“Check in - then out in less than 50 minutes!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
St James Hotel
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
London, United Kingdom
“Check in - then out in less than 50 minutes!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Little did i know this hotel was the old Rutland SQ Hotel in Nottingham city centre. Website looked good so I booked in the day of arrival. Once at the hotel I needed to park! Car park next to the hotel and next to the bins! The hotel is at the latter part of a £5 million redevelopment. Who ever the new owners are that definitely saw you coming! Even Dick Turpin wore a mask!

The reception looked good - modern and funky, alas thats where it stopped. I first checking in to room 403 - a world record breaking room for size. Me and a carry on flight bag and the room was packed! On a parr to the Hudson or Sanderson in New York! Owners you should be ashamed! The rooms has obviously just had a lick of pain and a funky light shad added from the old Rutland sq hotel. The pain smell was overpowering! Ten bathrooms looked like something out of my grandparents home in 1970! On a par with a bad ibis!

I toyed to connect to wifi with no use - I went to reception who was helpful and gave me another room. Great time for some me time! No suck look the room was terrible! Please see picture of the bed! I called reception as it seems something was missing from the bed. She quickly dispatched a waiter to investigate. A sweet kid with no experience ... Forgivable! I asked him to look at the bed he said..... Eeerrrmmm not sure what I'm looking at...beds are not my thing!

I trudged back to reception only to be moved again! The room as ok again the bathroom very disappointing- ok I think I'm sorted!

Only to find again no wifi, I returned to reception and the team were unable to answer phones it seems!

I informed then I would be checking out and looking for alternative accommodation, which I did at reception as its the only place it seemed to work.

I left and made my way to the lace market hotel where I spent the night, where I am writing this review for you now! Stay away from St James ... Terrible Horrible Cheap and Nasty!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Paul B
Oscar S, Director of Sales at St James Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Paul

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I am very sorry to hear of the issues that you experienced during your stay.

Regarding the room size of our Crash Pad rooms we fully acknowledge that the floor space in the rooms is limited and we therefore ensure that we do not mask this in the room descriptions that you will find on any online booking tool and most importantly that the rooms are priced accordingly for guests who have a limited budget but still want a comfortable room in the city centre with all the modern conveniences that you would expect.

We have been experiencing some issues with WiFi connectivity in certain areas of the hotel. As a result new and additional routers have been installed which has rectified the problem.

As you will undoubtedly have seen the comments we have received recently in relation to the refurbishment of the hotel have been extremely positive so please accept my sincere apology that your brief stay with us did not live up to expectations.

I very much hope that you will consider staying with us again on your next trip to Nottingham. In this case please do contact me directly via the hotel and I will certainly ensure a preferential rate if offered to you to give us the opportunity to deliver the level of service that we pride ourselves on.

Regards

Chris Davis, Head of Corporate Sales.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
midland, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed at the Rutland Square Hotel (now the St James Hotel) a couple of weeks ago for a friends wedding. Although I live locally I hadn't been inside the hotel a years and I have to say the transformation is remarkable. What I remember as being pretty dated 80's decor is now really modern and the reception area is quite grand with big, yet modern chandeliers.
We were given an executive room which was large and had also been refurbished. The bed was very comfortable and you could hear a pin drop which is unusual for a city centre hotel.
The bar and lounge wasn't fully open but the staff told us it would only be another few days so and the decor in there was also very impressive.
Overall I would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Pat R, Manager at St James Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback it is much appreciated.
So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to see you again soon.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

The reception area has a WOW feeling, receptionist on arrival was extremely helpful and polite. Our room was newly furnished and exceptionally clean and of good size. The window opened (some hotels are very stuffy due to not being able to open windows!). Nice to have a bath and shower also. We had one problem with the room (610). When we wanted to go to sleep we only then was aware of the noise, thinking it was the air con/heating which could be resolved we found it to come from beyond a cupboard outside on the landing directly next to our room. I called reception and they offered for us to move rooms which we did not want to do at 11.30 p.m. however, no rooms were available, so they would endeavour to sort out the noise. We were very pleased that they did and the noise ceased although I was aware it came back on in the morning. It sounded like a heating boiler or may be an extractor fan from the kitchen? Think it is something that the hotel should address. The receptionists again were very helpful again, ordering us a taxi to go to our evening venue and giving us a map in the morning helping us with our shopping trip. The breakfast was brilliant. The crockery and a nice touch having a cafeteria of coffee also. The quality was excellent, including the continental meat platter and selection of home baked bread. The waitressing staff were well presented and polite. As I had suffered a burn to my finger due to my hair straighteners, the waitress brought me a bowl of ice. All in all, I think the hotel is excellent, we felt we were not in the run of the mill chain hotel and loved the décor and bar areas where you can sit in comfort, The price is good and I certainly would recommend this hotel and revisit.

Room Tip: To be aware of the twin room 610 to avoid the noise from the cupboard outside on the landing if it h...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank snapeshirley
Oscar S, Manager at St James Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you. We are delighted you like the refurbishment and look forward to seeing you again.
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

The customer service was first class, great room, incredibly comfortable bed, great shower, very clean and excellent breakfast. The staff made it though - very friendly, welcoming and professional. I will stay again

Pat R, Manager at St James Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Kate,
Many thanks for your positive comments, they are very much appreciated, I'am very glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

fantastic hotel. the staff are first class and the rooms are very well fitted out and extremely comfortable. I highly recommend this hotel and am now a regular. The breakfast is excellent and there are now bar and restaurant facilities

Room Tip: The exec rooms have much bigger beds
1 Thank geoff_newton
Pat R, Manager at St James Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Geoff,
Many thanks for your positive comments, they are much appreciated. Our staff have worked very hard over recent months to improve the quality of the hotel.
I hope you will continue to enjoy your stays with us.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I recently stayed at the hotel and I found the staff to be very welcoming. The manager Gary was very accommodating, also very courteous and nothing was too much for him to do when breakfast was served. The breakfast was absolutely delicious and a very wide choice to choose from too. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Pat R, Manager at St James Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your positive comments they are much appreciated.
I am glad to see that you enjoyed your breakfast and that all our staff were welcoming, I will pass on your comments to the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

The staff at the Rutland Square are exceptional. The hotel is undergoing a re-furb and is a family owned establishment. Much more interesting than a typical run of the mill corporate hotel. Lovely location, great breakfast and you can find a large, quiet room if you ask! I wasn't sure at first as the hotel was in transition however can now recommend it. They are really trying and are making the necessary changes to improve the experience for guests. My one ask: Duvets please on the beds - would be so much nicer.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a quiet room - and the 6th floor is good - executive rooms if budget allows.
Pat R, Manager at St James Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for going to the trouble of leaving your feedback, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel met with your expectations, I will be sure to pass your comments onto the team. As part of the refurbishment program the bedding in all rooms will be upgraded which will be completed in the next few weeks.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.