - a continental and English buffet.
When we booked we knew the hotel was still undergoing refurbishment and I had specifically asked for a refurbished room and I'd like to thank the reception staff for accommodating our request. However the room was quite small (in fact smaller than our double bedroom back at home) and it wasn't until we went to sleep that we realised we could hear everything going on around us, especially as we were by the lifts. At times we found the room quite cold, even when we had the little radiator on full blast but I think this is due to the bedding - unfortunately I am a firm believe in a proper duvet and I think the hotel's bedding (2 thin sheets and throw) would be more appropriate and suitable for a warmer climate.
Although I do have some faults, overall I can't complain - we paid £115 for 2 nights. Britannia hotel was £10 cheaper for the same dates but it is such an ugly building. Although our room was quite small one of the maids had let me peep into another room and that was much bigger, so next time I will ask for a bigger room (and yes there will be a next time). This hotel is by far one of the best in Nottingham and the staff do try very hard to accommodate all requests. It is ideally situated, with the beautiful backdrop of the castle at the end of the road it really is worth staying here and being totally honest we looked at a lot of hotels before choosing this one, we knew what to expect and the hotel met those expectations, yes it looks every bit a 5* hotel but such as the heating and bedding those are probably the reasons it hasn't quite got that accolade as of yet but I am sure if the hotel listen to its customers complaints and actively try to fix it then it will soon be on top form.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Music_and_Malibu

Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking your time to leave your feedback, your comments are much appreciated.

I am glad to see that the refurbishment of the hotel was to your liking and that you found your stay to be value for money. I am pleased to advise you that as part of the refurbishment program we will also be upgrading the bedding in all rooms which will be completed over the next few weeks.

I very much hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Nottingham

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed last night with my sister in a twin room and had a fantastic stay. The room and whole hotel were furnished beautifully and really comfy beds!! It is very central to the city which was perfect for us as well. The ladies behind reception were very welcoming, friendly and chatty and were more than happy to help with our questions. The girl working in the bar last night was also very friendly along with lovely service from the two staff on at breakfast. It's so refreshing to have so many enthusiastic and friendly faces working in a hotel! Thanks for a great stay :)

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank AW8567
Pat R, Manager at St James Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your positive comments with regards to the hotel and staff, I will pass on your comments to the team, they are very much appreciated,
I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Kind Regards